quote:
Originally posted by MK9R
quote:
Originally posted by carpmart
quote:
Originally posted by MK9R
quote:
Originally posted by carpmart
What about an Impreza? You can pick up an imported STi V1 or V2 for £3k which will have a red top engine so 280 bhp. They have water injection as standard, close ratio box, larger intercooler etc etc

Put it on a bit of a diet and maybe up the boost a little and you have 300bhp+ per ton.

Actually, I think I might go down this route myself!

running cost on track for an impreza are horrific, 25 laps of the nurburg ring cost me over £1k in consumables!!! 2.5 sets of pads, 1 x warped disks and 4 tyres!! And thats on a circuit fast and not hard on brakes!! Take it somewhere tight and twisty and it will kill a set of tires and disks in less than a day!!

What makes it so hard on the brakes? Have you upgraded them? Also, why would this be so much different to run from a brake perspective than a 205, clio etc? Is it just that these components cost that bit more as they are for an Impreza?

Tyres would be a consumable on any track day and there are hard and soft ways to use tyres. It seems logical to me that four tyres delivering traction should lead to more balanced wear across the set as opposed to a two wheel drive car, do you agree?

One major thing - Weight! 205's are about 800kg, imprezas are about 1300kg (IIRC), the heavier the car the quicker everything wears out. Then the cost of everything is so much higher, standard discs are about £140 each, reasonble pads are £100 a set (but can pay double) , tyres are £100 a corner. The impreza is very hard on tires if driven "intrestingly"

Oh, and my impreza was doing 80miles on a full tank at the ring!!!!

They are great cars on the road, but on track they are just too heavy in standard form.

To put this all in perspective, my ST is still on the same set of halfords brake pads after 9 track days (and they weren't new when i started), and i've only bought 6 tyres (and the 4 i started with were shagged)

[Edited on 10/12/08 by MK9R]

[Edited on 10/12/08 by MK9R]

OK I see why you had a bad experience with 'consumables' on your impreza! A standard car will never make a good track car. The original poster asked for ideas for a track car. I refer you to my original post where I suggested stripping the car so I never saw the 'track car' the OP wants as being standard. I therefore respectfully suggest that your experience is not 100% relevant.

I understand 'stuff' wears out quicker with more mass to stop, accelerate etc. I am pretty sure I could strip an early STi down to a ton in weight without going too mad. The OP wanted a track car not a road car so I think it could still be a possibility.

Why are you using tyres at 100 quid a corner on a track car? I would get some old shitters on there if I was going aggressive driving style or some 888's if I was going for some more 'finessfull' track fun. Either option is no where near 100 each corner. My fury is harder on tyres than a track day E30 325i I had but then my E39 5 series can scrub out some rear Potenza's or Verdestad (can't spell) in a few thousand miles on the road. My fireblade powered Drakart gets through part worn 7 inch slicks in two or three 10 min sessions. It all depends on the tyre and how you use them.

H

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

nick205

posted on 16/12/08 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Quinn
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
The 205's will always be a bit of a benchmark (and a particular favourite of mine, hence my username)
and I always thought it was because the later Pinto block was a particular favourite of yours

Don't get me wrong I'm partial to a nice Pinto too, but not enough to build a username around it

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.