Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: flipping vosa, jobsworth douchebags.
cd.thomson

posted on 19/7/10 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
there may also be the slight issue that i played my "joker" on the phone and told him vauxhall couldn't find any details of the engine so haynes was the only thing I had. So I'm not sure what his reaction will be if I turn up with a letter?!

He just said there was nothing he could do at his end so no point me retesting it until I could provide something relevant.

If I do pass the test is there anyway he can stop me registering the car once he gives me a mac?

[Edited on 19/7/10 by cd.thomson]

Craig

speedyxjs

posted on 19/7/10 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
Just an idea, How about going to your local main stealer and seeing if they might be able to find out from your specific engine number. they may have 'contacts' in Vauxhall how may be more helpful?

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

omega 24 v6

posted on 19/7/10 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

If I do pass the test is there anyway he can stop me registering the car once he gives me a mac?

Highly unlikely but bear in mind that if you fit a cat etc etc and he passes it it will most likely be at the stricter cat emissions
so if you remove the cat then you will need to probably refitt it come mot times
oh and you have U2U

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

tony-devon

posted on 19/7/10 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
even if you proove that the engine was from before compulsory CAT's is it possible that he will say it has to have one anyway as the engine originally was fitted with a cat, hence the C in C20XE

just a thought but can you lay your hands on an old 2l 8v lump a 20ne or 20seh?

fit that get it tested and then swap engine back?

I now always keep a photocopy of the logbook that the donor engines come from

although as mine are all bike based, my MSVA test is far easier, but next project after this is a car, so already thinking ahead

heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it breaks, hit them with it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
omega 24 v6

posted on 19/7/10 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

even if you proove that the engine was from before compulsory CAT's is it possible that he will say it has to have one anyway as the engine originally was fitted with a cat, hence the C in C20XE

There is the problem because not all c20xe's had a cat fitted. my one did not but was still a c20xe stamped block ( original engine) luckily I also had a 20xe which i fitted.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

cd.thomson

posted on 19/7/10 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tony-devon

just a thought but can you lay your hands on an old 2l 8v lump a 20ne or 20seh?

fit that get it tested and then swap engine back?

I now always keep a photocopy of the logbook that the donor engines come from

although as mine are all bike based, my MSVA test is far easier, but next project after this is a car, so already thinking ahead

Cheers tony, but thats not the case.

He's happy to test me as per the emissions test flowcharts which only take engine age in to account, not whether it was fitted with a cat originally.

Craig

Mal

posted on 19/7/10 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
Contact a Vauxhall engine tuning company such as SBD to see if they can offer any help.
Also, try a Vauxhall dealer to see if their computer system can find the car registration number, and hence date from the engine number.

pewe

posted on 19/7/10 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
Craig, tugging at my long grey beard (well it's not that long) - you've spent a considerable amount of time and money reaching here.
Whilst the odds may currently seem stacked against you we all recognise the frustration of taking one step forward and two back when it comes to the build and putting it on the road.
I reckon to a man (and ladies) we'd all say that the end result makes the frustration worthwhile - see the number of responses you've had in such a short space of time.
Do not give up - hang in there - you WILL resolve your problems - it WILL be worth it.
HTH.
Cheers, Pewe

[Edited on 19/7/10 by pewe]

James

posted on 19/7/10 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
Vauxhall website and get a logo.

You got Word right? Got a printer?

Is there still a problem?

If you want extra evidence put a phone number of a mate who's primed with the full story. Or even leave your landline number and leave a "You've come through to X Vauxhall dealership" answer phone message.

Job is job!

cheers,
James

[Edited on 19/7/10 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

l0rd

posted on 19/7/10 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
where is the number stamped?

According to this website
http://topbuzz.co.uk/info/engine_codes/engine_codes.htm

The engine code shall be stamped below the cylinder head (up to 1993), usually on a small flat surface. But after 1993 the location moved to the edge of the cylinder block, transmission side.

02GF74

posted on 19/7/10 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pewe
Craig, tugging at my long grey beard (well it's not that long) - you've spent a considerable amount of time and money reaching here.
Whilst the odds may currently seem stacked against you we all recognise the frustration of taking one step forward and two back when it comes to the build and putting it on the road.
I reckon to a man we'd all say that the end result makes the frustration worthwhile - see the number of responses you've had in such a short space of time.
Do not give up - hang in there - you WILL resolve your problems - it WILL be worth it.

on a scale of to 10, where death is 10, it doesn't really rank that highly.

bottom line is it is gonna cost you money - either for a CAT, another dated engine or some other means and maybe IVA test fee but none of that is the end of the world

admittedly when you are broke, even a hundred squid is a big deal.

hang on in there list up you options and then find the one that is easier/cheapest.

scootz

posted on 19/7/10 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
I'd stick to an officially sourced document Craig... this tester sounds like a right one and could end up turning detective to drop you in the doo-doo!

It's Evolution Baby!

dhutch

posted on 19/7/10 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
You can get a purchase receipt for the engine easy.
- It very least, you can sell it to your mate for £0.50 and then buy it back an hour later for the same! Engine doesnt even have to leave the car.

Daniel

cd.thomson

posted on 19/7/10 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
I'd stick to an officially sourced document Craig... this tester sounds like a right one and could end up turning detective to drop you in the doo-doo!

A user on here has informed me that their letter from vauxhall just confirmed their engine was made before the end of 1995 - which is basically the information I have already.

I see no way round this at all considering my £200ish budget (thanks dad) and 4 weeks until I move away.

Craig

Liam

posted on 19/7/10 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
I'd be considering going above this numpty's head and writing a letter to VOSA strongly complaining about this guy's attitude (using his name), pointing out that you can prove the engine wasn't even produced after 1995, that even from Vauxhall themelves the specific date of manufacture of the individual engine is not available, not that that should matter given the above, that other vehicles with the same engine have been sucessfully tested, that you have paid a significant sum of money for the test and are deeply unsatisfied with the service you have received from VOSA, etc etc etc.

Maybe worth a try? Good luck and dont give up. Why is it so critical it's done and dusted before you move away? Never planning to come back?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scudderfish

posted on 19/7/10 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
Wot Liam said ^^

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/contactus/complaintsprocedure/complaintsprocedure.htm

iank

posted on 19/7/10 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
Since you told VOSA that Vauxhall don't know when the engine was manufactured it would seem to leave you in the position of changing the engine or fitting a cat. A letter from Vauxhall will be treated as proof because they are talking about your engine, haynes just talks generally about models not about when your specific engine came down the line so wouldn't ever be taken as proof - you'll need something better than that as an appeal (the 'lots of other people passed SVA' gambit is also unlikely to do the job at least without names, dates and test stations). Ford encode the year of manufacture in the engine number so are MUCH easier to prove with less paperwork required.

Forging Vauxhall letterhead might have been an option but as VOSA are rumoured to monitor this site amongst others it doesn't seem wise now even if the guy didn't know you were desperate.

BTW you won't get a MAC until you pass the test, and you won't pass the test until it passes emissions one way or another. So I'm not sure what you mean about passing the test and them stopping you registering.

Which brings me to a final point. Abusing a VOSA official for doing his job according to the rules given to him on a public forum that may be monitored using your real name doesn't seem likely to lead to an easier path to getting the car on the road. So despite your frustration staying reasonable and polite is the only sensible option.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Liam

posted on 19/7/10 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
I might let the guy know first that I'm going to complain about him personally - see if he squirms a bit and backs down to save you the bother.
James

posted on 19/7/10 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
Could you book your retest at a different station? Get a more reasonable inspector?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

russbost

posted on 19/7/10 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
This guy is obviously going to stick to the letter of the law so don't provide falsified proof - will probs only make matters worse.
Talk (calmly & sensibly) to Mark Vickers, Steve Bardsley, or Steve Jones at VOSA, 01792 454256, 01792 454351, they will give you the official requirement of what you need to do to prove the engine age & their view may be different from the testers. I have found these guys most helpful, they can't tell the tester what to do, but if they advise one thing, he does another & you take the matter to appeal you have a very strong case.
Best of luck & don't flush it all down the tubes over something so minor - if worst comes to worst bung an older engine in that you have proof of age for & swap it out afterward

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Surrey Dave

posted on 19/7/10 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
Softlad??

None of us like to be 'pulled up' when we've made a bit of tit of ourselves .

Obviously the reference to me being 'Softlad' (Someone with a weak personality. A wimp, a pussy, a soft person) in your reply was an insult in retribution.

Can say no more..................

Is there anyone on here who could lend you a cat system for your engine?

l0rd

posted on 19/7/10 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Can't you speak to VOSA and ask them for the information on what car the engine was installed in?

They must know.

l0rd

posted on 19/7/10 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
Something a bit dodgy

There is car on Ebay, A 1995 Calibra

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1995-VAUXHALL-CALIBRA-GREY-/150469260639?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item2308aab55f

Can't you ask him the engine number if it is a Red top and then offer him some money and explain the situation if he can photocopy the information that you require from the logbook?

Dodgy but you will never know if you don't ask.

if your engine number is lower in the food chain than his car then there you go. His 1st registration was in Aug1995. Just on the cut out date.

[Edited on 19/7/10 by l0rd]

[Edited on 19/7/10 by l0rd]

Liam

posted on 19/7/10 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
quote:
Originally posted by scootz

A user on here has informed me that their letter from vauxhall just confirmed their engine was made before the end of 1995 - which is basically the information I have already.

I see no way round this at all considering my £200ish budget (thanks dad) and 4 weeks until I move away.

Iank makes an important point though - there is a crucial difference between the haynes info you have and the vaux letter. Presumably the vaux letter says something along the lines of 'the engine enquired about was made before end of 1995' - i.e. it relates to a specific engine, so is not just 'basically the information you have already'. Have you actually asked the guy if he would accept such a letter (maybe show him a copy of it for an example)? He might which would leave you only with the lesser problem of getting a reciept (have you tried where/who you actually got it from?) and raising the £100 to get the letter. If he's really not going to accept the vaux letter then you have grounds for a proper complaint.

big_wasa

posted on 19/7/10 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
If all he wants is a cat then get one.

link

I am sure some one on here would weld it on for you.

Thats got to be the best sollution ?

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.