"How the feck???

Don't let steve see this thread lol""

hahahaha

I did laugh at that comment

Richard Quinn

posted on 14/11/09 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fozzie
I am NOT an insurance expert, but as far as I can recall, if nothing/no one else was involved, and no damage done to roads lamp posts etc, then whether you claim or not is down to you....

Fozzie
and hedgerows! Seriously! Mate of mine put his car through a hedge upside down suffering some bad injuries in the process. The farmer was there before the police!

BenB

posted on 14/11/09 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Quinn
quote:
I am NOT an insurance expert, but as far as I can recall, if nothing/no one else was involved, and no damage done to roads lamp posts etc, then whether you claim or not is down to you....

Fozzie
and hedgerows! Seriously! Mate of mine put his car through a hedge upside down suffering some bad injuries in the process. The farmer was there before the police!

Did he say "get out of my field" and wave a shotgun in a traditional farmer manner?

Fozzie

posted on 14/11/09 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Quinn
quote:

Fozzie

Richard, I did put the all important 'etc' ....

Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

McLannahan

posted on 14/11/09 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Craig - Gutted for you. Looked like a spanker!

I'd buy another and swap the bits over. Scrap value of the old one will help towards it.

Interior in good nick? Half leather version? Might be worth a few quid too..

I'd not claim for that unless it can't be avoided? Buy another and get back on the road!

All the best

norfolkluego

posted on 14/11/09 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Craig,
Check your policy carefully before you decide what to do, depending on how it's worded you won't necessarily lose all of your NCD, depending on the value of the claim you may keep some, very much down to the fine print, check.
As for claiming, as said, no injuries or third part damage, up to you, if there was outstanding finance though you may have to claim. Also depending on the damage if you claim the insurer might right it off.

iank

posted on 14/11/09 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
I'd avoid the insurance if you can afford not to, they will get more money back over the years than they pay you out.

Glad you're ok, damp roads can catch out anyone in a lightweight car (most people blame 'a patch of diesel' on the road )

May I be the first to suggest the obligatory bottle of T-cut

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Steve G

posted on 14/11/09 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
May I be the first to suggest the obligatory bottle of T-cut

You cant say that.................... as you forgot to mention the duct tape to go with it!!!

As above though - probably not worth claiming as you have to declare claims for 5 years. Might be worth running the scenario through an online price comparison site though - deduct 2 years no claims from what you have now and tick the "yes" box to having made a claim

[Edited on 14/11/09 by Steve G]

Dangle_kt

posted on 14/11/09 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldnt claim personally, as you will pay back the value of the car over the next 5 years insuirance premiums.

This is especially true if the cars you buy are performance cars, as the premium will be high already without the % hike of a fault accident.

if you are only using them as a weekend toy then I guess that would be the situation.

I have had a few accidents on bikes where I dropped it or whatever, insurance dont need to know.

there is also the possibilty of buying a super cheap "track day only" 205 and reusing your current vin (and thereby insurance, tax disc, MOT...) very naughty I know, and you wouldn't dream of it as a way of getting back on the road in the cheapest way possible

speedyxjs

posted on 14/11/09 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
Some of our vans have had some 'bumps' in the past and we tend to try to avoid going through insurance as the excess isn't much less than the repair (probably not the case in this instance)

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Staple balls

posted on 14/11/09 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
I'm no expert, but I think the rubber side is meant to be on the bottom

Sucks about the car, but at least you're undamaged.

Liam

posted on 14/11/09 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Ooops!

Gutted for you - she was a beauty

I too question the financial sense of making the insurance claim, which in turn makes me question why you've been paying for fully comp insurance in the first place?

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cd.thomson

posted on 14/11/09 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
believe or not but the fully comp was cheaper than tpft!

I'm only 22 and I only have 1 years NCB.

I think i'm probably not going to claim and just move my insurance over my learner brothers 1.3 fiesta slowmobile.

having real trouble coming to terms with taking ten steps back into the "remedial" school of driving where I have to drive a car of a 17 YO.

if anybody wants anything from the 205 let me know!

Craig

steve m

posted on 14/11/09 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
I want the roof
02GF74

posted on 14/11/09 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

has to be surely?

you would claim if you needed the cash to pays for damage you caused or repair/replacement of your car.

even if say a third party i.e. a car was damaged, I would have thought even then if you paid what they were claiming, you could do it out of yourpocket without claiingt on your insurance - that situation does not apply here.

when getting an insurance quote, tjhey ask for any claims, your fault of not, in the last 3 or 5 years. anythig they pay out, they will claw pack with interest.

wot's the 205 worth BTW (in its before condtion)?

what you should be worried about more is if mr plod get's involved and get you done of dangerous or whatever driving resulting in points - that is not good.

[Edited on 14/11/09 by 02GF74]

cd.thomson

posted on 14/11/09 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
i bought it for £1500, which is the going rate. not sure what the book price is for them though, less i imagine.

Plod was involved. Even tried to "entrap" me with "i bet you were going down here at some whack werent you, like everyone does! I mean even I do 60 down here. What speed do you reckon you'd got it up to?" followed quickly by "its a good job you only had a few to drink last night"

cheeky!

But they've recorded it as no injury single vehicle RTA. Hedge was a bit of a mess but he specifically said he wasnt going to bother recording that.

Craig

snapper

posted on 15/11/09 at 06:28 AM Reply With Quote
205's are a bit livelly the slightest lift and your going sideways.
I had a similar problem with a 309 GTI too fast in, understeer, lift off, snap oversteer, over corrected, snapped the other way, bent the rear axle, sill door.
Got the insurance, bought back the car, rebuilt it complete with secondhand beam then spent ages trying to get an engineers report because the insurance company would not insure without one

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Ninehigh

posted on 15/11/09 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
I had to claim for a single vehicle accident a few years ago, total cost to insurer £3400 minus my excess. Tbh it didn't jump up that much but it might be worth having a look at insurance quotes before looking at the car.

I'm now 29 and I have 2 accidents and 2 speeding tickets on my name and to be fair my quotes aren't astronomical (about £6-700 for me and clean-sheet missus on an 05 2ltd mondeo, I have 0 no claims).

If you don't claim you have a bunch of 205 parts to flog and your insurance is unaffected (they're only concerned with how much they have to pay out with accidents). If you do claim (provided it's written off) you'll have no excess to pay and a cheque for another car

:{THC}:YosamiteSam

posted on 15/11/09 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
the only thing i would be worried about would be the next tiem i got insurance - they do ask
'have you had any accidents, claims or convictions in the last ..... however many years'

if you can get round that i would just not claim and save for another car - if its a write off the claim may jump by 25% - mine did when i wrote my car off

coozer

posted on 15/11/09 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
When I binned my MNR the claim was for £3000.. add that to the £4500 I claimed for bike accident 4 3/4 years ago and the policy on the MNR has gone down BUT, the tpft on my Rover TD has doubled despite 6 years ncb on that..

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

cd.thomson

posted on 15/11/09 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
looking into insurance today and it looks like with a £2500 claim (way over what it should be for a total loss) and no NCB it will cost the same to insure myself on my brothers car as my insurance costs now .

So my options appear to be:

Pay for the car to be returned to me (-£200??) strip her out and sell all the bits (+£200) and transfer the insurance over so that when renewal comes around I have an unloaded premium and 2 years NCB

OR

make the claim, I think my excess is £350 but could be £600 as I'm not sure how it works (the letter is unclear) so I'll get something under £900 back. Move my insurance onto my brothers car which wont cost any more than it does now. Then have to lump the fact im 1 1/2 years behind on my NCB and that insurance on the Dax might be difficult/expensive. Oh, and I wont be able to have a "fun" tin top until I'm 27.

Too many variables are making my head hurt.

I think if I had protected 6 years NCB and and a 10k car I would have to claim, and I definitely wouldnt if I had no NCB and a £500 car.

[Edited on 15/11/09 by cd.thomson]

Craig

JoelP

posted on 15/11/09 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
remember, if you ever need an excuse for crashing, just say you sneezed. You cant be blamed for that! Say it got on the mud and then went sideways, and you're a hero for avoiding the bus full of kids coming the other way.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Ninehigh

posted on 15/11/09 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
Problem is sneeze or hero call or being a tit if the insurance company has to pay out money that's what counts. I asked about this when there was no "stolen" option in the claims part of the form and I was told to put it down as a fault claim because they paid out for it

JoelP

posted on 15/11/09 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
i meant its a good excuse for the police, as i wouldnt dream of claiming for a one car accident. That just makes you look daft to the insurers, they'd probably but a special note about you on the computer!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

scudderfish

posted on 15/11/09 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
Insurance is not clear cut. I used to have an Elise and I stuffed it off a roundabout. It went back to Hethel and took 3 months to fix. They took the engine and interior out of my car and built a new one. Lotus were only charging £28ph, but still came up with a bill of £14k. At the time I was insured with Norwich Union for £1k. Come renewal time, I gave Elephant a ring and they came back with £900. I seriously bent the car, lost my no claims, and got £100 of my premium. Go figure.
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.