Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Latest pics
russbost

posted on 25/11/10 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Thanx for that, & quite obviously fair comment, I note that's 1989 legislation, but so far as I can see from the government website is still current.

My recommendation to customers will be will be to position lights at above 500mm. What that reg doesn't make clear is to what point of the lens that is measured - it used to be the "cut off" on the lens, many modern lights don't have this & I seem to remember that for IVA it was the centre of the lens (tho' just had a look & can't find that in the regs) in the absence of a cut off marking. I'm sure a significant no. of vehicles would struggle with that - the aforementioned Lotus 11 (or 23) rep, Lambo Countach & Espada, Lola T70, Porsche 917 reps etc etc, however in the absence of any measuring point being mentioned I would have thought the top of the lens would have to be taken, tho' quite prepared to be proved wrong on that.

I would also point out that as vehicles age & springs settle anything marginal at test will become technically illegal shortly afterwards!

I feel all this really shows is that regulations are a minefield, the truly ridiculous thing being that you can remove the lights completely & be legal!

One thing I would point out tho'is that having had something similar on the road since 2005 I've yet to be stopped - a colleague who also drives the car has been stopped once - all the cop was interested in was "what is it", "what engine's it got" etc etc

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
coyoteboy

posted on 25/11/10 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
You can only have no lights if you're not running it at night. Which makes perfect sense.

You're dancing around the rules though, and when it boils down to it they'll give you the option of a FPN or going to court to defend yourself and they know full well that no sane person would risk hundreds to defend themselves for wanting their lights slightly lower to make their car look pretty. It's just not worth it.

As for cars settling - my 20 year old tin-top is still at original ride height, give or take a few mm, according to the chassis manual. Original springs, though new shocks.

beaver34

posted on 25/11/10 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
looks good, not my cup of tea though,

also his rear tyres are on the wrong way

Gakes

posted on 26/11/10 at 06:28 AM Reply With Quote
Nice build. Please post some pics further away. I would like to see pics of it on the road as well.

BTW.Many supercars just make it through regulations and many even fail thats why you get some homologation companies sorting out these types of issues. I don't think its that cut throat where anyone will die or get seriously injured, its just regulation....and as you said "you can even take off the headlights", but it would then be silly (and DANGEROUS) to drive at night. These cars are uncommon and not in daily use, they are an expression of F U N, makes us feels like kids again

Description
Description

russbost

posted on 26/11/10 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
"also his rear tyres are on the wrong way"

You lot are too observant!!! You're quite right tho' I'll drop him an email to let him know - he'll think I'M very observant!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
coyoteboy

posted on 26/11/10 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
I don't think its that cut throat where anyone will die or get seriously injured, its just regulation....and as you said "you can even take off the headlights", but it would then be silly (and DANGEROUS) to drive at night. These cars are uncommon and not in daily use, they are an expression of F U N, makes us feels like kids again

I don't want to come across toooo seriously here, but headlight position and visibility are pretty important, pretty much a life or death situation if you don't get seen or your vision is compromised. And it would be illegal to drive at night without lights, in the uk obviously. And while your car may be an expression of fun, it still should be safe and legal above creativity. If my kid gets knocked down because someone wanted to put their F1 replicas headlights behind the nosecone low down and made it harder to see than it needed to be I'd be going on a murdering spree.

Gakes

posted on 26/11/10 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

quote: I don't think its that cut throat where anyone will die or get seriously injured, its just regulation....and as you said "you can even take off the headlights", but it would then be silly (and DANGEROUS) to drive at night. These cars are uncommon and not in daily use, they are an expression of F U N, makes us feels like kids again

I don't want to come across toooo seriously here, but headlight position and visibility are pretty important, pretty much a life or death situation if you don't get seen or your vision is compromised. And it would be illegal to drive at night without lights, in the uk obviously. And while your car may be an expression of fun, it still should be safe and legal above creativity. If my kid gets knocked down because someone wanted to put their F1 replicas headlights behind the nosecone low down and made it harder to see than it needed to be I'd be going on a murdering spree.

I mean, if there aren't any headlights its a day driver, ONLY to be enjoyed during the DAY. The cars should definately be SAFE its just that they should be "dressed up" for the occassions they are used for.ie. recreation, daily drivers, etc etc

Description
Description

russbost

posted on 27/11/10 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
Think some people have slightly misunderstood my comment about it being legal to remove headlights, obviously in that situation it is only legal (& sensible) to use the car in daylight hours, what I see as being daft is to specify a headlamp position down to the last mm when such things change constantly (ever seen a smoooth road in the UK!) what would make far more sense would be to specify a separation (important we can tell whether it's got one light or 2) & that it should adequately light a specified area in front of the vehicle, it seems crazy to specify position so demandingly when we don't specify a light intensity or area coverage, so you could have lights at the right position & that would pass IVA, but they could be all but useless in a real life situation.

It's like so much of the test, it simply doesn't make sense & applies meaningless criteria which don't help overall safety at all, I had hoped many of these items would be tidied up when they changed from SVA to IVA, but sadly, not so. Again, please don't misunderstand me, I thiink vehicles should be tested & some criteria should be a lot stricter than they are, but others need to be removed or relaxed if your aim is safety of both owner/user & the general public. All IMHO of course

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.