Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: bad news
MikeR

posted on 31/12/08 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
there are some bad roundabouts out there.

Notorious one by where i work. We see a car wrecked once a month - usually cause they are going to fast but not always as a lot of diesel / oil gets dropped on it. Had lorries falling over on it as well. Once when i had new tyres i went round it really slowly, didn't accelerate and found the back end swapping places with the front (at about 15 mph).

(its got a duel carriageway either side and the middle bit is probably 25 to 30m wide in case you're thinking 15mph is actually quite fast for a roundabout.)

MikeR

posted on 31/12/08 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
Just looked at the pictures. I'm no expert, i've got no qualifications in anything automotive / steel related but from the blurry pictures posted so far, something looks a little strange to me. I'm surprised at the bits that have failed and the bits that haven't.

I thought that in theory in a front end / side crash the wishbones should fail before anything else. They absorb the impact and help slow everything down. Yours appear to be fine and still attached to chassis members. The chassis appears to be what has ripped apart.

ReMan

posted on 31/12/08 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
A byproduct of the inboard front suspension perhaps, with the pushrod transpitting the impact further into the chassis?
A1

posted on 31/12/08 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
it hit the corner wall of a driveway on the drivers side of the nosecone...i think thats why the w/bs are okay...im going to go to the garage and have a look/get more pics, so ill update later on...
dave1888

posted on 31/12/08 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
Nasty, but your all right thats the main thing. what roundabout on queensferry road where you at.
A1

posted on 31/12/08 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
as youre heading out of town and go past the school on your left, the wee one there, i was coming down the hill from belford road (i think thats it) and heading out to the sainsburys just down the road...
02GF74

posted on 31/12/08 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
never mind. worst things can, have and will happen.

look at it this way. Mikey Schumacher is reckonned to be one of the best drivers ever and he has crashed more cars than probably anyone on here!

clairetoo

posted on 31/12/08 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
I dont drive a BEC , so havnt experienced any quirkiness peculiar ti the breed but.........why first gear ? I generally go through roundabouts in third , unless I'm hooning in which case second will allways have the back end hanging out
Mine will go down to walking pace in third.......and go up to nearly a ton before fourth is needed .
Unexpected wheel spin in too low a gear is gonna be pretty lively - I cant help thinking that was the main cause .

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

JoelP

posted on 31/12/08 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
you'd struggle to make a bec set off in second, im assuming it must've been a standing start. Do-able, but asking for a stall. If he went through the roundabout without stopping and still picked first he was definately pushing too hard lol!

I once approached a roundabout in the snow, knew it would be bad and tiptoed in at about 10mph. Still went totally sideways, probably because it was a diesel fiesta and nose heavy. Managed to drive off the exit i wanted, still sideways, but it just shows that even if you anticipate a problem you might not appreciate just how careful you need to be!

Good luck with the insurance though

A1

posted on 31/12/08 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
just cause every time i go through there i go in 1st...i had slowed down to basically a stop cause theres a blind entrance onto it...you can drive slowly in first...
scotlad
Contributor

Posts 781
Registered 30/9/03
Location Edinburgh

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built MK Indy Blade, RH 2b Zetec, rebuilding locos

posted on 31/12/08 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
Bad luck mate. Drove round there yesterday I've crashed through a fence before so can sympathise

Wonderous is our great blue ship that sails around the mighty sun, and joy to everyone that rides along!

RK

posted on 1/1/09 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
That's hearbreaking. Herr S. has probably crashed more motorcycles than the whole lot on here has crashed cars.

Here's to a New Year's rebuild!! It's going to be better than ever I'm sure.

idl1975

posted on 2/1/09 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
There aren't any quirks! My '893 blade engined MK is about as weedy as it gets on the power and torque fronts, and uses a 3.62. Pulls away in second fine and lugs down to walking pace in third. That's more flexible than my wife's 2.0l 182...

He was using first because he was going slowly, and it's a BEC, so he has a very wide rev range to work with.

quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo
I dont drive a BEC , so havnt experienced any quirkiness peculiar ti the breed but.........why first gear ? I generally go through roundabouts in third , unless I'm hooning in which case second will allways have the back end hanging out
Mine will go down to walking pace in third.......and go up to nearly a ton before fourth is needed .
Unexpected wheel spin in too low a gear is gonna be pretty lively - I cant help thinking that was the main cause .

[Edited on 2/1/09 by idl1975]

Hellfire

posted on 3/1/09 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
If you negotiate with the insurance company to take the vehicle as part of the settlement, you should be able to get it back on the road with very little hassle.

Phil

A1

posted on 3/1/09 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
after a small delay... new pics are up...checked out the chassis and it seems to have twisted a bit. the engines moved slightly too and needs a new sump. (phew!)

hellfire, do you mean if i tell them im going to do the rebuild?
the inspectors coming out on tuesday to have a look...

Hellfire

posted on 3/1/09 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Provided the chassis is an identical replacement, then you can rebuild without needing an SVA. It may possibly need a VIC (Vehicle Identity Check) before it goes back on the road. Whether it does or not, depends if the insurance company notify DVLA. Usually, when a vehicle is written off, the V5C is returned to the DVLA, however, if the owner of the vehicle negotiates with the insurance company to take the damaged vehicle as part of the payout, then there is a very good chance that the damage will not be recorded on the DVLA's database and it may not even be marked for a VIC.

Phil

jabbahutt

posted on 5/1/09 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
just seen the pics, totally gutted for you. Main thing is that you weren't hurt.
Hope it's sorted out with the insurance quickly.

Nigel

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.