Bias for 4wd

On a 4w system what is best?

Equal front/rear drive

More front than rear

More rear than front

Just pening ideas for twin engine 4wd design

froggy

posted on 5/12/05 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
thought about this myself the stumbling block is getting both motors to drive one transmission before drive is split front to rear otherwise mechanically front and rear drive have no link and would swap ends without warning
NS Dev

posted on 5/12/05 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
I think (personally) that the ford/ff developments system, with 66/33 torque split (66% rear) is about spot on. Any more to the front and understeer starts to set in with a vengeance.

Any track dayers on here will confirm that as they merrily drive round the outside of terminally understeering tyre slaughtering subaru imprezas!!

MikeR

posted on 5/12/05 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
of course - if you're not used to rear wheel drive, want to pootle aroudn the roads ..... more front wheel drive is what you're used to and has less chance of swapping the ends on a wet roundabout.

(sorry, NS Dev just wanted to put the other side forward from someone who drives a fwd car )

Depends what you want the car to do, what youre used to and where you'll be using it.

Howlor

posted on 5/12/05 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
Why not go for full 'bling' and have an active centre diff so you can control the split?!
froggy

posted on 5/12/05 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
yep im with nsdev on this one ,im hoping that the 60/30 split still let my car behave pretty much as a two wheel drive but give me more control in the wet. after driving a customers westie in the rain which is an experience i dont want to repeat! im still not sure if by leaving the lsd in the front diff on mine will cause it to understeer, no-one has offered an opinion yet
Howlor

posted on 5/12/05 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
Froggy, what type of LSD do you have in the front diff?
froggy

posted on 5/12/05 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
viscous its a 7" sierra same as my rear diff but with 3.15 gearsets, i think that il have to try it and see, its been done before but dax used a 6.5 open front diff on their quadra but my engine is a loooong way back ,my rear prop is 11" long and the gearstick is where the box meets the bellhousing
Howlor

posted on 5/12/05 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
If you end up with too much under steer is it possible with a viscous unit just to use a different lube grade to give less/no LSD function?
froggy

posted on 5/12/05 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
cheers for that ,all a bit academic really as like a true petrolhaed ive started another project before finishing the last one
NS Dev

posted on 5/12/05 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Howlor
If you end up with too much under steer is it possible with a viscous unit just to use a different lube grade to give less/no LSD function?

No, because the lube that you can get at is not the lsd fluid, that is contained within the lsd itself, not the outer casing.

The "fluid" is pretty trick stuff, totally unlike any oil you have come across! It is a fluid which solidifies under compression but liquifies in tension. Make up a paste mix of cornflour and water and you'll get something similar, though I wouldn't try and use it in a diff!!

You won't want an LSD on the front in any car used on tarmac. Useful on loose going but on tarmac you'll never need it.

Howlor

posted on 5/12/05 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
I'll try the cornflour and water later and report my findings. Very interesting you learn something new everyday especially on here!
andyd

posted on 5/12/05 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
Any track dayers on here will confirm that as they merrily drive round the outside of terminally understeering tyre slaughtering subaru imprezas!!

Surely that's the last place you'd want to be... around the outside! They'll run into you!

Andy

JAG

posted on 5/12/05 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I'll try the cornflour and water later and report my findings

Proper Custard contains cornflour and behaves exactly the same.

I was watching a TV program called "Brainiacs" (one of the digital channels on freeview - can't remember which) were they do lots of silly experiments.

They filled an outdoor swimming pool with custard and then the presenter walked across it and didn't sink

As soon as he stood still for a couple of seconds he began to sink. It took three people to pull him out because of the way the fluid behaves - a bit like sinking sand. If you stay still you sink - if you struggle it holds and won't let go

These fluids are called non-Newtonian i.e they don't behave in the manner described by Newton.

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

andkilde

posted on 5/12/05 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Howlor

No, because the lube that you can get at is not the lsd fluid, that is contained within the lsd itself, not the outer casing.

The "fluid" is pretty trick stuff...

The fluid inside the LSD units is available -- industrially it is used in hydrostatic drives and Caterpillar sell a number of different grades. The rally boys over here install fill plugs in the diffs and play with the different rheopectic oils.

Cheers, Ted

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andrew morrall

posted on 6/12/05 at 04:32 AM Reply With Quote
CCC Twin BEC

CCC had an article on a twin engine BEC a couple of years ago. Can't remember the details of the setup.
froggy

posted on 6/12/05 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
i think they are a brilliant marketing exercise but they are all about straight line speed i followed a twin engined golf on a track day and it looked about as stable as my reliant van on thity year old cross ply,s
zzrpowerd-locost

posted on 6/12/05 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by froggy
i think they are a brilliant marketing exercise but they are all about straight line speed i followed a twin engined golf on a track day and it looked about as stable as my reliant van on thity year old cross ply,s

Thats cos they are 50/50 splipt on power!

BTW if anyone has seen a burgandy mk2 golf with 20v with turbo AND superchanger, spaceframed front end or a Black mk2 golf with rear mounted supercharged VR6 on the show scene, I did and the Oil cooler and brake circuits on them Oh and supplied the silicon hose

Used to work for a hydraulic company, got all the motorsport jobs

[Edited on 6-12-05 by zzrpowerd-locost]

zzrpowerd-locost

posted on 6/12/05 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
20v super turbo Rescued attachment swaprk1.jpg
Rescued attachment swaprk1.jpg

zzrpowerd-locost

posted on 6/12/05 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
Supercharged VR6 mid mount Rescued attachment swapvr1.jpg
Rescued attachment swapvr1.jpg

MikeRJ

posted on 6/12/05 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
Surely the ideal split will depend a great deal on weight distribution and the kind of surface you are driving on?
NS Dev

posted on 6/12/05 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
exactly, which is why in the "ideal" world you want an adjustable torque split.

I know I can't afford that though, well, not in a package that will work in a locost anyway. The nearest compromise is the one that Harry Ferguson/FFD came up with years ago and Ford have used since, the 70/30 or thereabouts split.

It's a compromise that works in most conditions. A touch understeery in really dry grippy conditions and a tad oversteery in really slippy going but basically sound.........i.e. it works!

NS Dev

posted on 6/12/05 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andyd
quote:

Surely that's the last place you'd want to be... around the outside! They'll run into you!

Heh Heh!!! True, True, ok nip round the inside then, shouldn't be too tricky, you'd have plenty of time to make your mind up with most of em!

froggy

posted on 6/12/05 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
there is an article in next months ppc about twin engined kits .to get back to original thread i thought that the idea was to use two bike engines one driving the front one driving the rear, iirc volkswagen did something with a sirroco very early eighties. dont think it was a success though. twin engined 4wd with torque split front to rear (deep pockets reqiured)
NS Dev

posted on 6/12/05 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
2 seperate engines driving opposing ends of a car is a nightmare. I would NEVER consider it.

It is an engineering BODGE of the very highest order. Great at the pub, and in a straight line, totally and utterly useless for anything else.

What I think would be interesting is a mid engined car with 2 bike engines either "piggyback" or side by side driving the rear wheels, just as they use in class 10 autograss cars.

There are a lot of twin engined minis/mini pickups around in autograss and on the road. This setup but with some nice bodywork and 2 seats would be good fun, and with weight over the driving wheels would actually grip and go quite nicely.

The transverse rear-mid engine setup is very quick in a straight line, but can be made to turn in nicely too. If you look at a lot of grasstrack cars now (I know the setups are VERY different to tarmac but the principle of maintaining good wheel to "road" contact all the time is exactly the same) they have the transverse engines mounted BEHIND the rear axle line!!

That is NOT the setup for tarmac....or driving with the steering wheels pointing the "right" way for that matter, but 50-50 ish weight distribution is not tricky with the rear-mid engined setup.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.