Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Possibility - Part time turbo
Ninehigh

posted on 18/4/09 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Possibility - Part time turbo

I'm quite sure the turbo on my mondeo only kicks in at just under 2000rpm, so I'm thinking is it possible to fit a turbo and wastegate etc. and then run the whole thing through a switch so I can have "sedate mode" and "scare the passenger" mode?

blakep82

posted on 18/4/09 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
have you been watching mad max, with the switch on/off supercharger? lol

i don't think its really possible, unless you spend big money on systems where you you can alter the boost while driving etc.

[Edited on 18/4/09 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

dinosaurjuice

posted on 18/4/09 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
as kool as it would be to have a big switch labelled 'TURBO' on the dash. i cant see the point. if you want to drive carefully, back off the loud pedal...

wastegates are old hat now. its all about VGT.

Ninehigh

posted on 18/4/09 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Ooh new stuff what's vgt?

clairetoo

posted on 18/4/09 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Just fit a hugely oversize turbo - no boost till it's really working , then loads till it goes BANG

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

Ninehigh

posted on 18/4/09 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Good point, maybe I could steal a truck turbo from work

dinosaurjuice

posted on 18/4/09 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
Ooh new stuff what's vgt?

variable geometry turbine.

clever moving parts which widen the boost range.

aerosam

posted on 18/4/09 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
variable geometry..... something!

it has been done many times with superchargers by replacing the drive pulley with the electronic clutch from an a/c compressor and rigging up an appropriate switch.

I believe it can be done with the wastegate on a turbo but sorry I'm a bit light on how!

Had enough of this dictatorship known as LCB. Gone elsewhere, not coming back. Kiss my ass ChrisW.

aerosam

posted on 18/4/09 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
damn, must post faster!

Had enough of this dictatorship known as LCB. Gone elsewhere, not coming back. Kiss my ass ChrisW.

Antnicuk

posted on 18/4/09 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
its easy, just fit any turbo, get a really low pressure wastegate spring, then use a bleed valve (£10) to adjust the boost, the difference between 3psi of boost and 15 psi could be as much 200 bhp depending on set up.

600 BHP per ton, Stylus Brought back from the dead! Turbo Rotary Powered!

Ninehigh

posted on 18/4/09 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aerosam
damn, must post faster!

Lol I was barely off the page before the first replies came through! Shall have to look up this variable turbo thingy see what comes up. The idea was I could use it like a cheap kind of nitrous, press the button for more power

Edit: Aha adjustable boost, now I've even seen that done back in the days I read Max Power!

[Edited on 18/4/09 by Ninehigh]

Ninehigh

posted on 18/4/09 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
Ok I'm looking round for units and they're mostly saying something like "Suited for 200+bhp"

Would that be the original engine power or the increase in power? If it's the latter £750 for triple the power is well worth the money to me!

It's the original power isn't it?

Liam

posted on 18/4/09 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
I'm with dinosaurjuice - why?

You can control the boost/power with that pedal under your right foot. Why ad more complexity/expense?

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ninehigh

posted on 18/4/09 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
Oh yeah it's just an idea, to see if it's at least theoretically possible. I get the feeling that the speed I drive at will be governed by two things though, one being the "testicular fortitude" of myself, the second being the capability of the vehicle to stay on the road... If I can restrict the second one when I should I might live longer lol.

Really it's for economy, doesn't matter how much power the engine can give when I'm doing 65 in motorway traffic so why not cut that fuel drain in those times and I can open it right up for the racetrack? I agree with the extra complication though

James

posted on 18/4/09 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
Jasper has a little gadget box on the dashboard with a button to switch between 2 different boost settings. It's just done by varying the waste gate I believe.

It's fitted to his 200sx engined car.

Approx £350 from the states IIRC. Ask him for details.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Simon

posted on 19/4/09 at 12:35 AM Reply With Quote
I didn't know Mondeos had turbos, or is it a weasel, in which case you'll need all the boost it already has

ATB

Simon

Ninehigh

posted on 19/4/09 at 12:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
I didn't know Mondeos had turbos, or is it a weasel, in which case you'll need all the boost it already has

ATB

Simon

Ok it's a turbo diesel, but the theory around what I'm thinking off should be the same

Simon

posted on 19/4/09 at 12:45 AM Reply With Quote
No, it won't I'm afraid. A diesel designed with a turbo, and (effectively) running without (which I guess you're suggesting, part time at least) will be gutless.

My Espace turbo comes in around same (2000) rpm, but I think that it's a deffo economy thing. If I drive (in top) at 1800 rpm (approx 50mph) I'll get well over 50mpg, if I'm over say 2200rpm, approx 75, I'll get 35mpg - all down to being in the turbo "always on mode". Below the 1800 rpm while accelerating, you can hear the turbo (a vgt jobby obviously mapped to provide boost while accelerating, be off boost asap, but, naturally needs boost some point (being approx 2000rpm to provide enough ooomph to carry job on).

ATB

Simon

Ninehigh

posted on 19/4/09 at 12:49 AM Reply With Quote
Thing is I'm talking on the locost, wouldn't the non-turbo mode be just as powerful as it would be without the turbo? The engine I have in line doesn't have one now...

What I'm saying is would fitting a turbo on afterwards and then having that turbo not running for a period choke the engine or would the air come through in the same manner it previously did?

[Edited on 19/4/09 by Ninehigh]

A1

posted on 19/4/09 at 01:03 AM Reply With Quote
vgts been around for a wee while, lots of marine applications have them, and i believe some porsches use it to...
basically theres a ring of vanes that open and shut depending on gas flow, so you get higher pressures for lower velocity by reducing the inlet size. could probably use a diagram here

Ivan

posted on 19/4/09 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
At low boost times, i.e. when you're cruising along on a trailing throttle, in petrol engines that is pulling a vacuum and in diesels feeding very little fuel, the turbo just idles along spinning just fast enough to pass the air needed and supplying zero boost, so it is a negligible restriction to air flow, most probably no worse than the normal air filter.

So there is no point trying to pull it out of the induction system in those circumstances.

The answer to a switchable boost increase is a switchable bleed valve in the pressure sensing line to the wastegate and a suitable fuel/timing curve in the ems or one that is also switchable and of course the right selection of turbo that is happy at both boost levels.

Antnicuk

posted on 19/4/09 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
i'd have a read up on how turbos work, at cruise with no load they are not using anymore fuel than a N/A engine. They only use more fuel when they are creating positive boost which occurs when you put more load on the engine.

You can switcheable boost for £10, just buy a cosworth amal valve, it is a solanoid which switches between high and low boost. All manufactures use something simiar, the wastegate is set to a low pressure and the ecu controls the solanoid that can increase it. Its a safety ,measure so the ecu can reduce the boost to prevent pinking if the engine runs hot etc.

Antnicuk

posted on 19/4/09 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
sorry ivan, didnt read your post until after i had posted.

MikeRJ

posted on 19/4/09 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Antnicuk
i'd have a read up on how turbos work, at cruise with no load they are not using anymore fuel than a N/A engine.

Sadly this is not true for performance engines. A normally aspirated engine can use a higher CR (higher thermal efficiency) and will likely have lower pumping losses than a turbocharged engine off-boost.

Engines designed purely for economy (e.g. Smart) that start with a high CR and have low boost pressure can give around the same economy as a NA engine off boost, but power potential is limited.

Liam

posted on 20/4/09 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
But it may as well be true for the OP's situation. Cruising in traffic off-boost it is true to say that removing the idling turbo from the system will give negligable mpg gains. That's because the mpg damage is done, as you say, by the relatively low CR of his turbo engine, not the presence of the turbo. What he really wants is an adjustable CR button - not really an option!

liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.