Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Driving Advice wanted:- Should I be driving 234 miles in this weather in two days time???
nick205

posted on 20/12/10 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
Provided you have all the provisions you need then travelling with a 9 month baby shouldn't be too bad even if you do get held up for a while. Older kids then absolutely not, they'd drive you insane very quickly if stuck in the car for too long! You also have the benefit of AWD on the Golf which should keep you going further than most.

Alternatively you could just stock up at home, lock the door unplug the landline and make like you went to Edinburgh anyway. If the family come-a-knockin' just hide behind the sofa

blakep82

posted on 20/12/10 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
M6, M74, M8 would be my advice. motorways should be fine,

Really?? I was stuck for FOUR AND A HALF HOURS on the M1 on Saturday.

from what i've seen the motorways are better maintained and gritted than the A roads. came down from glasgow saturday after a heavy snow, M8 was perfectly clear and even dry, as soon as the M8 finished and became the A8 at port glasgow the roads were a disgrace. 2 lanes of slippery slush. the east coast A8 roads to edinburgh, from what i remember (i might be wrong) are single lane, twisty and hilly.
i don't know steves intested route, but i'd stick with motorway as much as possible. my dad's been using the M8 for weeks, and except for the first lot of snow that fell, its been fine

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Steve Hignett

posted on 20/12/10 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
Google says my route is this:-

3.8 miles from my door to the M6
142 miles on the M6
48 miles on the A74(M)
38 miles on the A702/A73
1.9 mile to Hotel

Total 234 Miles @ 4 hrs 17 mins

Canada EH!

posted on 20/12/10 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
Having spent my whole life in a country that has snow all winter, every winter and having travelled 200 miles on most weekends to our cottage for over 25 years I can give you a few hints on what you need (there were 1 then two small children on each trip).

1) this one you don't hear, an old coffee can or similar which can hold a burning candle for warmth. If stuck run the engine no more than 10 min and hour for warmth, make sure the exhasut pipe is clear of snow.

2) a small plastic shovel will dig you out of snow, a good pair of warm gloves or mittens, and warm head gear keep the extremties warm while trying to solve the problem.

3) a nylon tow rope, and know were to afix it if a Rangee should show up.

4) chocolate bars and water (as well as the babies food) some warm tea in a thermos prepared just before leaving.

5) all of this (except the thermos and shovel) can be placed in a small overnight bag or similar and left in the car for the winter.

Hope this helps.

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 20/12/10 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
38 miles on the A702/A73 avoid this part of the route and go all the way to glasgow motherwell then come back on the m8

stevegough

posted on 20/12/10 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
I went Blackpool to London (beckenham) on thursday - 273 miles.

I drove back overnight last night - took 6.5 hours (9:15pm to 3:45am). (patchy freezing fog most of the way, Ice lumps on the M1 close to London - all 3 lanes.

One piece of advice I would like to add to all the other - completely fill your washer bottle with concentrated fluid - not that 'ready mixed' stuff I topped off the bottle with for the return journey - BIG mistake - the jets packed up soon after getting on the M1. - I ended up having to keep stopping to clear the screen / mirrors / etc. The side windows even froze INSIDE the car!

Being able to use your washers is absolutely vital the salt spray covers your windscreen very quickly - and the motorways were almost empty most of the way. (ie you will probably encounter a lot more traffic than I did).

Of course, your car may be fitted with a heated washer bottle, etc?

Good luck!

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

mcerd1

posted on 20/12/10 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop
38 miles on the A702/A73 avoid this part of the route and go all the way to glasgow motherwell then come back on the m8

what he said - it looks like big detour on the map, but its not that much slower

-

scootz

posted on 20/12/10 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Some may even say it's faster!

It's Evolution Baby!

02GF74

posted on 20/12/10 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:
M6, M74, M8 would be my advice. motorways should be fine,

Really?? I was stuck for FOUR AND A HALF HOURS on the M1 on Saturday.

from what i've seen the motorways are better maintained and gritted than the A roads.

that is noramlly the case.

what I reckned happened, one or two lorries got stuck then the traffic stopped, meanwhile snow was falling all the time so was not being "cleared" due to no moving traffic, and it snowballed from there.

if the motorway is jammed, and nothing is moving, how can the ploughs and gritters do their bit?

by all means be prepared and have go - maybe add toilet paper and hand wipes to the list.

[Edited on 20/12/10 by 02GF74]

Steve Hignett

posted on 20/12/10 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Some may even say it's faster!

Once again, thanks to everyone for all the opinions and advice...

Isn't that M8 Glasgow to Edinburgh the road that has been blocked for weeks?

mad4x4

posted on 20/12/10 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett
Google says my route is this:-

3.8 miles from my door to the M6
142 miles on the M6
48 miles on the A74(M)
38 miles on the A702/A73
1.9 mile to Hotel

Total 234 Miles @ 4 hrs 17 mins

I would avoid the A 702 - Far better on the "trunk" roads - A 1 or the A74 (M) and M8. But as said above be well prepared and if it get to bad - Turn Back!. Make sure you have a spade and a 25KG bag of Grit as well and some old carpet. If your well prepared then it shouldn;t be a problem. But a v6 Golf might have been better with snow tyres.

Do you have a mate with a 4x4 you can borrow?

blakep82

posted on 20/12/10 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
the A702 is only a 2 lane road (1 each way) and quite hilly. going up to glasgow and taking the M8 across, as i said before will only add about 15 minutes to the journey time, and is all motorway then, 2 ro 3 lanes each way, easier to pass if anyone has become stuck.
the M8 was closed for about 2 days, but that was when the first lot of snow came as a bit of a surprise

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

keith777

posted on 20/12/10 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
I'd definitely go via M8,a bit longer but a lot safer !
scootz

posted on 21/12/10 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
Hasn't snowed any more up this way, so the roads are pretty much clear at present.

It's Evolution Baby!

Humbug

posted on 21/12/10 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevegough
I went Blackpool to London (beckenham) on thursday - 273 miles.

I drove back overnight last night - took 6.5 hours (9:15pm to 3:45am). (patchy freezing fog most of the way, Ice lumps on the M1 close to London - all 3 lanes.

One piece of advice I would like to add to all the other - completely fill your washer bottle with concentrated fluid - not that 'ready mixed' stuff I topped off the bottle with for the return journey - BIG mistake - the jets packed up soon after getting on the M1. - I ended up having to keep stopping to clear the screen / mirrors / etc. The side windows even froze INSIDE the car!

Being able to use your washers is absolutely vital the salt spray covers your windscreen very quickly - and the motorways were almost empty most of the way. (ie you will probably encounter a lot more traffic than I did).

Of course, your car may be fitted with a heated washer bottle, etc?

Good luck!

Slightly O/T. but how difficult would it be to plumb in a take-off from the engine cooling system and run a pipe (say overflow pipe size) to and round the washer bottle then back into the system? Even if the flow is not huge it would probably warm up enough to melt frozen washer fluid? I s'pose you might still have an issue with the washer jets and tubing, but you could run the pipe (as above) alongside the washer tubing as well as the bottle?

If it worked, it would be relatively locost as well, in the spirit of this forum

ETA You could run it from the heater tubing and even fit a valve so it was not unnecessarily heating the bottle in the summer

[Edited on 21.12.2010 by Humbug]

stevegough

posted on 21/12/10 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Humbug

Slightly O/T. but how difficult would it be to plumb in a take-off from the engine cooling system and run a pipe (say overflow pipe size) to and round the washer bottle then back into the system? Even if the flow is not huge it would probably warm up enough to melt frozen washer fluid? I s'pose you might still have an issue with the washer jets and tubing, but you could run the pipe (as above) alongside the washer tubing as well as the bottle?

If it worked, it would be relatively locost as well, in the spirit of this forum

ETA You could run it from the heater tubing and even fit a valve so it was not unnecessarily heating the bottle in the summer

Yes, sounds easy now after the event! But modifying a locost is straightforward - not so easy to do under a tin-top bonnet - and definitely not easy this weather - can't get it in the garage - full of kit car, trailer and cabin bed project for the grand-daughter!

BTW, I see you aren't far from Beckenham, Humbug!

Sorry about the divert from the thread, Steve H!

Luego Locost C20XE.

Humbug

posted on 21/12/10 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevegough
quote:
Originally posted by Humbug

Yes, sounds easy now after the event! But modifying a locost is straightforward - not so easy to do under a tin-top bonnet - and definitely not easy this weather - can't get it in the garage - full of kit car, trailer and cabin bed project for the grand-daughter!

BTW, I see you aren't far from Beckenham, Humbug!

Sorry about the divert from the thread, Steve H!

I used to live there, in fact

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 21/12/10 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
use this golf ......it comes with a snow plow attached

Steve Hignett

posted on 21/12/10 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
The car is packed!!!

McLannahan

posted on 21/12/10 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
The car is packed!!!

Cheeses. Must have had a big case to pack the car in?

stevegough

posted on 21/12/10 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by McLannahan
quote:
The car is packed!!!

Cheeses. Must have had a big case to pack the car in?

All you need now is to put a stamp on and post it!

Luego Locost C20XE.

scootz

posted on 22/12/10 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
Morning Steve!

Again, no more snow up here, but it's -10 and there's thick freezing-fog. Visibility is down to about 100m out this way.

It's Evolution Baby!

scootz

posted on 22/12/10 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
And right on cue... it's started snowing!

It's Evolution Baby!

stevegough

posted on 22/12/10 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
Bright sunshine in sunny Blackpool today!

Luego Locost C20XE.

mcerd1

posted on 22/12/10 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
And right on cue... it's started snowing!

the roads are still clear out this way though

-

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.