Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: No tax cars and 'green' policy parking. FFS
tasmod

posted on 17/5/12 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
No tax cars and 'green' policy parking. FFS

This is making my blood boil.

ASDA has decided that the first two rows of parking at it's stores will be for Band A cars (No tax) and the others can just sod off further back. They soon intend to add banding further back.

FFS what makes them believe it's right to decide what car I drive and penalise me

Sheffield City Council is implementing the same policy on ALL city centre parking spaces. Any car not Band A has to use private parking.
The upshot is that private parking is going to soar in cost shortly.

NCP are going to add a minimum of £1 to the already exorbitant prices.

This despite Sheffield Council declaring that the city centre must regenerate to survive. They are doing their damndest to make it not work though !!

I would really like to see the first brave council take the decision to experiment with no parking charges for a year and increase parking availability.
Let's see what happens to the businesses then, whether they experience an upsurge, as I believe, in business.

Rob

tilly819

posted on 17/5/12 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
dont buy a tax disc, then your car is is tax free

F20C Haynes roadster 440 BHP/Tonne www.youtube.com/handmadeextreme

Slimy38

posted on 17/5/12 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
One of the reasons why out of town shopping centres work so well is that they generally come with free parking. Who is going to go to Sheffield centre and pay up to a tenner to park for the day when Meadowhall is ten minutes down the road and free parking?

Increasing parking charges and favouring free tax vehicles will work wonders to make town centres a pollution free place... no b***er will be there!!

tasmod

posted on 17/5/12 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
It's a little bit more than the tip of what is to come.

Sheffield are going to introduce congestion charging the same as London. Using the outer ring road as the demarcation.

On a similar tack more insurance companies agreed to implement 'safer' driving policies prior to 2015 mooted mandatory gps logging data boxes with two way reporting.

I've seen all this before along with proposed pay by mile. It's all coming.

The last Traffex exhibition i attended had the major manufacturers already demo'ing the systems for two way reporting comms for vehicles.

For instance:-
Pass a flyover or such with a 'box' attached and all current data transferred in a couple of seconds. What speeds used for last defined period plus what road and it's limit. So say A614, 30mph limit section, you done 45mph. Ticket in post within days !
Keep to posted limits but travel on motorway say two juctions 20 miles apart. Bill for £10 either auto deduct from credit card or from pre-pay balance.

It's already implemented but just waiting statute.

Rob

Benzine

posted on 17/5/12 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
Asda score 0/20 on the ethical consumer website. I guess this parking thing will shoot them up to at lease, I dunno...0.1/20?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tasmod

posted on 17/5/12 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
Meadowhell is already in talks regarding the banding parking spaces !!

Trouble is they have enough parking problems with disabled and toddler bays to be able to keep visitors close enough anyway !

I obtained all this info talking to a highways contact who is already doing the marking out of the bays in the centre.

ASDA have already done it.

Rob

blakep82

posted on 17/5/12 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
Asda score 0/20 on the ethical consumer website. I guess this parking thing will shoot them up to at lease, I dunno...0.1/20?

my sister got banned from ALL Asda stores in britain, after walking in with her own lip stick to find one of the same colour, didn't find one, and walked back out, WITH HER OWN LIP STICK, security guard caught her outside and banned her, despite the fact she had a well used lipstick, and no new one in her bag.

Asda can take themselves for a sh**e
i imagine they'll beep their 0, since its supposed to be ethical to ride around on ethnic peace bicycles rather than poisoning everyone with lovely petrol. maybe email them asking why their lorries are allowed so close to the store, and that they don't have to stay at the back of the car park with their 9mpg

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

coozer

posted on 17/5/12 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
Went to the Asda CDC for my driver assesment yesterday, the amount of paperwork and hurdles you have jump through, the spy in the cab and despite me putting down for back shifts only right at the end the blokes goes "3~5am starts chaps"... when I stopped laughing told him I don't have an alarm clock....

On the other hand I go to the tesco depot, they look at my licence to see its still valid and hand the keys over, one piece of paperwork with the trailer number and destination. "See you when you get back"

Asda/Walmart are a joke IMO...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

UncleFista

posted on 17/5/12 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
I don't park in disabled bays, but I have every intention of parking in the Band A spaces.
I don't see why I should be forced into parking further away because I pay more in tax.

In a supermarket car park with a private parking company, it's not criminal law that applies but contract law.
Therefore they can only charge the driver of the car, and there's no legal need for you to name the driver.

Assuming they don't clamp you

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

MikeRJ

posted on 17/5/12 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tasmod

ASDA has decided that the first two rows of parking at it's stores will be for Band A cars (No tax) and the others can just sod off further back. They soon intend to add banding further back.

FFS what makes them believe it's right to decide what car I drive and penalise me

I don't understand, they haven't decided what car you can drive and they haven't penalised you? If you are disabled and unable to walk the two extra rows of cars then surely you should be holding a blue badge which will entitle you to use the disabled bays (assuming some pikey able bodied A-holes haven't taken them all). If you don't have a disability, what exactly is the problem?

Personally I park as far away from the entrance as possible, (slightly) less chance of idiots damaging your car and there are almost always places you can drive into even when it's quite busy.

MikeRJ

posted on 17/5/12 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UncleFista
I don't park in disabled bays, but I have every intention of parking in the Band A spaces.
I don't see why I should be forced into parking further away because I pay more in tax.

Again, what exactly is the problem with parking slightly further from the entrance? I simply don't understand this mentality (unless you are genuinely disabled).

scudderfish

posted on 17/5/12 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Shop somewhere else, and send them a letter explaining why.
JoelP

posted on 17/5/12 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:

Again, what exactly is the problem with parking slightly further from the entrance? I simply don't understand this mentality (unless you are genuinely disabled).

Why would you waste time parking at the back? Less time shopping is more time chilling. I couldnt give a toss if someone bumps my car anyway!

I too would not hesitate to park in the wrong spots. They usually have far to many disabled spaces, but its a bit taboo to park in those. Band A spaces are fair game!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

phelpsa

posted on 17/5/12 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
It's a little bit more than the tip of what is to come.

Sheffield are going to introduce congestion charging the same as London. Using the outer ring road as the demarcation.

On a similar tack more insurance companies agreed to implement 'safer' driving policies prior to 2015 mooted mandatory gps logging data boxes with two way reporting.

I've seen all this before along with proposed pay by mile. It's all coming.

The last Traffex exhibition i attended had the major manufacturers already demo'ing the systems for two way reporting comms for vehicles.

For instance:-
Pass a flyover or such with a 'box' attached and all current data transferred in a couple of seconds. What speeds used for last defined period plus what road and it's limit. So say A614, 30mph limit section, you done 45mph. Ticket in post within days !
Keep to posted limits but travel on motorway say two juctions 20 miles apart. Bill for £10 either auto deduct from credit card or from pre-pay balance.

It's already implemented but just waiting statute.

10 years ago they were saying 'when the infrastructure makes it possible'. Where is the money going to come from for all this infrastructure? Sure as hell not the insurance companies or government. Opt in black boxes for young drivers that pay £xxxx for insurance anyway is one thing, what you're talking about is a long time and a lot of money short of implementation.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theduck

posted on 17/5/12 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
So what about pre-2001 cars that aren't banded? And pre 1973 which are tax exempt?
UncleFista

posted on 17/5/12 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
I don't see why I should be forced into parking further away because I pay more in tax even though I drive one of the least ecologically damaging cars in the car park (12 year old Rover).

Nothing, I usually do park away from the store, when I choose to.
When I have a heavy item to collect I like to park closer.
ASDA are now saying that because I pay more tax I don't have that choice anymore.

What's right with that ?

[Edited on 17/5/12 by UncleFista]

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

blakep82

posted on 17/5/12 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

I don't understand, they haven't decided what car you can drive and they haven't penalised you? If you are disabled and unable to walk the two extra rows of cars then surely you should be holding a blue badge which will entitle you to use the disabled bays (assuming some pikey able bodied A-holes haven't taken them all). If you don't have a disability, what exactly is the problem?

Personally I park as far away from the entrance as possible, (slightly) less chance of idiots damaging your car and there are almost always places you can drive into even when it's quite busy.

don't think its a problem with disabled spaces or parent and baby spaces, thats all fair, they may have trouble with getting to and from the shop, pram and trolley, wheelchair etc, thats all fair enough

i find its more an un-neccesary discrimination, because i can't afford a new £0 band car? because i need a bigger car for family? because i'm single and have my own business and can't afford a car AND a van so i just have the van? (i'm none of these btw, i don't even shop at asda)

its simple discrimination. make black people park at the back of the car park, or all men have to park at the back, and only women can park at the front. is that still fair?

having a low emissions car doens't make anyone less able to walk tot he door, so why do they get the closer spaces?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

theduck

posted on 17/5/12 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
The only logic I can find behind this is that someone at ASDA has decided that people who drive zero tax cars suffer enough by driving such horrible things and so thought they deserves something to chear them up.
ashg

posted on 17/5/12 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
oh well. dont go shopping any way. personally i think they should close all the shops and do internet ordering only. would get a lot of stupid idiots driving to the shops off the road.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Ninehigh

posted on 17/5/12 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
One of the reasons why out of town shopping centres work so well is that they generally come with free parking. Who is going to go to Sheffield centre and pay up to a tenner to park for the day when Meadowhall is ten minutes down the road and free parking?

Increasing parking charges and favouring free tax vehicles will work wonders to make town centres a pollution free place... no b***er will be there!!

Same with Cheshire Oaks round my way. I don't go into town until 3pm when the parking becomes free, end of

BigFaceDave

posted on 17/5/12 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
Get your shopping delivered by asda and then when they turn up tell them that they need to pay to park on your drive! or they car park there commercial vehicle down the road and carry your shopping to your house! see how they like it!

The local council in Stowmarket have also gone mad, now you cant park a van that can carry more than 2500kgs anywhere in town! They suggest you use the lorry park thats 1/2 mile walk from the town centre! My van is only the same size as a MPV or estate car! and even better you need a permit to park in the lorry park and guess what you can only get one if your a lorry!

tasmod

posted on 18/5/12 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
MikeRJ,

You've misread what I posted.

I'm quite happy for disabled and toddler parents to have spaces wider/closer to the entrance. It's not those that are in question. In fact I use the toddler ones when I have my grandchild on board. I just mentioned Meadowhell because they have so may spaces designated as such now you might as well park as far back as possible

At ASDA the bays I'm talking about are further back, shall we say next to the disabled etc. I believe all other bays should be 'open' and not restricted abitrarily.
ASDA intend to clamp and charge if you are not entitled to use them !!

The point made about blacks, gays etc discrimination is very valid. Why should ASDA or any council for that matter discriminate because I can't afford or want a Band A car ? (I can't afford a new car really)

All,
Regarding implementation of road charging. All the infrastructure is now in place, yes it is!
It's only awaiting statute to be put in force.
The Goverment think tanks and the Transport Ministry are in talks right now.

Rob

coyoteboy

posted on 18/5/12 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
Indeed it would be discriminatory to force people to park further away because they can't afford a newer car. This is probably why I doubt it'll be applied to pre-banding cars? I don't see why a supermarket feels it needs to attempt to force it's customers into changing their vehicles in repayment for convenience. I'd simply stop shopping at Asda, there's plenty of choice about. That said, I usually park as far from the door as possible to stop morons dooring my car.

quote:

Regarding implementation of road charging. All the infrastructure is now in place, yes it is! It's only awaiting statute to be put in force. The Goverment think tanks and the Transport Ministry are in talks right now.

They don't have a GPS in my car yet, or ANPR on every road, so they'd struggle just now.

MikeRJ

posted on 18/5/12 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
MikeRJ,

You've misread what I posted.

I'm quite happy for disabled and toddler parents to have spaces wider/closer to the entrance. It's not those that are in question. In fact I use the toddler ones when I have my grandchild on board. I just mentioned Meadowhell because they have so may spaces designated as such now you might as well park as far back as possible

At ASDA the bays I'm talking about are further back, shall we say next to the disabled etc. I believe all other bays should be 'open' and not restricted abitrarily.
ASDA intend to clamp and charge if you are not entitled to use them !!

The point made about blacks, gays etc discrimination is very valid. Why should ASDA or any council for that matter discriminate because I can't afford or want a Band A car ? (I can't afford a new car really)

I understand the point you are making perfectly, but I simply don't understand why people are making such a fuss about having to walk a few extra yards? Now I fully agree that encouraging people to by new low emissions cars is stupid, especially as in real use they are generally nowhere near as good as the marketing suggests. However, Asda have decided that they want to use this dubious method to bolster their 'green' credentials and it's their car park to do with what they want. In practice this won't actually affect anyone with the ability to walk, so what's the problem?

If you have a heavy load to take to the car (e.g. big TV or furniture), then simply move your car to the front of the store whilst you load it. It's not rocket science as they say.

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
Why would you waste time parking at the back? Less time shopping is more time chilling. I couldnt give a toss if someone bumps my car anyway!

I suspect you are in the minority on this forum regarding damage to your car. As for extra time, it takes less than a minute to walk to the other end of a most supermarket car parks - it won't make any difference to your quality of life.

Jasper

posted on 18/5/12 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Sheffield City Council is implementing the same policy on ALL city centre parking spaces. Any car not Band A has to use private parking.
The upshot is that private parking is going to soar in cost shortly.

NCP are going to add a minimum of £1 to the already exorbitant prices.

This despite Sheffield Council declaring that the city centre must regenerate to survive. They are doing their damndest to make it not work though !!

I would really like to see the first brave council take the decision to experiment with no parking charges for a year and increase parking availability.
Let's see what happens to the businesses then, whether they experience an upsurge, as I believe, in business.

Well, I just emailed Sheffield Council as we were planning an antiques buying trip up there in a couple of months time. A very nice lady from the parking department called me back almost immediately to tell me they had absolutely NO plans to charge cars on their tax band or introduce a congestion charge. The only thing they were introducing were extra parking permits for people with low emission vehicles.

Where exactly did you here this from?

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.