Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Robin hood chassis...
dozracing

posted on 27/3/04 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
With such a bad reputation how do they manage to top the list of number of kits sold per year?

I have a couple of customers who bought shocks from me for their Tigar Avon build who had a RH kit before the Avon. Basically they started working on it and got to a certain stage and realised it wasn't going to give them what they wanted and they skipped the chassis and used the donor parts on the Tiger. No experience of them myself but these guys were adamant that even the local scrap metal dealer didn't want the chassis. Even all the stainless parts rusted!!

Darren

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
guff

posted on 27/3/04 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
.....and i was thinking about a 2b at one point.... not no more. I'm glad I started the thread "gts or mk?" and not "gts or rh?"! I think i may have been shot
britishtrident

posted on 28/3/04 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
Link a lot of thing RH do the chassis is interesting but -----

The thing that amazes me is that completed Robin Hoods have a resale value, they actualy fetch silly money, Its the stainless steel that does it. Frrom the very first Triumph 1500 based car it was obvious that RH have no idea about suspension engineering, since then they have adopted several different suspension designs all radically different each one seemingly worse than the last.
They have however driven prices down --- and quality down even further. They also aren't scared of trying something different it is just what ever they do it seems only a quarter way thought through.

DaveFJ

posted on 29/3/04 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
The IDEA of the chassis, I find very interesting. With my aircraft engineering background, there is something very appealing about a really lightweight aluminium alloy monocoque - maybe coupled with a a decent bike engine... could be fantastic!

However - I have to agree that the chassis would have to be well made and designed - and no I don't trust RHE either!

On the other hand - to be fair! the chassis presented at the Exeter show was only a prototype and they still haven't gone into production so it would have probably been hand made - not machine folded etc........and a prototype is always just that....

Or maybe they are just crap - alegedly ?

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

theconrodkid

posted on 29/3/04 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
if you talk to any car owner at a show they all get excited and say how wonderfull they are,try asking a throbin hood owner the same question and they string themselvs up

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Markp

posted on 29/3/04 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Ok,

It's not very often I come on here and give my personal opinion,

I know various people with robin hoods and fair enough some of the build quality isn't the best, But the robin hood is the kit they choose, for what ever reason. They might have bitched during the build but when it's complete they (like everyone on here will) stand back and say I built that, and going with the problems mentioned I will be the first to say welldone.

The new chassis could do with a few improvements and time will tell if they make them. There are alot of good things about Robin Hood (if it's the kit you want).
I.ve never had a problem with the bits and I won't be in the line to slag them off.

As I said at the begining, just my opinion.

Mark

[Edited on 29/3/04 by Markp]

britishtrident

posted on 29/3/04 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
The real problem for me is the lack of understanding of engineering -- less said about some of the suspension designs they have used the better..
mlgates

posted on 29/3/04 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dblissett
it looks like some thing wallace and gromit might of made
i for one will stick to rons chassis
cheers dave

Hey now!

stephen_gusterson

posted on 29/3/04 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Im not a fan either way of RHE but...

seems to me that as Cateringvan owners think locosters are a lesser life form, to us, its RH owners.

atb

steve

Markp

posted on 29/3/04 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
Should it really matter what car you are building????
At the end of the day everyone has there own taste and the more kits that are being sold then the stonger the kit car industry will become. It doesn't pay for everyone to be the same.

Mark

NS Dev

posted on 29/3/04 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
A fair point, some of the RHE engineering is extremely poor but having said that it is pretty cheap and if you want a single donor you have to put up with compromise! (just look at all the cars with Sierra front uprights, hmmmm)
britishtrident

posted on 30/3/04 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
A fair point, some of the RHE engineering is extremely poor but having said that it is pretty cheap and if you want a single donor you have to put up with compromise! (just look at all the cars with Sierra front uprights, hmmmm)

I reckon the Sierra upright has advantages over the Cortina one. Everytime I look at the Cortina upright it annoys me even more so when it has the muckle great no good M16 caliper on it. If it wasn't for the simplicity of keeping reasonably close to the book I would use MG or Triumph front end parts.

DaveFJ

posted on 30/3/04 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Everytime I look at the Cortina upright it annoys me even more so when it has the muckle great no good M16 caliper on it.

Once more in English ??

[Edited on 30/3/04 by protofj]

Dave

200mph

posted on 30/3/04 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
what? I understood him... your not scottish are you britishtrident?

muckle meaning big,

Anyone seen the big piece on RH in this months Kitcar? Wonder how much they paid the magazine for that feature..

Mark

NS Dev

posted on 30/3/04 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
fair point but it's dead easy to fit other calipers!! (and vented discs) These uprights have been the basis of some of the best handling kits around. (my mate runs Ultima and their early cars used Cortina uprights, including the MK2 racers, before they got the ally ones sorted)

Brakes etc are dead easy to sort, the fundamental geometry is pretty much fixed, and the sierra is designed for a mcpherson strut with the top pivot well inboard of the pivot point used when "top hat" adaptor inserts are used! I did alter the cortina uprights on my 'grasser by shortening the steering arms to get better ackerman angle for the very short wheelbase (I redrilled the arms 20mm up the arm from the original tapered hole, then welded a spacer boss on top and a threaded boss underneath, a caphead bolt then pulls a spherical rodend (used as the trackrod end) onto the stepped spacer on top and the height of this spacer reduces the bump steer. This setup together with a 1-turn lock to lock rack gives me about 140 deg lock to lock, accessed by 1 a turn of the wheel, powerslides are not difficult to control now!! (not good for the road though and anyway I have gone off on a complete tangent as usual!!)

Ian Pearson

posted on 1/4/04 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

seems to me that as Cateringvan owners think locosters are a lesser life form, to us, its RH owners.

Speak for yourself.

britishtrident

posted on 1/4/04 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Pearson
quote:

Speak for yourself.

Lots of others we can look down on --- right at the very bottom Dutton and Locust, even RH is above them

Funny things is Catervan owners don't realise they should look up to Birkin.

Phil Allonby

posted on 22/4/04 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
it just saddens me that we get into this type of stuff in the first place. i know its only personal opinion, to which we're all entitled and i know that some of the messages may be tongue in cheek, but theres a very real chance that people may be offended and upset, and that cant be the reason for us all being here. to be honest i cant see why anyone should look down on anyone else. i agree that the catering (etc) and westy boys probably do look down on others because their cars probably cost more than my house, but this stupid, spitefull attitiude shouldnt be shared by others in the kit car world. if you really want to look down on anyone, how about the guys who think that all cars should have a roof, should be economical and sensible. thats the real enemy!

phil

DaveFJ

posted on 22/4/04 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Allonby
. if you really want to look down on anyone, how about the guys who think that all cars should have a roof, should be economical and sensible. thats the real enemy!

phil

How about the Chav's with there spoiler laden neon lit Massive alloyed Nova's ? Surely they are the enemy too ?

Dave

theconrodkid

posted on 22/4/04 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
i agree with last bit there phill,the rest is that we have to convince ourselvs we made the right choice,not only in spending a sack full of cash on a car we only use a few weeks of the year but that we built the right car,i did a lot of research before i built mine and i think i made the right decission,its a tribal thing as well,my tribe/football club is better than yours.
i have found all the locost/mk/luego builders i have met very friendly and some things they have done for fellow builders really have been beyond the call of duty,read elsewhere as to how others have treated their own

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

JoelP

posted on 22/4/04 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
those miserable bar stewards...

Mark Allanson

posted on 22/4/04 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
To quote from this months Practical Classics

Robin Hood

"One rung above a Locost, the Robin Hoood is another budget seven that can be built from a dead Sierra on a shoestring.
While the engineering is sound enough, it is nothing to get excited about - but if you keep the build costs down you should be able to get your money back at resale time"

Poor sad, ill informed, cheeky bastards

I think we should all email the dull buggers and set them right

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

stephen_gusterson

posted on 22/4/04 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
whats their addy then?

atb

steve

JoelP

posted on 22/4/04 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
second that, gimme an address and i'll give them an earfull. fools...

Mark Allanson

posted on 22/4/04 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
found it

practical.classics@emap.com

let the onslaught commence

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.