Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: V8 project, what would you do?
bj928

posted on 27/1/11 at 11:56 PM Reply With Quote
Vauxhall Omega is the same chassis as the new camero and the manaro, so would be easy to fit 350 chevy in one of them and have some fun.
Simon

posted on 28/1/11 at 12:08 AM Reply With Quote
Vauxhall Shuvitt, Talbot Sunbeam, Rover P6/SD1, Cortina Mk 3, Granada Mk 1 or 2 etc etc

ATB

Simon

Ninehigh

posted on 28/1/11 at 12:41 AM Reply With Quote
Corsa van

morcus

posted on 28/1/11 at 02:21 AM Reply With Quote
youtube something called, the Volvette.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

speedyxjs

posted on 28/1/11 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
How about someones donor sierra?

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

posted on 28/1/11 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ettore bugatti
A quad cam v8 would be excellent for a MX-5.

I dropped a fag paper in here somewhere. Now where did that go?

Lexus V8
Lexus V8

speedyxjs

posted on 28/1/11 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
^^^ Holy cr*p!

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Wadders

posted on 28/1/11 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
Some good suggestions so far!, shows what a diverse and sick bunch we are`on LB

The Mx5 pic highlights the width issues of quad cam V8's though....wouldnt fancy working on that god knows what he's done with the headers

V8 chainsaw was ace, it actually worked, unlike clarkesons half arsed attempt with the food mixer

Keep em coming

bimbleuk

posted on 28/1/11 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
I was going to mention the issue of fitting quad cam V8s to a lot of cars but the pic below is usually the best way to illustrate. Doesn't stop peeps though of course especially as you have the engine already. I did consider just space framing the car from the firewall forward and might still come back to this one day. No space problems then!

I was looking at RX7s (FB, FC & FD), 924s, 944s & 968s, AE86 Corolla, 200sx, Datsuns etc. Obviously I went for the RX7 due to the availability of the fitting kits for the LSx engines.

bimbleuk

posted on 28/1/11 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
Might be worth mentioning that the RX7s make good choices as the centre line of the rotary is higher than a 4 stroker so the tunnels are especially big and fit the bulky T56 box I've got with room for my hands around it!

The 924, 944 & 968 route means you have the transaxle and just then need to adapt the prop to the engine. For the LS engines you can use parts from the Corvette as it also has a transaxle.

Wadders

posted on 28/1/11 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Mhh interesting stuff, only downside i can see is the weight of the cars listed. Not a problem with the chevy engine i guess
but mines only a baby V8 with limited tuning potential, lighter would be good.

Does anyone have definitive dimensions for a rover V8? i keep finding conflicting numbers on the net. Its really the width across
the widest bit that i'm after (outer bottom edge of cam cover to the opposite cover)

I love the RX7/LS combination btw, it makes perfect sense.

Al.

]Originally posted by bimbleuk
Might be worth mentioning that the RX7s make good choices as the centre line of the rotary is higher than a 4 stroker so the tunnels are especially big and fit the bulky T56 box I've got with room for my hands around it!

The 924, 944 & 968 route means you have the transaxle and just then need to adapt the prop to the engine. For the LS engines you can use parts from the Corvette as it also has a transaxle.

scudderfish

posted on 28/1/11 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
From www.boostperformance.co.uk

The Corvette LS1 engine measures approximately 25.25" long (Rover V8 is 27.5", LS1 overall height is 24-25" (Rover V8 is 25.5" plus the carb and air filter or efi plenum, 29-30" or more), LS1 width across the cylinder heads is 20.5" (Rover V8 is 20". With the T56 6 speed gearbox fitted the LS1 is some 3" shorter than a Rover V8 with a standard 5 speed gearbox. If you wish to purchase a custom hand built, fully blueprinted engine to any specification feel free to call me. We also overhaul and rebuild standard engines with a few miles on them useing approved GM tooling.

scudderfish

posted on 28/1/11 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
I just put a tape measure across mine as best I could (lots of hoses in the way) and came up with about 49cm. However your exhaust manifolds will project beyond this as there ports are very close to the max width.

bimbleuk

posted on 28/1/11 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
Just for reference the basic LS engine is around 180kg but the T56 adds a fairly sinificant 60kg to this. My RX7 is currently 1180 kgs with a potential 100 kgs to remove using lighter panels, glass etc.

My engine was recently dyno'd at 415 BHP but I guess crucially 400 lbs ft of torque. I'm not looking to add much more to that as it's already pretty rapid. From what I've seen it's get quite hard to get a modern monocoque car much below say 900 kgs unless it's quite small/flimsy or partially framed.

scudderfish

posted on 28/1/11 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
A sick part of me is quite tempted to swap the RV8 in my Fury for an LS1

RazMan

posted on 28/1/11 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
A sick part of me is quite tempted to swap the RV8 in my Fury for an LS1

Seems quite a natural thought to me - gwan gwan gwan

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ettore bugatti

posted on 28/1/11 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
What engine are we talking about? BMW 3.0 v8 (M60B30)?
Wadders

posted on 28/1/11 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
It's the 4.2 from a maserati quattroporte

What engine are we talking about? BMW 3.0 v8 (M60B30)?

rusty nuts

posted on 28/1/11 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Reliant Kitten would be a real sleeper.
ettore bugatti

posted on 28/1/11 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
WOW!

With that knowledge I would be tempted to do an Alfa-Romeo 75 or Maserati Biturbo, just to keep it in the family (apperently important for Italians).

Or an Iveco Daily

Wadders

posted on 28/1/11 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
'Iveco Daily' funniest suggestion so far!!

WOW!

With that knowledge I would be tempted to do an Alfa-Romeo 75 or Maserati Biturbo, just to keep it in the family (apperently important for Italians).

Or an Iveco Daily

Kwik

posted on 28/1/11 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
mini pickup? in the rear carrage space

or just a mini? or a mini van? fiat 126 would be cool, reliant kitten, scimitar? maybe a triumph of some sort? or you could go with the executive car look with a massive engine, if yo ucan afford/ find one, didnt lancia make a bmw m5 rival?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ettore bugatti

posted on 29/1/11 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, the Lancia Thema 8.32 with a detuned Ferrari 328 engine (215hp) driving the front wheels. Fast saloon in its day, but nowhere near a M5 or 500E.

Still, it has a great interior and dashboard.

iank

posted on 29/1/11 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kwik
mini pickup? in the rear carrage space

or just a mini? or a mini van? fiat 126 would be cool, reliant kitten, scimitar? maybe a triumph of some sort? or you could go with the executive car look with a massive engine, if yo ucan afford/ find one, didnt lancia make a bmw m5 rival?

Something like this...

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

JoelP

posted on 29/1/11 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
id say a trike myself, or the van. Mind, it wouldnt do your fuel bills much good. But i figure, if you are going to spend a fortune on petrol, you may as well make it tax deductable (and maybe vat too)?

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.