posted on 26/5/11 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
I think you need to have a look at the clutch itself

I suspect something is stopping the plates coming apart cleanly

Hence it dragging ang breaking cables as you overpress it to compensate

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

mistergrumpy

posted on 26/5/11 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Yes. I think I'll have too. What a pain but I suspect the plates are sticking somewhat, just intermittently.
mad-butcher

posted on 26/5/11 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
I know it's a different motor but on my early Blade motor there are 3 different length clutch springs
N to S 45.5mm
T and V 50.2mm
W and X 48.8mm
but if you ask a dealer for heavy duty clutch springs no-one ever asks what model and the common one you get is 50.2mm which from bitter experience locks the clutch solid.
If you had no problems before go back to original setup and out of curiosity measure the lengths it should only be the thickness of the material used that is different. problem must be in the clutch itself.

Tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mistergrumpy

posted on 26/5/11 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Ah that's interesting because off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure that the springs are different lengths. The newer, uprated ones being longer.
welderman

posted on 26/5/11 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
I you want another pair of eyes to look over your car I can come over.

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

mistergrumpy

posted on 26/5/11 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Joe. Much appreciated.
mad-butcher

posted on 27/5/11 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
I'll lay money on it that it's the springs becoming coil bound before they have chance to disengage the clutch and as you're pressing against something that isn't going to give any more something else is going to give, keep us informed please.

tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mistergrumpy

posted on 27/5/11 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
Well I've had a look and there seems to be one or two things but not sure what the principle cause is.
The uprated clutch springs are the same length but notably harder to compress but I can only find 3 of the originals for some reason
Here's a picture of the clutch rod. The notch in the clutch arm ^^ locates beneath the top hat as said and pulls it, which in turn releases the clutch plates.

Now when I looked today I noticed a small burr on the shoulder outlined in red. This must have happened when I originally started this thread as I seem to recall stripping it not long before that run. Anyway it prompted me to look at pictures of replacements to see if I could simply de burr it and I discovered that the end should be square and not have the shoulder that mine has.
A further look compared against the clutch arm has shown that the notch isn't quite wide enough on most of my spares. This would be my fault as instead of buying new ones because I knackered so many I just welded and shaped the notch and I haven't quite got it all an equal width. They need filing more.
I'm wondering if maybe the uprated springs have perhaps added a little more stress onto the clutch rod and caused it to wear prematurely.
So I'm really excited now as I may have finally solved this clutch problem that I've had since building it and typically I can't order the replacement part until Tuesday now and I'm on nights next week. Typical!

mad-butcher

posted on 27/5/11 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Been trying to find an exploded view of a zx9 clutch to try and get an idea how it works, came across this article, http://www.fixya.com/motorcycles/t2629497-kawasaki_ninja_zx9r_clutch_problem

tony

mistergrumpy

posted on 27/5/11 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Yep. Oddly enough that's the post I found and noticed the square section end that set me off looking more.
mad-butcher

posted on 28/5/11 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
Looks like your clutch works the same way as the Blade, are all the plates in correctly the blade has an odd one that goes on first and a shake proof washer, is the bearing in the clutch basket cover in good nick ( the cover that the 6 or 7 springs hold on )

Tony

mistergrumpy

posted on 5/6/11 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
Well. just a quick update. After a week of nights I finally refitted the clutch rod that was worn and put the original springs back on and have just managed to nip out around the block after it started raining last night
The clutch feels solid now, more so than before. I held the clutch in a few times which usually resulted in a graunching noise and nothing.
I've got it in my head now that it was the uprated springs that were causing the issue. I replaced them before I'd fitted the engine or started it and in hindsight should have only done so if the clutch was slipping I think so cheers all for the advice, much appreciated.
Chuffed to bits

Richard Quinn

posted on 5/6/11 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
misterhappy? Nice one!
mad-butcher

posted on 5/6/11 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
Made up for you, love richards comment about Misterhappy Now get out there and enjoy it

Tony

mistergrumpy

posted on 5/6/11 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
Have to admit that I was bobbing myself at the thought of having to push it back again but this time with the rain due. Just felt a lot more engaged. Just have to wait for the weather now
Thanks again all.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.