Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: These snow chains are rubbish.
Dangle_kt

posted on 20/12/10 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
thats brilliant.
02GF74

posted on 20/12/10 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
very good.

I got stuck on M1 for 4 1/2 hours so had plenty time to look round as to which brand of cars were stuckiest the most.

..... and guess what, it was exclusively BMWs and fewer number of Mercs. (there were 4 BMWs abandoned on roadside on my drive in to work today). Clios were flying through that stuff and indeed were Focuses.

Either the luxury German cars are crap for snow - but I've seen where Eagles Dare so I am sure they have snow in Germany - due to low profile tyres, RWD perhaps or it is true what they say that BMW drivers are inepts morons.

I guess they loose traction control if they cannot keep within 4 inches of the car in front.

hughpinder

posted on 20/12/10 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Actually BMW 3 and 5 series cars are available with 4WD. It a 60/40 torque split rear to front. Its called xDrive(same as the X1/X3/X% badged 4x4 models), and makes BMW the biggest supplier of 4 wheel drives saloons/estates (rather than 4x4 style) at something like 25% of the total sales for the 3 and 5 series. They are sold everywhere in europe except the UK. I only found that out because my mrs is due tochange her company car, and I was chatting to one of the german guys that work here, about BMWs crap in snow.... and he told me they have them in Germany. I have spoken to my local dealer who originally denied that there was any such thing, then called back to say there was, but no plans to import to the UK - according to their head office.

Regards
Hugh

chrisxr2

posted on 20/12/10 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
outstanding

outstanding

Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

sergebelg

posted on 20/12/10 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
I have a BMW compact 316ti, with winter tyres, it's ok on the snow...
Ninehigh

posted on 22/12/10 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
quote:
Originally posted by karlak
There was a post on the BMW 1-series forum a while back, that stated a Survey had shown that WELL over 50% of owners were not aware that their car was RWD...

I'm constantly amazed at how little attention most people pay to the oily bits (not on this forum obviuously)

but then I guess most folk only bought the badge, so wouldn't care about anything else

[Edited on 20/12/2010 by mcerd1]

Exactly, why do they need to know the pay people to do that for them. Iirc these people also get a nice phone call to remind them to bring it in

McLannahan

posted on 22/12/10 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hughpinder
Actually BMW 3 and 5 series cars are available with 4WD. It a 60/40 torque split rear to front. Its called xDrive(same as the X1/X3/X% badged 4x4 models), and makes BMW the biggest supplier of 4 wheel drives saloons/estates (rather than 4x4 style) at something like 25% of the total sales for the 3 and 5 series. They are sold everywhere in europe except the UK. I only found that out because my mrs is due tochange her company car, and I was chatting to one of the german guys that work here, about BMWs crap in snow.... and he told me they have them in Germany. I have spoken to my local dealer who originally denied that there was any such thing, then called back to say there was, but no plans to import to the UK - according to their head office.

Regards
Hugh

During the 90's you could get an X series 5 in the UK. Not common but they do/did exist. Shame they didn't sell well but they do crop on on EBay from time to time. In estate and normal saloon too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_5_Series_(E34)#525iX

NigeEss

posted on 22/12/10 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by McLannahan

During the 90's you could get an X series 5 in the UK. Not common but they do/did exist. Shame they didn't sell well but they do crop on on EBay from time to time. In estate and normal saloon too.

There was also a 325ix. Always fancied one.

But not at this price

[Edited on 22/12/10 by NigeEss]

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

mcerd1

posted on 22/12/10 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NigeEss
quote:

I'd settle for a 4x4 one of these as a winter car

or a turbo technics 4x4 one if you want a bit more fun

and if it dies on you then at least you'd have another donor car

-

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 22/12/10 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:

Sell you one low mileage

mcerd1

posted on 23/12/10 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop
quote:
quote:
quote:

Sell you one low mileage

havn't you got that thing stripped down ready to go in your pickup ?

-

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.