Board logo

tooter
Mr Whippy - 8/4/08 at 10:48 AM

Trumpets on carbs...I take it that since the manifold length affects the torque or power of the engine then the trumpet length too has a roll in this? y/n, could this then be the reason me thinks as to the outrageous length this things can get sometimes or was that just to look mental??

ditchlewis - 8/4/08 at 11:01 AM

Great mind think alike i was going to ask this very question. shorter manifold, more ponies longer manifold more torque... is this the same for trumpets?

i have 45mm trumpets, thinking of fitting 25mm trumpets, is this more horse power lower down and less torque and higher up the rev range?

more ponies sounds good, with such a light car torque is not such a big issue

ditch

Stuart_B - 8/4/08 at 11:17 AM

I have a long manifold on my bike carbs and short trumpets, does it do the same thing on bike carbs?

stuart

blakep82 - 8/4/08 at 11:19 AM

oooh, is that the difference it makes? hmmm, do i want more power or torque? i've got to start making my manifold you see. been putting it off because i didn't know what difference it makes

leto - 8/4/08 at 03:43 PM

Ponies = torque x revs So you can't trade one for the other. By altering the total length of the manifold you can move a torque peak. For fast acceleration you want the peak at the rev you land at when you shift to a higher gear

MikeRJ - 8/4/08 at 03:52 PM

The tuned length of the induction system is from the back of the valve to the end of the trumpets. So the answer is yes they do have an effect which is why you can get them in different lengths.