Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Are pickled onions that are 18 months out of date edible? - now burnt hand
MikeR

posted on 31/5/09 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
did the burn about 2 1/2 hours ago.

had hand in iced water for last 40 mins as run out of other cold stuff.

so far (5 mins out of water) it seems ok. Think i've finally taken the heat out - although my fingers are a little numb from the cold water and typing is difficult.

weird bit is the complete lack of skin damage - no blisters. Slowly starting to see the area that i lent on turn a little redder (ie 1" wide strip).

From what i've read there is nothing they can do apart from cold water etc. Long story but if the skin does break i've got some prescription antiseptic / antibiotic cream (insert bit about men going to see a doctor etc). If its sore in the morning i'll go see someone.

Now as i've not gone out as usual on a sunday ........ trying to figure what i could do. Perhaps i should try the onions

MikeR

posted on 31/5/09 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
spoke to soon - hands heading back to iced water!

(least the pizza is in the oven and the ciders open)

chrisg

posted on 31/5/09 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Lost count of the times I've done that, comsierations mate

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

richard thomas

posted on 31/5/09 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Try pickling it.....you never know!

Liam

posted on 31/5/09 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
You did say you've previously opened it, so there's the possibility the change of air and lack of seal could introduce stuff that could cause it to go off. I've had an old jar of pickled onions grow mold on top as they'd been opened. Still, even then I guess I could have dug out the layer of green hairy mold and the onoins underneath were probably fine! Didn't though...

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 31/5/09 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
Forgot that after you leave a piece, walk away, potter, walk back cant hold another bit of steel with gloves on, remove glove as you can't hold it properly, when you go to support yourself even though the metal isn't glowing its still blooming hot.

Did something similar, but still had my welding gloves on when I picked the metal - still hurt, through the gloves... no damage, but I did drop the piece PDQ!

carpmart

posted on 31/5/09 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
I've done pretty much the same thing at it bloody hurt! I was racing and managed to get the paramedics to but a burns bandage on and in such a way as I could still get my glove on for the last race. God did that hurt!

Then 3 hours driving home with the hand out the window (right hand luckily) to keep it in some cool airflow.

It hurt for a few days but got in the way for 2 week or so whilst it healed!

I promise you that you will be extra careful in future!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

02GF74

posted on 1/6/09 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
you big wuss!!!

remember David Carradine in the series Kung Fu? He lifted and carried a cauldon of boiling coals and didn't moan as much as you.

I'll bet he eats pickled onions, straight from the jar using his fingers, no girly fork for him

Vindi_andy

posted on 1/6/09 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
if there is no blistering the burn has gone deep.

If the skin break cover in cling film strange I know but makes an airtight seal the keep the microbes out and stop it going septic. It is prepared and rolled in a clean sterile environment and the inside will still be sterile as it makes a seal on itself. It wont actually stick to the burnt area. Its what hospitals use and what is recomended to first aiders.

My mum had some pickled eggs she had done that were 5 years old. been done in brown vinegar rather than white and they were edible if a little strong on the vinegar taste

[Edited on 1/6/09 by Vindi_andy]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.