Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Energy Saving bulbs (household)
smart51

posted on 13/1/09 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
swapping a 100W bulb for a 20W energy saver in every house in the country would save the UK 1 power station (with 4x 660 MW generating sets). This assumes that every house in the country has an average of 1 light on during winter evenings.

The UK is going to decommission about 15 power stations in the comming few years and now can't build replacements fast enough because locals block planning wherever one is planned to be sited. Reducing consumption will reduce future power cuts. Perhaps what we need are fewer NIMBYs.

David Jenkins

posted on 13/1/09 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
I have changed all the bulbs in our house that get left on for significant times (i.e. more than a couple of minutes). Where I just going, do what needs doing, and come out again (e.g. the toilet) then I haven't bothered - by the time the light's warmed up properly I've turned it off.

The only place where I haven't yet made the change is in the kitchen - I have six 50W downlighters that provide the main lighting (a few fluo strips under the cabinets provide the rest). I really want to change these as they use a lot of power, aren't very reliable, and a PITA to change. The trouble is that the only GU10 low-power replacements that are worth having are 20mm or so too long for the fittings (see link below). They're also very expensive. There are some LED ones but they're only recommended for highlighting, rather than main lighting.

This place is a good on-line supplier, and gives a lot of plain-speaking advice about what works and what doesn't.

EnergyBulbs

Simon

posted on 13/1/09 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
The bulb that lasted three weeks was made by Philips and was in the loo, so it's not exactly had a hard life.

Philips have yet to reply to email.

Can't take bulb back cos I think it was "freeby" from the council or other bunch of do gooders.

ATB

Simon

JonBowden

posted on 13/1/09 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

it was "freeby" from the council or other bunch of do gooders

So what you grumbling about then?

These are cheap disposable items. Most last for ages but occasionally, like any piece of electronics, one fails early.

I buy only cheap ones (often Phillips). The whole house runs with them. If I remember right, I only had to change ONE last year.
They are just plain good.

But if you really want to use old filament bulbs . . .

[Edited on 13/1/09 by JonBowden]

Jon

02GF74

posted on 13/1/09 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kipper
Just a thought .....can you use them with dimmer switches.??????

locost way would be to narrow your eyes a bit.

[Edited on 13/1/09 by 02GF74]

Mix

posted on 14/1/09 at 04:01 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

Is it an 'urban myth' that low energy bulbs need to be on for about twenty minutes for the start up energy requirement to equal that of a standard bulb over the same period?

Regards Mick

jabs

posted on 14/1/09 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
Just been to Tesco and the low energy bulbs are £1 each or 5 for 40p

any mix of 9w and 11w

does that pricing make any sence ??

But thats cheap

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.