Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: car or bike engine??????
hughpinder

posted on 13/11/10 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
BEC vs CEC - Id go CEC, unless I was actually racing (rather than doing odd track days.

BEC - say 95kg with reverse. 150-180bhp
CEC - duratec with alternator/starter/instruments/adapter and gearbox/clutch 160kg, 140bhp std, 200bhp without spending a lot, see flak monkeys post for supercharging if you want more.

You save 65 kg with a BEC. However, you must spend to ensure everything is absolutely as light as possible. On a CEC you can build with 'cheap'/normal' weight components and upgrade to lighter components as your wallet refills, as the basic clutch/gearbox etc will be more than ok. Consider all up weight -CEC say 525kg + driver approx 610kg, 680 with the missus in, BEC would probably be 440+driver=545+passenger=615, so really saving about 610/545 = 15% of the 'as driven' weight.

For a BEC, when people say 'if you pop and engine you can just bang another in' - yes its probably light enough to handle on your own, but don't underestimate the work/cost as its unlikely everyting will just fit, unless you get exactly the same model of engine/year etc - exhaust,engine mounts, loom .... all may need altering. And it'll always go wrong at the most embarrasing/inconvenient time and place.

Just my thoughts
Regards
Hugh

jase380

posted on 13/11/10 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
Just to add my thoughts..... bike engine
brookie

posted on 13/11/10 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
i was like u m8 so went out in a car and bike engine one and now got an 919honda blade so for me it was the bec and to me a good starting point for the bec
Dangle_kt

posted on 13/11/10 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
I have a BEC, and being brutally honest about 40% of the time it is a pain in the arse, about 40% of time it is great fun and about 20% of the time it is the best choice I have ever made.

IF you are really interested, go out for a drive in both - but make sure the test drives are comparible for what you will be using the car for and this is important because BEC's can be pretty annoying on straight A roads and motorways (noisey, high revs) so if your ito long tours with the wife then a CEC might be a better (more boring option), if your into going banzai everywhere, then a BEC is perfect.

jase380

posted on 13/11/10 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt
so if your ito long tours with the wife then a CEC might be a better (more boring option)

As in my case the wife hated the car when it had the car engine , now wont even get in it since i put the bike engine in, on the odd occasion she has been in it you cant here her moaning over the engine noise, bec is a win win situation as far as i can see

coyoteboy

posted on 13/11/10 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
The only real benefits from BEC that I can see are the slightly child-like nuttiness that comes frm a 6spd sequential 12+K rev limit and shaving 50-75kg off to aid cornering. And adding a lot of costs. You can more easily and cheaply get a better power-weight ratio from some very easily available, cheap car engines and while the extra 75kg might be noticable I think the ease, lack of problems and lower component stress is going to aid the lack of human stress.
Hellfire

posted on 13/11/10 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
blah, blah.... You can more easily and cheaply get a better power-weight ratio from some very easily available, cheap car engines....... blah.

Such as?......................

Benzine

posted on 13/11/10 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
BEC!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111111111oneoneoneoneoneoneoneonetwothreefourV VI VII VIII IX X!!!!

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
flak monkey

posted on 13/11/10 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
blah, blah.... You can more easily and cheaply get a better power-weight ratio from some very easily available, cheap car engines....... blah.

Such as?......................

Nissan 200 SX engine (C18DET or SR20DET) and gearbox - already configured for RWD. Available tuned, secondhand for peanuts - almost literally.

There are others too.

[Edited on 14/11/10 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.