Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What happens if you just walk out of a job?
stevebubs

posted on 16/2/09 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.i-resign.com/uk/letters/
zzr1100rick2

posted on 16/2/09 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
Iv been in my job just over two years and still havent had a contract the up side is i just take holidays when i want cant think of a down side at the moment
tomblyth

posted on 16/2/09 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
whatever way you leave he is not allowed to give you a bad referance! our emploment law only allow good referances on none at all! I your position I'd find a new position before leaving , then hand in request for leave of absense for personal reaons (prod with your lass / family etc . once on this leave send your notice bye post! I've done this before !
MikeR

posted on 17/2/09 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah but business is wise to the "no bad reference" hence you either write glowing references, a standard reference with "would re-employ" or a standard (aka factual) reference with "wouldn't re-employ".

Everything above board, next employer knows all they need to with the "would / wouldn't re-employ"

Peteff

posted on 17/2/09 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
One word of warning though... future employers can be put off when they see 'points of principal' resignations on a CV.

Are you a man of principals or are you a man of principles ? They might be wary of that even more so

Try this quiz.

[Edited on 17/2/09 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

David Jenkins

posted on 17/2/09 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
One word of warning though... future employers can be put off when they see 'points of principal' resignations on a CV.

Are you a man of principals or are you a man of principles ? They might be wary of that even more so

Try this quiz.

[Edited on 17/2/09 by Peteff]

Yippee! 100%

iank

posted on 17/2/09 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
Yeah but business is wise to the "no bad reference" hence you either write glowing references, a standard reference with "would re-employ" or a standard (aka factual) reference with "wouldn't re-employ".

Everything above board, next employer knows all they need to with the "would / wouldn't re-employ"

Most companies, certainly ones with legal departments won't allow glowing references anymore either - which is why so many just give employed between date and date, salary at end £xxxx.

Reasons as I understand it being:
If you write one guy a glowing reference and another the minimum facts the 2nd guy can sue for the same reasons as giving a bad reference as it's been implied, it's a libel/defamation issue.
Secondly, and possibly worse, if you write a glowing ref for someone who turns out to be incapable of the new job the other company can sue you.

The whole thing's a bit sad as so long as you are completely factual you have a defense good or bad, but going through the court system means £10,000+ in legal costs even if you win so it's not worth the hassle, aggravation and possible bad press.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.