Poll: Best Format for Listening to Music... [View Results]
Vinyl
CD
WAV
Other (please state in thread)

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Best Format for Listening to Music...
scootz

posted on 22/11/11 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
Best Format for Listening to Music...

So what is it (other than live!)...

It's Evolution Baby!

ceebmoj

posted on 22/11/11 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
I have ripped every thing to flack at home for the master copy played with a Sonos system and transcode to ogg if I need a smaller copy on the go. Having said that years of loud music and cars means I doubt I can tell the differenced any more . http://vortexbox.org/ makes it all very easy and will even work as an iTunes sever if you are using apple products.

[Edited on 22/11/11 by ceebmoj]

steve m

posted on 22/11/11 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
On my own,

no f*****g interuptions !

D Beddows

posted on 22/11/11 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
Vinyl for purely nostalgic reasons..........too much sh*te is talked about music reproduction if you ask me if the tune's good who cares really
balidey

posted on 22/11/11 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
Minidisc.
I really enjoyed that format.
I'm too young to be a vinyl fan, and I get bored with the arguments from vinyl fans... change the record
I always fancied a DAT player, for no reason other than to say I have one. But I went for minidisc instead.
I don't have an MP3 player, but occasionally (very occasionally) I will put an MP3 on my phone or PC, but thats about it. if i want an album now I tend to buy, or atleast try and buy, on CD.

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

Agriv8

posted on 22/11/11 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
high bit rate mp3 highest bit rate you can ripped of cd and dumped on nas at home network .

from there to phone listenning to this on phone as i type.

or PC to Amp

or to cd for car get 3 albums per cd

non system / pc dependant

regards agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

iank

posted on 22/11/11 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
flak is lossless compression i.e. 100% CD quality (same as wav), but with all the advantages of mp3's. Files are bigger than mp3 but smaller than wav.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

britishtrident

posted on 22/11/11 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
SD card.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

blakep82

posted on 22/11/11 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
they all work if you just want to listen
for dance music, in a club, vinyl. got fed up of DJs standing there pressing play on mix they did the night before on a laptop, and getting paid for having no skill. vinyl sorts the men from the boys
in the car or at home for me, its CD, got no interest in downloading albums off the internet, I want something i can actually hold in my hand when i buy something.
if i just want to listen to a tune without having to buy it, youtube is good enough for me...

in short, never mp3

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Confused but excited.

posted on 22/11/11 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
High end gear + vinyl every time.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

deltron63

posted on 22/11/11 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
I wonder how many people listen to the " sound of the music " rather than the music it's self ?
I know i did for many years, now i listen on anything.

Ninehigh

posted on 22/11/11 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
I'll go for MP3 because it's good enough for what I do. I have no high-end stuff and it's clear enough through my car..

scootz

posted on 22/11/11 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
I'm certainly not an audiophile, but I want to hear everything that was intended to be heard!

It's Evolution Baby!

blakep82

posted on 22/11/11 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
CD is your best bet then
all the others are compressed, so they lack something. when i was a college, the lecturer did a test with us between CD and minidisc. minidisc is compressed so that it removes all the stuff you can't hear, but that stuff also affects the stuff you CAN hear, so its never going to be the same.
this was when MP3 was new really, so we didn't do it with MP3

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

JoelP

posted on 22/11/11 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
cd for me, though i get tired of having 30 cds falling around the van.

iank

posted on 22/11/11 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
CD is your best bet then
all the others are compressed, so they lack something. when i was a college, the lecturer did a test with us between CD and minidisc. minidisc is compressed so that it removes all the stuff you can't hear, but that stuff also affects the stuff you CAN hear, so its never going to be the same.
this was when MP3 was new really, so we didn't do it with MP3

Wav isn't compressed, it's just a computer file with every bit on the CD, problem over mp3's are they are huge.
Flak is compressed but no bits are lost so the files are smaller, but it's still as perfect as the CD.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

nick205

posted on 22/11/11 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
On my own,

Aint that the damned truth of it

Used to spend hours just me and my hifi; vinyl and CD both have their merits. CDs/LPs are all packed under the stairs along with the hifi

The car is the only place I get to listen on my own any more and unless you're going to spend big money on a decent system it's limited quality.

Now have all the CDs ripped to WMA loss less format on a NAS and stream to the TV in the lounge and mini hifi in the kitchen. Files converted to smaller MP3 files for phone listening on the move and piled on a few CDs for the car.

Simon

posted on 22/11/11 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
8 track, though having only listened to one about 30 years ago, posterity may make me think it was better than it actually was

Otherwise MP3 as it cuts out "i" products

ATB

Simon

r1_pete

posted on 22/11/11 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Early 60s Chantal Meteor jukebox and 45s
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theduck

posted on 22/11/11 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Vinyl for me and I'm only young lol. Analogue gives you something digital can't.
HowardB

posted on 22/11/11 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
cd, hifi in the cellar so it cut's all the extra unwanted rubbish out. Total immersion without stressing the neighbours or the missus.

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

SteveWalker

posted on 22/11/11 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
On my own,

Definitely - although until the kids are a bit older, I can't even set my system up again or it'll get wrecked.

Currently listening to any of my Sansa Clip+ / car radio / Garmin Satnav via car stereo / Ancient Sharp portable stereo.

When I can get set up again, I'll revert to my Arcam Alpha 5+ CD player, Velleman pre-amp, Velleman valve amp and Mission 752 speakers - 7 bloody years it's been in storage and our youngest is only 3

happylemon666

posted on 22/11/11 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
cd for me. On my hi-end mostly US solid state (Theta & Krell) hi-fi on floating rack (Townsend audio) and Kef Reference speakers (to be replaced with home design when I get around to it).

But mostly it's as already stated - on my own and uninterrupted, and if you're enjoying what you're listening too, doesn't really matter that much. I use wma and mp3 on my little player thingy to play through the tape deck in the car!

morcus

posted on 23/11/11 at 03:57 AM Reply With Quote
I'm a vinyl man for a number of reasons. The sound is better, but that isn't the most important thing by a long way, The best thing about vinyl is the bits that go with it, the armoured boxes the LP's live in, the pictures and sleave notes that are big enough to see and read propperly, the hunt for old stuff and the excitment of getting new stuff in the post, the fine tuning of all the dials to make it just right, having an album on 4 (Or 6 or 8 or...) sides and all that stuff.

For the car, cassette was better but CD is acceptable. I don't like downloading music, I like buying a new record and hearing it on the way home from town. I personally think CD is too delicate for the car as I've had discs damaged by the machine due to pot holes, and the difficulty of changing a CD on the move without touching the shiny side (Even as a passenger) means cassette would be my first choice, that and the fun of making cassettes for the car which isn't quite the same with CD, it took more skill.

'DJs' who can't spin disks should be shot.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

v8kid

posted on 23/11/11 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
Don't bother with recorded stuff. Get a life and just go listen live - even middling bands sound great by comparison to recorded stuff and you also benifit fron the social interaction.
Anyhow who has the time to waste listening to cd's et al when you could be achieving something of your own?

If you must it's the radio for me as the best of a poor compromise

cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.