Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: CHEAP LEGAL FILM DOWNLOADS
greggors84

posted on 4/3/09 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
There was a case recently reported on the radio of a Russian site selling music for about £1 an album. They were closed down because they didnt have any permission to sell the music on.

Im guessing they were flaunting the same laws as this movie site.

Im sure its fine selling them in Russia, but when they make them available to the world where copyright laws exist its no longer acceptable.

As for who is doing the stealing, im not sure where anyone stands on this as you have paid for it but the copyright holder hasnt agreed to it.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

Paul TigerB6

posted on 4/3/09 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by greggors84
There was a case recently reported on the radio of a Russian site selling music for about £1 an album.

This one??

I'm convinced enough that the film site is illegal now anyway. Of course its up to the individual if they keep using it (until its shut down of course)

iank

posted on 5/3/09 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
Just because they tell you it's legal doesn't mean it is, it just hasn't been shutdown yet.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11/16/ituneski4films/

Though AFAIK no one who downloaded mp3's from AllofMP3.com has been prosecuted (yet).

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

MakeEverything

posted on 5/3/09 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
Interesting read......

Ok, so the information in its terms of service are now out of date!!? lol

ooks like o need to find another film supplier after all!!

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

wilkingj

posted on 5/3/09 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
Like most things on the Internet....

If it seems too good to be true.... It usually isnt.

There are NO free meal tickets in the world, and scammers are counted in their millions.

Why oh WHY do people fall / believe this stuff

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Project7

posted on 5/3/09 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
Hang on - the point i would be thinking about is:

That is definitely not a legit site, so they are selling someting that does not belong to them, so they are con artists and would not get my money, regardless of how i manage to convince myself that by paying something its ok.

MakeEverything

posted on 5/3/09 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
Like most things on the Internet....

If it seems too good to be true.... It usually isnt.

There are NO free meal tickets in the world, and scammers are counted in their millions.

Why oh WHY do people fall / believe this stuff

Thanks grandpa.

Its beleived for the simple fact that it wasnt "Too good to be true", but a reasonable price for decent film quality.

Tesco Direct for sxample, offer misic titles for under £1 each, which could also be said that its "Too good to be true".

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

donny

posted on 5/3/09 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I'm not saying that someone is going to come knocking on your door for downloading a few films but that doesn't make it legal. Distribution is clearly the greater crime that they will be going after.

I know a friend of a friend who enjoyed downloading films for free. He got a personal hand delivered letter. Something along the lines of we are watching and will be in touch!

cd.thomson

posted on 5/3/09 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
lol I love how people fall for this stuff .

"we are legit because we say we are"

For future reference, most of the large scale criminal use of the internet occurs in Russia or using Runet - like the russian business network.

If you want to download legal music, films and software use HavenCo based suppliers from Sealand - thats legit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HavenCo

Craig

Project7

posted on 5/3/09 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
Also I would keep an eye on my credit card bill - because those people now have your credit card details
Jasper

posted on 5/3/09 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
Copyright law is quite simple, it's the sharing of the data that's illegal. If you download it but don't share it back up to the internet (which you have to do with Torrent and P2P sharing) then it's not illegal.

Where you get it from is irrelevant, and it doesn't matter what the web site says.

As others have said, ignorance is no defense. If it's a Russian site is bound to be dodgy, if it's iTunes then it's not, common sense prevails.

I'd personally rather not give some dodgy Russian site (probably mafia run) lots of my hard earned when they don't own the copyright. Slumdog is a prime example - knowbody is gonna believe they have the right to distribute it when it's not even out on DVD yet.

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

PhilCross66

posted on 5/3/09 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
Jasper thats exactly the point I was trying to make, its safer from a legal point of view to download from this site than to use torrents or P2P. Torrents and P2P is filesharing, you are uploading something that is not yours at the same time as you are downloading it. That is why Donny's friend has had a threatening letter, it was filesharing not pure downloading
Jasper

posted on 5/3/09 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
If you want to do pure downloading there are much safer and cheaper ways to do it, bearing in mind it's all a bit dodgy. I still don't like the idea of give my credit card details and cash to a dodgy Russian web site.

Newsgroups are the way to go for superfast and safe downloading of movies, you pay a monthly subscription (about £10) and you can download pretty much all you like. Takes a bit of getting your head around (like Torrents do) but really worth it once you do.

MakeEverything

posted on 5/3/09 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
If you want to do pure downloading there are much safer and cheaper ways to do it, bearing in mind it's all a bit dodgy. I still don't like the idea of give my credit card details and cash to a dodgy Russian web site.

Newsgroups are the way to go for superfast and safe downloading of movies, you pay a monthly subscription (about £10) and you can download pretty much all you like. Takes a bit of getting your head around (like Torrents do) but really worth it once you do.

Thats it, lets stereotype all russian websites.... Theyre all dodgy, mafia run, theiving con artists.... I dont think so.

Like i said, ive had a law practicing collegue of mine look into this, and he said there was nothing to worry about. Its not file sharing, they publish that they have copyright licenses, and everything checks out on a business front.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

Jasper

posted on 6/3/09 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
Well, your choice mate ..... but there is no way they can have a license for a film that is not even out yet......

MakeEverything

posted on 6/3/09 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
but there is no way they can have a license for a film that is not even out yet......

Why not? The film has been out for quite a few weeks now. There are other films ive seen hit the cinema that have DVD's and Videos released a couple of weeks later. It all depends if they hit their targets in the box office. Same with Satellite TV. They have had Pay per View films on there for films that are more recent recent.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

Jasper

posted on 6/3/09 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
There's obviously no convincing you that this site is completely dodgy ..... if you want to see if a film is available to rent then check out Love Film, if it's not showing as available now on there (no coming soon) then it's not released...

MakeEverything

posted on 6/3/09 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, but what makes Love Film the oracle of released movies?

Their terms and conditions are almost EXACTLY the same;

"You acknowledge and agree that certain content on this Website and on discs provided to you is the property of third party licensors"

Its just that they are accredited and a lot larger than ZML.

Its not that there is no convincing, but i cant see anything that anyone here has said that proves otherwise, only opinion and speculation.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

Jasper

posted on 6/3/09 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
Only trying to help, you've made your own mind up already....

cd.thomson

posted on 8/3/09 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
http://forum.mininova.org/index.php?showtopic=235005536&pid=344745&st=0

looks like ZML are borrowing aXXo torrents who is one of the biggest reliable film piraters out there. Odd how they can take an illegal rip of a film and create a license for it.

Also interesting how ZML and MVL are based in the UK but are using Russian copyright laws?

Craig

Paul TigerB6

posted on 8/3/09 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Only trying to help, you've made your own mind up already....

Its clear Richard has already made up his mind and nothing will convince him otherwise. Its blindingly obvious now to everyone (but one) that the site is seriously dodgy but he clearly believes to use the most obvious "release" on there that Slumdog - probably the biggest film of the year, has been released for download while its still on at the cinema's and only a week after winning 8 Oscars (but only in Russia).

The scam site says they are paying for a licence so clearly it must be true!!! If anyone wants to use that site then its at their own risk isnt it. I know i wont be risking it though

MakeEverything

posted on 8/3/09 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
Interesting read......

Ok, so the information in its terms of service are now out of date!!? lol

ooks like o need to find another film supplier after all!!

.... Or did you forget to read ALL of the posts before making your inflammatory comment?

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

Staple balls

posted on 20/3/09 at 04:15 AM Reply With Quote
Just noticed this.

Basically, the site is legal. In Russia. Ish.

They pretty much work on the same premise as allofmp3, using old copyright laws/licensing more aimed towards radio stations etc, to allow them to broadcast media to you.

Also, it's pretty likely they'll legitimately have very new movies, because russia is in dvd region 5, where dvds come out fast and cheap, with little extra processing, to combat piracy.

However, the licensing they do use isn't recognised by pretty much anyone in the west.

Personally, I wouldn't touch them with an extremely long stick, they're no more legal than torrents/usenet, and don't offer the vast range of stuff of other means of piracy.

And there is also the risk of iffy card processors etc, not saying that's the case, but it's worth using a disposable account for stuff like this.

Jasper

posted on 23/3/09 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
We've all said this already, but he won't be told

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.