Board logo

Fuel Pump Position (for Bike Carbs)?
Dick Axtell - 20/6/17 at 01:25 PM

Here's q Question for LCB-ers running bike carbs on their car engines.

Where did you mount the fuel pump? I am referring specifically to dedicated fuel pumps, for bike carbs.

Does the pump have to be on a level with the fuel tank outlet? Or can you mount this type of pump higher than the fuel tank?

r1_pete - 20/6/17 at 02:05 PM

Close to the tank and as low as possible, these pumps dont 'suck' very well, as on the bike they are under the tank and gravity fed.

They will work in other positions but cavitation on 1st start up, and after a lay off will occur, the pump will run dry for a period, overheat, and have a shorter life.

johnemms - 20/6/17 at 02:05 PM

Mines bolted to the fuel tank - filter before - filter after..
Built for the job never a problem

Dick Axtell - 20/6/17 at 02:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
Close to the tank and as low as possible, these pumps dont 'suck' very well, as on the bike they are under the tank and gravity fed.
They will work in other positions but cavitation on 1st start up, and after a lay off will occur, the pump will run dry for a period, overheat, and have a shorter life.

Thanks for this useful info. Confirms what I suspected re bike installation.

SJ - 20/6/17 at 03:21 PM

I initially had mine in the engine bay and after a while it started to keep pumping when it should have stopped. Not sure if it was cavitation but the problem went when I relocated it to near the tank outlet.

Stu