Board logo

Considering a Engine Swap
toolate - 21/3/22 at 01:10 PM

Hi All

I have a relatively well powered and solid 212bhp Zetec engine in my kitcar (9k on the clock from crate). I am considering moving to a 1.6 Ecoboost.

The ecoboost prices seem to be going up and up.

Wondering if anyone had done the swap. I it worth it and is there good value in my engine?

Thanks
TooLate

big_wasa - 21/3/22 at 01:25 PM

If your engine has the right bits then it has good value for the kit and classic car scene.
I would say having turbo’d a 7 it really wasn’t for me. Plumbing and heat management in such a small car is also hard work.

toolate - 21/3/22 at 01:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
If your engine has the right bits then it has good value for the kit and classic car scene.
I would say having turbo’d a 7 it really wasn’t for me. Plumbing and heat management in such a small car is also hard work.

Thanks for the reply.

I do know cooling can be hard work for low temps but i am seeing more threads on WSCC of people doing 1.6 conversions. Problem is a basic engine on ebay is £1500!

perksy - 21/3/22 at 10:20 PM

Zetec is a good engine & set-up and yours has decent power in a 7 type car

Guess it depends what you want to use it for, but is it really worth all that's involved?

There's known issues with both the 1 litre and 1.6 litre Ecoboost engines (when used in their original guise) and Ford issued a recall
(Iirc BBC Watchdog covered the issue/s)

Perhaps this is why the prices for used engines has gone up ?

Charlie_Zetec - 23/3/22 at 12:15 PM

I know Westfield use the Ecoboost in their Sport 250 models, but I've also heard plenty horror stories about cracks in the bores. There is a solution to this which involves machining and top-hat liners, but think the cost of this is about £2k.... If you're after an upgrade, think about the (well-trodden) path or adding a turbo to the Zetec rather than whole engine swap.

Deckman001 - 23/3/22 at 02:40 PM

Just a thought, check the inlet and exhaust directions across the head as I think they might be in opposite directions between a zetec and an ecoboost engine.

pigeondave - 23/3/22 at 06:50 PM

I'd agree with perksy, you need to ask yourself what you're going to use it for.

I have a tuned 2.0 zetec in the Fury and in reality it's too quick for the road as is. I don't track it (I've done 2 track days) and mainly use it for tour.

IMO I felt more of a hero on the old 1.8 using 3/4 throttle than in the 2.0 using 1/2.

If you're going to use it and you can deal with the hassle of an engine swap, then go for it.

You didn't say what style car.

MagicalTrevor - 12/5/22 at 11:51 AM

I have a 1.6 Ecoboost in the for sale section. https://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/34/viewthread.php?tid=219355

Fortunately, it has everything you need to fit it into your car.

Aside from the engine I'm selling, if you buy an engine straight from a Fiesta then you'll find it's very bulky with lots of bits that aren't needed. There are vacuum pipes for emissions, a massive alternator and other bits.
SBD and Dave Gemzoe sell lots of bits that blank these things off and make the installation simpler for race car/kit car installation. It's also highly recommended that you install a Dry Sump. They cost £2k.

If you want to chat about what I had to get to fit it all in my car then I'm happy to have a chat, whether you're interested in my engine or not. I've got a bit of experience in the process.

Benzine - 12/5/22 at 12:45 PM

I'd keep it as is and look at electric in another 5+ years. Petrol is going to be an insane cost by then

David Jenkins - 12/5/22 at 02:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
I'd keep it as is and look at electric in another 5+ years. Petrol is going to be an insane cost by then

I considered that for my car - until I saw the cost of the components!

David Jenkins - 12/5/22 at 03:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Benzine

I considered that for my car - until I saw the cost of the components! It is quite scary stuff to work on as well, with 300v - 400v batteries, incredibly high currents, plus controllers, chargers, etc, etc. IVA would be a nightmare as well, as they would be looking for professional installations.

Following on from your comments about fuel cost, there will also be the problem of availability of fuel - petrol stations are already starting to disappear (they have been for a while) and when electric cars become more common, and less fuel is sold, fewer people will want to stock it for sale.

[Edited on 12/5/22 by David Jenkins]