Board logo

Sierra (pinto) 2.0i EFI Sohc crankshaft pulley
dr-fastlane - 4/1/20 at 12:18 AM

During replacement of the timing belt i‘ve noticed that the crankshaft pulley is in bad condition. The pulley seems to have some rubber vulcanized in the middle that has cracks

It’s a two V-belt-type pulley from the Ford sierra (pinto) 2.0i EFI Sohc engine ’89 , engine code N4B with modified inlet & exhaust manifolds. Non other upgrades done.

Now I’m in search for a new one. Does anyone a OEM number or knows a one V-belt type alternative because I’m only use the back grove of the two?

mcerd1 - 4/1/20 at 04:59 PM

the rubber is a vibration dampener - you don't need it, the older pinto engines used solid single v pulleys

if you search on ebay you'll get a few, but watch out for cracked ones and larger diameter ones (the larger size was for low revving engines in transits / P100's )

or you can get brand new ones here:
https://www.burtonpower.com/steel-crankshaft-4-v-pulley-ford-sohc-pinto-ft225.html

jollygreengiant - 4/1/20 at 05:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
the rubber is a vibration dampener - you don't need it, the older pinto engines used solid single v pulleys

if you search on ebay you'll get a few, but watch out for cracked ones and larger diameter ones (the larger size was for low revving engines in transits / P100's )

https://www.burtonpower.com/steel-crankshaft-4-v-pulley-ford-sohc-pinto-ft225.html

BUT, they DO have a different fit of the pulley onto the crankshaft, IIRC the EFI pulleys are a tighter fit and I think its because the crankshaft nose is fractionally bigger. IF it helps, even when new they were prone to the rubber cracking. personally I wouldn't bother changing it, unless you do actually have play in it.

snapper - 4/1/20 at 09:10 PM

There are only 2 crankshaft types for the Pinto/Cosworth variants, Cosworth is different to Pinto therefore Pinto is the same for all non Cosworth variants.
You can swap out the auxiliary pulleys for singles on both crank and alternator

dr-fastlane - 4/1/20 at 11:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jollygreengiant

BUT, they DO have a different fit of the pulley onto the crankshaft, IIRC the EFI pulleys are a tighter fit and I think its because the crankshaft nose is fractionally bigger. IF it helps, even when new they were prone to the rubber cracking. personally I wouldn't bother changing it, unless you do actually have play in it.

There is no play into it but the cracks look bad that it doesn't feel good to put ik back on the engine again.
Description
Description

quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1

I believe this one is smaller than the original one.

Found out that the dubble belt pulley could be the 78HM 6A312AA (Finis 6052437) and has the 11,7mm outside diameter. And could be a official replacment part for the cracking factory pulley.
The single belt pulley could be the 85HM 6312 DA (6145613)

dr-fastlane - 15/1/20 at 07:43 PM

Found a second hand mk2 transit massieve double belt pulley. Machined the smaller front groove off to get rid of unnecessary weight. Thanks for the help!