Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Alfa's, Whats the crack?
whitestu

posted on 22/10/09 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
I had a Leon FR170 on test when I was getting my last car, and though it wasn't very good - In fact I disliked it that much I went for a prius instead!

I know what would have been paked on the drive if Alfas had been on the company list though.

MikeRJ

posted on 22/10/09 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
I'd go for the Alfa any day of the week over the boring VAG option. VAG reliability isn't even that great.
TPG

posted on 22/10/09 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
.....I had a dally with a rather fit one a few months back.....Hoooooh!
Image deleted by owner

..Which was nice..

Ninehigh

posted on 22/10/09 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Apparently the newer ones are more reliable, made by the Germans.

You got to remember Alfa is the Fiat's "Special" range, kinda like Audi is to VW and Lexus is to Toyota

locogeoff

posted on 22/10/09 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jimgiblett
I was converted to Alfaholism 3 years ago (bought a 67 Guilia Sprint) and just cant imagine not having mine. Pics of mine are in my photo archive under Alfa.
[Edited on 22/10/09 by jimgiblett]

I'm insanely jealous, I've had a hankering for a GT Junior for years, looks like the prices are going through the roof even for the Junior

martyn_16v

posted on 22/10/09 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
The Mrs had a 147 that I had the misfortune of having to look after, horrible horrible thing. Looked pretty when it was parked up, which is fortunate as that's what it spent the vast majority of it's time doing.

I don't know what the diesel engines are like but they can't be any worse than the petrol ones. Drink oil at about the same rate as they use petrol (dealers and the muppets on the owners club forum think 1L per 500 miles is acceptable ), and if you even think about letting it get as low as halfway between the high and low marks on the dipstick it will chew up it's chocolate big ends/mains. The low oil 'warning' on the dash isn't a warning at all, warnings are supposed to happen before it becomes fatal. By the time it complains the engine is already a very large paperweight.

The electrics fit the stereotype perfectly. The digital dash would spend most of it's time warning you of all the things it thought had failed but actually hadn't (for now at least), usually phantom bulb failures. ABS/traction control system worked only when it felt like it. ECU died a slow and horrible death, would stick itself into limp-home mode in protest at having to make any kind of foray out onto such scary things as 'the road'.

Suspension bushes were knackered after 50k miles, and are integral to the wishbones meaning most of the front suspension needs replacing to stop it clonking.

Scuttle drain channels are cunningly designed to fill with leaf litter and block, flooding the interior at the first sign of drizzle.

Still, you've got to have one at some point...

mistergrumpy

posted on 22/10/09 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
I'm kinda with Paul the 6th in that you're only going to get biased views and having owned an Alfa Spider, with BT in that the electrics are troublesome, but not deadly.
I remember my Alfa days with fondness. The parts cost a bomb and the customer service was worse than 5hite but I honestly saw people pulled over for looking at my car and not the road and it's so flattering. The noise it makes is fantastic but the money I lost out on it! It was like starting on the car ladder all over again. Luckily I got a family loan but it was a great time. I wired a PC into mine with touch screen and had all my music and videos on it.
I would never even look at a Seat. Just doesn't do it for me. Too much like a kids drawing and, not through personal experience only friends and strangers, they tended to lack that VW reliability that's so boasted about.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.