<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: bec vs cec
dilley

posted on 2/6/07 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
bec vs cec

Before you say.............

right then......

if you had an indy running a blackbird turbo engine producing 240bhp at the wheels and weighing 720 kg's with driver plus a passenger, against a westfield 4ltr v8 (tvr)running 225bhp at the wheels and weighing 725kgs with just a driver,

both cars would weigh roughly the same and have a 15 bhp difference,

would there be alot in it??????

handling wise I would imagine would be close as the westfield would have a slightly better chassis and both cars would weigh the same.

opinions...............................

[Edited on 2/6/07 by dilley]

StevieB

posted on 2/6/07 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
This'll be a long thread...
dilley

posted on 2/6/07 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
I have never been ina v8 westfield, just wondering what they are like.

perhaps rusty nuts could take me for a spin in his luego so I can see the difference between bec and cec.

zxrlocost

posted on 2/6/07 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
Bouldy has a v8 indy and it is very powerful however once youve had a turbo bird I dont think a v8 feels as good

its not just to do with that its to do with gearing aswell etc etc unsprung weight etc

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

oliwb

posted on 2/6/07 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
Car engine, unless someone has spent serious money on the turbo bike engine??? Got to remember about turbo lag etc. Not sure there'd be a lot in the handling department......Oli.

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
higgsti

posted on 2/6/07 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
cant see a turbo indy weighing that much ,v8s are front heavy so handling would be better on bec
dilley

posted on 2/6/07 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
turbo bec deffo weighs that as I built it!!

those weights are with boddies in the cxar around 100kgs each.

DIY Si

posted on 2/6/07 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
If you were to make it a bit fairer and put a passenger in the V8, IMHO the turbo indy would probably have it. Handling wise again, the lighter weight of the turbo indy would have to give it an edge, also it'd probably be better balanced.
And don't forget, you have more power to use if things get tight!
There is also the sound track to consider, but that's personal preference. I like lots of revs, some like a nice V8 burble .

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

Ivan

posted on 2/6/07 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Now I'm going to put my foot right in it.

Basically it's all about work - i.e horsepower which is a reflection of torque against revs.

i.e. For the same bhp the higher reving engine with lower torque will win every time.

There's very good science to this statement and it explains why the relatively puny (torque wise and capacity wise) bec's accelerate so fast.

Of course weight counts as well.

cossiebri

posted on 2/6/07 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
The actual gearchange will be faster in the bec too

If it doesn't fit MODIFY it!!
Cheers BriF

StevieB

posted on 2/6/07 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
Plus the BEC will be a lot cheaper too!

I like a good car engine - one day I'd like a se7en with a well tuned cross flow with twin webers etc (there's just something right about the whole idea). But to get the bbest from the engine, you need to spend a lot more getting it (of course, a blown bird will probably have the same lifespan as the oil in the V8!)

DIY Si

posted on 2/6/07 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
Just a quick word about bec torque. BECs have a primary ratio that car engines are missing, so the torque goes through a 30-50% increase before it hits the main gearbox. Wheel torque is probably not much different.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Simon

posted on 2/6/07 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cossiebri
The actual gearchange will be faster in the bec too

Stock T56 in this, so I doubt bike will be much quicker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IOpuGVoyCk

ATB

Simon

DIY Si

posted on 2/6/07 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
And his engine will last a relatively long time, as it's built to withstand 26 psi, yet only runs at 12 (IIRC) to give it a nice long life.

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

rusty nuts

posted on 2/6/07 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dilley
I have never been ina v8 westfield, just wondering what they are like.

perhaps rusty nuts could take me for a spin in his luego so I can see the difference between bec and cec.

Mines only a mildly tuned crossflowbut your welcome as regards a spin in it but wait until after July 12th when its due to be set up properly.

OX

posted on 2/6/07 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
i think the turbo bird would be harder to drive as quick as the westy but i would of said the t bird would stay ahead.

mark chandler

posted on 2/6/07 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
Well for my thee pennies worth BEC on a short circuit, maybe CEC on one with long long straights.

If you look at old results on various race series a 4ltr westfield is not any faster than an 893 blade powered car although its giving away twice the power.

Okay so you are adding weight to the bec but its going to pull away on most corners with that long flat torque spread.

froggy

posted on 2/6/07 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
book yourself a demo at westfield and they will take you out in their 330 weber fed seight .ive got no track experience but the v8 would be a much nicer car for road use.
dilley

posted on 2/6/07 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
I know the becturbo is quick, really quick, it makes the ultima look silly to 100mph, I need a ride in a v8 westy.
chockymonster

posted on 2/6/07 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
If the westie is TVR powered will it make it to the first corner without breaking down?

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
russbost

posted on 3/6/07 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
Why on earth would they weigh the same? How can the bird engined car be so heavy - I'm carrying 2 engines & still come out around 120kg lighter????

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Hellfire

posted on 3/6/07 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
Why on earth would they weigh the same? How can the bird engined car be so heavy - I'm carrying 2 engines & still come out around 120kg lighter????

If you read the first post, the Blackbird Turbo is carrying a passenger (approx 100kg) whereas the V8 Westy has no passenger.

Phil

procomp

posted on 4/6/07 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
Hi why compare the bird to a V8. Look at the 750mc results for acctual lap times to get a clearer picture.

Locost 1300 x/flow with 90 hp. Will be about 5-6 sec a lap slower than the kitcars below.

Kitcars 155hp 1800 zetec is on a par with a 260 hp V8 and a 175 hp 1600 zetec se. Give or take various circuit configurations.

RGB a blade engine will be about 1-2sec's a lap quicker than the above kitcars. A busa ect will be another 2-3 sec a lap quicker than the blade.

Now i dont have acctual varified records of it but a kitcar with a 210 hp 2.0 zetec is on a par with the busa on lap times .

All the above time will have been set by compatent drivers who are at the front of thier various championships so a fair comparison on driver abilities. Although the engines are all in different cars from various manufacturers given that again these are front running cars in championships it will again be fair to say that they are all in a fine state of handelling.

Now all you have to do is go and work out how much it really costs to achive the state of tune for each engine. ( which will start an other debate all together)

cheers matt

iank

posted on 4/6/07 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by procomp
Kitcars 155hp 1800 zetec is on a par with a 260 hp V8 and a 175 hp 1600 zetec se. Give or take various circuit configurations.
cheers matt

Well to the overall question, why would you care? On the road they will both be a lot of fun (if in different ways) and it's a matter of taste which you'd pick. On the racetrack pick a series and choose the best engine based on the regulations.

On procomp's post I've have got a question...
155bhp 1800 Zetec is on a par with 175bhp 1600 ZetecSE.

As the ZetecSE is much lighter and 20bhp up is it purely a (small?) additional amount of torque making up the difference by stretching the gear ratio's. If so that makes the Zetec a better choice for the road as well as it's easier to drive?

Also given that it's a rover v8 and therefore (wild guess) 50% heavier than the Zetec it seems to need a mountain of power to keep up. Is this the 'too much torque' argument?

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

dilley

posted on 4/6/07 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
Im just comparing really, remember both cars weigh the same!!!!!
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.