Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Top Gear Racism
scootz

posted on 3/2/11 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Humbug
Just a wee bit off topic, but doesn't "racism" relate to race? Nationality isn't the same as race. If you slag off the French, you may be done for something, but it would be something like xenophobia (unless you were also slagging off French people of a certain race).

True... technically there is only ONE race. The Human Race!

We are then broken down into ethnicities.

It's Evolution Baby!

Ninehigh

posted on 4/2/11 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Quinn
Brought about by a 30 year old Mexican student... I rest my case m'Lud. If she'd been awake and conscientous she would've graduated with the rest of her class when she was 21!

Would help if she was actually studying jewellery design (or maybe something that would get her a job?) instead of watching telly....

I take it when she wins this case (ahem) she's then going to use the winnings to sue half of the US for perpetuating the stereotype (which incidentally hasn't been pulled out of someone's backside)

scootz

posted on 6/2/11 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
Steve Coogan sums it up rather well... Linky

It's Evolution Baby!

flak monkey

posted on 6/2/11 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
Jeez there are some biggoted views on here....

The majority of 'britons' are immigrants at some point in their recent past, certainly in the last 300 years.

Remember that while people are free to move around within the EU you have every right to move to Poland as much as they have the right to move here. And contrary to popular belief they cant just walk in and end up on benefits, thats a story much pulicised by the Daily Mail, but simply isnt true. Trouble is a lot of people believe it and it generates a bad attitude towards migrant workers. The tabloid media have a lot to answer for in the general state and poor attitude of a large majority of the UK population.

What makes me laugh even more is the fact that people say 'I am fed up with this country letting people in and taking our jobs etc etc' closely followed by the statement 'if i get the chance I am leaving to live in france/spain etc etc' oh the irony!

If the UK population werent so lazy there wouldnt be any jobs for those 'damned foreign johnnys' to take. There are plenty of service jobs, farm work etc etc that the brits seem to think is above them. So guess what, other people come in and fill those jobs while unemployment of brits rises.

Around here we have lots of Polish and Lithuanians come over just for the farming season. They come over, earn a damned good wage, then go back home during the winter. Not one farmer I have spoken to can say a bad word about them. They get paid a little more than minimum wage and work at twice as hard as brit farm labourers would for the same money. Sadly thats how it is.

I would wager a large sum of money that the number of UK born citizens on benefits and generally sponging off the system outweighs the number for other EU nationals by at least 500 to 1.

Racist? Not in the slightest. My biggest dislike is normally the UK population, specifically the portion made up of chavs and spongers who live their whole lives off my tax money.

As for foreign students in universities, our uni system would be literally nothing without them. Most come over and pay upwards of £15k per year to study here, and when finished go back to their own country and become successful in their own right. They contribute more to the system in terms of funding than UK students ever will. Funny enough they tend to be the ones etting the best grades too. What does that tell you about their attitude to work?

Anyway rant over, off to decorate....

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

scootz

posted on 6/2/11 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
Well said that man!

It's Evolution Baby!

Richard Quinn

posted on 6/2/11 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey

Ohh, come on! She started it by moaning about TG!
As stated earlier, I am not racist in the slightest. I just take issue with exploitation of the system whether it is by UK "citizens" or foreign nationals. I earn a comfortable salary and pay a large amount of tax. My kids are both working, I visit the doctor on average once per year and even my dentist has now gone private. I also seem to have a "pay as you go" arrangement for any interaction with the Police force!
At least our industry is trying to enforce a fully "cards in" approach where it doesn't matter who you employ providing they are legally entitled to be here and are competent to do the job. However, they must be fully on the books and a proper employee. This is to try to ensure that there is no exploitation and that positions are offered to the most suitable candidate rather than the cheapest.

ETA: Do you reckon anyone checked whether she had a TV licence?

[Edited on 6/2/11 by Richard Quinn]

mistergrumpy

posted on 6/2/11 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
Well said Flak
Confused but excited.

posted on 6/2/11 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Confused but excited.
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
A Mexican student will have paid the uni and absolute fortune to be there!!!

Our uni make more money from selling places to foreigners than practically anything else. Money that the UK tax payer would have had to fund otherwise.

Cheers,
James

and so they fekkin should, the price should include an air fare home too.

So, it's the universities that are to blame for unemployment.
They teach modern technology to 'Third World Nationals' (that's me being PC that is) so that they can start companies in their own country, pay carp wages (ie a fish head) and undercut our manufacturers.
And to think, I have been blaming the banks.

Doh! I forgot to add the smiley face to show this to be taken lightly.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

Richard Quinn

posted on 6/2/11 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
I think quite a bit of this is tongue in cheek
David Jenkins

posted on 6/2/11 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Quinn
quote:

Ohh, come on! She started it by moaning about TG!

Actually... I'm with Flak on this one...

I see a lot of east Europeans at my local station (it's the nearest to Harwich ferry) and I know they've all been working their socks off in fields somewhere in east anglia. Those jobs have been available to british workers - if they'd been willing to do them.

I also read a report in london's Evening Standard last year, where a plumbing company's boss said that he was happy to take east european plumbers - they did a good job, worked all the hours needed, AND got full pay rates equal to whatever the equivalent british worker would have got.

[Edited on 6/2/11 by David Jenkins]

Ninehigh

posted on 6/2/11 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
I hope I speak for everyone on here when I say I find nothing wrong with a little casual racism (these people should go back and watch "Allo Allo", they have a poke at the French, Germans, English and Italians and it's all coming from each other) when in reality there are three kinds of people: Friends (and family), people you don't know and people who need a smack.

I've met people from a whole bunch of nations and if I was to have regular contact with them they'd fall from the middle category to the other two, completely independant of nationality

blakep82

posted on 6/2/11 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Anyway rant over, off to decorate....

i hear the poles are pretty good at that

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Peteff

posted on 6/2/11 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
You wouldn't set an Italian electrician on though would you?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

owelly

posted on 7/2/11 at 12:01 AM Reply With Quote
My views on immigration did a complete u-turn after a visit to Bradford Industrial Museum! I would say it's pronounced 'Bratfut' but that may cause offence so I won't. At the museum there was an exhibition which told the history of the rag trade and how the area was inundated with immigrants. The exhibition contained loads of newspaper cuttings, census data, factory ledgers and more importantly, the jobs that were available to the immigrants. Jobs that the locals were not prepared to do so were happy to let the 'underclass' carry out. The examples that immediately spring to mind were the bus drivers, street cleaners and any work carried out during unsociable hours. The museum put together a good insight to what why and where and opened my eyes.
I still don't like the idea of the Eastern Europeans coming over here to rob me but I'm not entirely happy with locals doing it either.

Top Gear is making these remarks because they like the attention. I watch it because it's funny and I'd like to do a job like thiers. Getting paid for titting about sounds good. A bit like putting a wooly hat wearing old man in a bath on wheels and pushing it down a hill. Or is that a different programme?

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 7/2/11 at 01:13 AM Reply With Quote
Time for the BBC to start trawling Mexican TV archives to see if anybody dared to make a joke about Britons
DarrenW

posted on 7/2/11 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
Fantastic bit of marketing by the beeb. It would have cost mega bucks if they had to pay for all of the free advertising they have had.

MikeRJ

posted on 7/2/11 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
Fantastic bit of marketing by the beeb. It would have cost mega bucks if they had to pay for all of the free advertising they have had.

Very true. I did wonder if Coogan was either doing it as a joke, or just to get himself a bit of exposure as surely he knows that this kind of thing is playing straight into Clarksons hands?

Look like a few other "comedians" have jumped on the bandwagon

[Edited on 7/2/11 by MikeRJ]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.