Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rolling Road killed my engine CAR IS SOLD
omega0684

posted on 11/6/10 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
if you are selling bits and pieces, can i ask what digi dash is in it please

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
eznfrank

posted on 11/6/10 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
I think the comments relying to engine mounts mean they are set up for his current engine in other words it wouldn't be a straight swap to say r1, blade etc, not that the mounts are wrong for his current engine.

As above mate, keep your chin up, forget about it for the weekend and let the dust settle before you make any rash decisions.

Worse case - stick a kidney on eBay!!!!

t16turbotone

posted on 11/6/10 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
I feel your pain too, gutted for you. As said let the dust settle before you make any decission m8
fha772

posted on 11/6/10 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
How the hell have they killed the engine?

Surely while it was in their care, if they was monitoring how they should have during the session, it should never have gone bang.

If the engine was ropey, then they should have stopped there and then.

What kind of untrained chimps are they when they can't spot a occuring engine fault while fully monitoring it during a rolling road session.

I think I will steer well clear of them, when I'm looking for rolling road set up on my projects!!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=6743&start=105

quinnj3

posted on 11/6/10 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
I would be thinking along the same lines as fha772. I think any tuner worth their salt would notice an occuring fault before any serious damage was caused. Surely before any work can be undertaken there are tests which should be done before hand.

I did see a video of a R1 engine throwing a conrod though. It went without warning whilst reving hard.

Anyway, take your time before you make a decision. If you sell it now, by this time next year you could be regretting it.

my aim is to build my own locost wether it takes me a week or 10 years to get started, i'm sure i will sometime

franky

posted on 11/6/10 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
Normally you sign a disclaimer before going on a rolling road. where did you get the motor from? if its gone bang the first time it was revved under load then there was a problem with the engine when you bought it. If its from a damaged bike chances are its run when its on its side etc which isn't ideal.

Take a step back, don't sell anything yet(except the seats!). Wait 2 weeks, don't watch the footy as its for girls and they'll only loose anyway.

BenB

posted on 11/6/10 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
I'd be mighty pissed off if a RR operator rang me to tell me my engine had "died". Have they any mechanical sympathy? What where they doing?

I also wonder whether selling off the expensive bits is an option. At least enough so you can mothball it until you've built up some enthusiasm again.....

gottabedone

posted on 11/6/10 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
It's easy to sit here and offer free advice but surely your car (and we know it's one nice machine!) is worth far more complete and working than as a pile of bits. You will get a queue of people offering average bids for your toys but then you are going to be left with a big chunk that you may have to practically give away
02GF74

posted on 11/6/10 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
chin up. at some point all of us go through this kind of stuff.

leave alone for a week, then you need to sit down and think really hard about the money apsect and decide to cut your losses as best you can - it may even be worthwile fitting a cheapish engine to sell as a runner.

ofcourse it is guttring to see all your time and effort go but it is not the worst thing in the world.

daviep

posted on 11/6/10 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fha772

Surely while it was in their care, if they was monitoring how they should have during the session, it should never have gone bang.

What kind of untrained chimps are they when they can't spot a occuring engine fault while fully monitoring it during a rolling road session.

I think I will steer well clear of them, when I'm looking for rolling road set up on my projects!!

Are you in any way qualified to offer such an opinion?

Have you ever seen an engine on a dyno?

Davie

fha772

posted on 11/6/10 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daviep
quote:

Davie

Only the odd 1 or 2, lets see...

486bhp twin turbo 535i BMW,
378bhp 13B Turbo II Mazda RX3,
573bhp Mercedes 560SEC,
346bhp Turbo'd RV8 MGB GT,
654bhp 427 supercharged 1965 Ford Mustang,
Twin turbo 280GE Mercedes G-Wagen(this took 2 days on the rollers to get right),
That's just my old projects, i could go onto my dad's projects that i've worked on,
2 V12 Jags, Bentley Turbo R, 6 Mini's, etc...

I've been on the rollers with all of these(and a few more too) over the past 19 years, i've been to some very good rolling roads, and i've been to some and had a bad feeling and left.

Just because a garage can afford a rolling road cell, doesn't mean they know how to use it properly.

richardh

posted on 11/6/10 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
you entrust your car to them so it shouldn't be about whether we know about dynos or not.
That's what the dials and gizmos are for.

I'd be looking for recompense.................

Time for a change!

daniel mason

posted on 11/6/10 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
to call damian an un-trained chimp is rediculous! he is a top man and really really knows his stuff! it could have been a number of things which caused the engine to fail?

stevebubs

posted on 11/6/10 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by daviep
quote:

Davie

Only the odd 1 or 2, lets see...

486bhp twin turbo 535i BMW,
378bhp 13B Turbo II Mazda RX3,
573bhp Mercedes 560SEC,
346bhp Turbo'd RV8 MGB GT,
654bhp 427 supercharged 1965 Ford Mustang,
Twin turbo 280GE Mercedes G-Wagen(this took 2 days on the rollers to get right),
That's just my old projects, i could go onto my dad's projects that i've worked on,
2 V12 Jags, Bentley Turbo R, 6 Mini's, etc...

I've been on the rollers with all of these(and a few more too) over the past 19 years, i've been to some very good rolling roads, and i've been to some and had a bad feeling and left.

Just because a garage can afford a rolling road cell, doesn't mean they know how to use it properly.

There are definitely some "bad" rolling road operators out there. I wouldn't trust my local operator further than I could throw him...and I'm not alone in that experience...

Wheels244

posted on 11/6/10 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
to call damian an un-trained chimp is rediculous! he is a top man and really really knows his stuff! it could have been a number of things which caused the engine to fail?

Daniel is right - I met Damien when he sorted the emissions problems with my car at pre-SVA check at MNR.
A very nice approachable chap, who knows his trade very well - he didn't even charge me !!
An engine is a mechanical device - they go wrong from time to time, especially one spinning at 11000+rpm !!! Anything could have happened, catastrophic failure can occur for a number of reasons without warning - nobody, including me, can call into question someones competancy or otherwise without knowing the facts of what happened.
Do I trust the guy ? Well I'm booking mine in with him for tuning in the near future.

ETA

Sorry to hear about your car - stick with it mate - come over for a spin in mine - that will get you back on track

[Edited on 11/6/10 by Wheels244]

daniel mason

posted on 11/6/10 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
my last car was there and he did a great job with it. 133 BHP from 5jj R1. this thread is getting crazy with people making comments!
lets wait for o/p to come back and give some more info before we make any more allegations,its someones buisiness we are commenting on here!
and for the record i will be taking my next car to daytuner

Richard Quinn

posted on 11/6/10 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
I feel for you, but sh*t happens. Just put it away for bit and then think about what you want/need to do with the car but don't rush into anything until you've had chance to get your head straight.
The Venom Project

posted on 11/6/10 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
If you give people some idea of how much you want for it, you might get more interest and sell it quicker (if that's really what you want)...........

Phil

Car for sale in For Sale section now :-)

It's not that i'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.....

The Venom Project

posted on 11/6/10 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eddie99
Don't think its a good idea to sell it. How much you want for it? Can't daytuner help pay towards repairing? And did you put the wrong mounts on?

I think its not Daytuners fault, he seems like a sound guy, im not claiming for something I could not say was faulty or not, I wasnt present today, ah well, back to motorbikes

The Venom Project

posted on 11/6/10 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
I love that enthusiasm, but a repair at £1000, s/h engine at £2200 and maybe £4K for a new one, no way, I will get another bike when I have the money, Life sucks, I just have to suck it up

The Venom Project

posted on 11/6/10 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
I cannot honestly blame anyone really?
I think at 9000RPM it just seized, no warning, who knows what it is, sounds to me like oil stavation. I know one thing, I never EVER had a problem with a bike engine in a bike, I think putting a bike engine in a car now is a really bad idea, lesson learnt, back to bikes I think. Maybe when I have some bloody money again... Car for sale in FOR SALE section

The Venom Project

posted on 11/6/10 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote

Davie

I im pretty confident Damien would do his best for me, Im so pissed off, im so upset that my lovely green monster is now going to be sold as IVA ready needing an engine, no more money in my pot, but I can still wee in it :-)

The Venom Project

posted on 11/6/10 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason

I don't hold him responsible, I think he knows his shit, I would never blame him, I feel the FUCKING ACCUSUMP is the cause of this FUCK UP...

Arggggggg jim lad

fha772

posted on 12/6/10 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
That's fair enough, i'm just surprised that it went bang, if everything was fine with the engine prior to the session. Unless it was a major mechanical failure/breakage, like a conrod going.

franky

posted on 12/6/10 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
Do you know the history of the engine? what makes you think it was the accusump?
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.