Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: viento rolling chassis
interestedparty

posted on 19/9/10 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Let me see if I can explain what the problem is (or one of them anyway).

What the op wants to know is why is it so unattractive to the people who know about it so far? and was he ripped off when he bought it (I don't think so personally)

I think it's because if someone buys a standard Viento chassis and starts a conventional build with all the usual Luego and Sierra bits, then they know (or believe anyway) that they will be able to see the project through to a successful conclusion- ie IVA, registration, road, then eventual sale if they need/want to.

With this project, they don't know that. They don't know is the cooling will be adequate, if the brakes will be adequate, if the bodywork will fit the modified chassis, if the engine will pass the IVA emissions or noise tests (can't see any cats, and those silencers look small for the size of the engine.

Even if the engine isn't included, will anything else fit instead?

So, because they don't know this stuff, they are deciding not to take a chance. More experienced builders either already have a kit car, or just don't fancy it,or haven't got any spare cash at the moment, or have the same worries as above.

Ive alredy got a project on the go, or I might be interested, but I would want a super bargain before I would take the chances shown above.

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

bj928

posted on 19/9/10 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
i don't need to sell it, i just don't have the time to finnish it as i am working and living in the states as a truck driver so don't have a home base i could park it at to finnish at my lesure if i shipped it over here, also i can't justify spending to have it finnished as this would add even more money to the 20k plus that i have already spent, it would never be worth its money back even finnished, so i may as well cut my loses now rather than keep spending on it, if i thought i could get close to 20k when finnished i would maybe get it done.
bj928

posted on 19/9/10 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
maybe i'll just use the engine and axle in a sierra so i get some use out of the engine, then if at some point i come back to the uk to live i can get on with it, maybe not use the viper engine, use something a bit more normal.
MakeEverything

posted on 19/9/10 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bj928
maybe i'll just use the engine and axle in a sierra so i get some use out of the engine, then if at some point i come back to the uk to live i can get on with it, maybe not use the viper engine, use something a bit more normal.

As above, still time applies. use the time to work on the Luego?

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

bj928

posted on 19/9/10 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
i don't have enough time in the uk to finnish and IVA the kit, but plenty of time to fit the engine into something that doesn't need IVA crap, engine in sierra will take a weekend, finnishing kit car will take weeks, and i only plan on being in the uk for about a month, i don't want to spend my hole holiday finnishing kit, getting it IVA'd then just park it till i come over again in maybe a year or 2
scootz

posted on 20/9/10 at 06:23 AM Reply With Quote
Going off on a slight tangent here, but I have to ask why would you want to put such an engine into a POS like a Sierra?

It's Evolution Baby!

Danozeman

posted on 20/9/10 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

engine in sierra will take a weekend,

No chance mate. Youl have to cut the bulkhead and beef up the chassis for that.

Id strip it and sell the bits seperate. and sell the chassis and body work as a normal viento with beefed chassis. When the parts are bolted to something unless theyr on the original vehicle the worth of each part is irrelevant.

Was the chassis modified when you bought it from luego or a standard one?? If it was standard then 3k is over the top.

If you wanted to put the engine in something else theres much better vehicles than a sierra. 5 series bmw for eg. Early petrol ones are cheap and i reckon that engine would fit straight in the bay which modified mounts. M5 diff, wire it up and youd be laughing.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

hughpinder

posted on 20/9/10 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
I don't want to be negative, but selling a 'part built' car is always going to realise bad price. People (generally) fit into the category of 1)wanting to build their own thing 2) wanting something they can just drive 3) wanting to build their own car, but to a standard design so they know it will all work together, or 4)happy to finish something someone else has started. Unfortunately 95% of the kit population fits categories 1,2 or 3 above, and the price would have to be really low to attract them. Of the 'kit finishers' they will have to look at what they are saving compared to buying the more standard parts - the really special/expensive parts of your build are probably not worth much to them. You will almost certaily find that you will get the same for your rolling chassis with a more 'standard' diff/brakes/wheels for that model, so I'd be tempted to take those bits off and sell them separately, and fit a cheaper diff and brakes, and sell with 'build' wheels from a scrappy. (wheels especially are a personal choice I think) Then advertise the diff/brakes/wheels separately, probably more suitably on a site geared to cobra replicas or similar.

Just my point of view
Hugh

franky

posted on 20/9/10 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
it seems you'll be better off stripping it down to sell, however how much do you think the wheels/brakes etc are worth?
bj928

posted on 20/9/10 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
i could use a lot of the bits on a sierra rather than sell the, i could fit sierra diff and uprights all round pretty easy, si i think that could be the way to go,

the viper engine will fit in the engine bay of a sierra without cutting bulkhead, already measured, but will have to move the rad forward, can use the kit cars lsd and diff housing from the mustang as well, so i guess i may as well do that, might just keep the chassis if its only worth scap money, then i always have the option of going back to it one day.

NeilP

posted on 20/9/10 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Big John - Wish I could help you mate but I'd have to sell a child (or two)...

Given the anticipation for the car by the industry as a whole (not just us lunatics) isn't it worth spending the time writing the list of things that need to be done to get it finished and get Ben (or whoever) to quote a price to complete and test for you? You then need to take a honest view of the two losses: The 'loss' (if any) of what you could get for the finished car less the money spent so far and the cost to finish versus the loss of what you could get for the bits less the money spent so far.

There's still money out there for exotica as is proved by some of the things that are going off pishton heads at the moment.

Easy for me to say as it's not my money but I do think that you either have to finish it completely (and get it all over PPC mag tearing the tarmac up) or strip back to the components (and accept a probably loss for a modified chassis unless you do refit Sierra running gear).

Aside from that - how's life in the big rig?

Cheers, Neil.

If you pay peanuts...
Mentale, yar? Yar, mentale!
Drive it like you stole it!

bj928

posted on 21/9/10 at 01:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NeilP
Big John - Wish I could help you mate but I'd have to sell a child (or two)...

Given the anticipation for the car by the industry as a whole (not just us lunatics) isn't it worth spending the time writing the list of things that need to be done to get it finished and get Ben (or whoever) to quote a price to complete and test for you? You then need to take a honest view of the two losses: The 'loss' (if any) of what you could get for the finished car less the money spent so far and the cost to finish versus the loss of what you could get for the bits less the money spent so far.

There's still money out there for exotica as is proved by some of the things that are going off pishton heads at the moment.

Easy for me to say as it's not my money but I do think that you either have to finish it completely (and get it all over PPC mag tearing the tarmac up) or strip back to the components (and accept a probably loss for a modified chassis unless you do refit Sierra running gear).

Aside from that - how's life in the big rig?

Cheers, Neil.

life as a proper trucker here in America is great, earning loads of money so the money side of things isn't an issue, i can afford to finnish it, as i earn TAX FREE and have no outgoings exept phone and food, i am going to have to weigh up what to do, might just use engine/box and diff in an old sierra for a bit of fun, then put it all back in the kit, its not a major issue getting engine out or diff, might make life easier for running bake lines and stuff while its out, and do a few other jobs, and not try and finnish it for now, just do a few more bits, it doesn't sound like its worth selling so may as well go for plan B.

simonk

posted on 21/9/10 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
BJ, I've been watching the build thread, and IMHO you've either got to finish it one way or another and sell it at that point (if you want or need to) or to cut your losses now, break it back down and sell the parts individually. Would be a shame but I think it will be the least financially damaging back-out.

I think it deserves to be out there on the road, and if finished properly is unique enough to command a decent price over a 'stock' Viento - if there is such a thing.

Whatever route you choose best of luck with it - for my money it would be a shame to put the bits in a Sierra though.

Cheers
Simon

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.