Board logo

Vauxhall/Opel to Ford adapters
PerspexIt - 27/3/03 at 05:43 PM

Hi,

i'm thinking about Vauxhall (Opel) 1.6 16v engine.
I saw the SBDEV web site:

http://www.sbdev.co.uk

Just sent an email for get a quote of the adapter.
Anybody know other Sierra box adapter manufacturers? And/or have an idea of the prices?

Regards,
-P

[Edited on 27/3/03 by PerspexIt]

Sparky - 28/3/03 at 12:59 AM

Unless you absolutely have to have a type 9, I've got an all alloy 5 speed Getrag out of a Manta 'J' series, along with the prop, a very light flywheel and a quickshift mechanism.

I've got an inline alloy sump to fit your 16 valve lump too!

Let me know if you're interested

PerspexIt - 28/3/03 at 07:44 AM

Hi Sparky,

the problem is in my country will be close to impossible to find a Manta but it's full of rusty Sierras.

Send your box will cost me too much, i think.
Thank you anyway.
-P

rgv_stu - 28/3/03 at 12:54 PM

the manta box is a for a big block vauxhall

the 16v 1.6 is small block so needs a smaller box.

get one from sbd

Sparky - 28/3/03 at 06:40 PM

Stu, just to clear this up, this was a 1985 Manta 1800 OHC (same engine as the front wheel drive Cavalier) with the all alloy Getrag 5 speed box.

As far as I'm aware, the front wheel drive bellhousing patterns, including those for the 'J' series engine and the 16 valve engines, are identical.

If I'm wrong, I apologise.

carnut - 28/3/03 at 10:18 PM

Try Caterham they used to run vauxhall to type 9 box. They will most likely keep bellhousing and all adapters for use as spare parts.

dutchsuperseven - 30/3/03 at 10:33 AM

Try using a Omega 5-speeder. This box will fit 1.8/2.0 ohc engine. It might fit the 1.6 8v/16v. It's only for IRS aplication because it has got a flange at the drive-shaft side ( so no length compensation for live axle). It's a alloy box, so it's light as well!