Poll: Should the west start meddling in Libya [View Results]
no - it is none of their business, other countires brutalise their population but becasue they have no oil the west turn a blind eye
yes

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Should the west start meddling in Libya
BenB

posted on 11/3/11 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashg
forget the invasion, no fly zones. send in a crack team lockup or execute Gaddafi, move on job done.

yes i know its much more complicated than that but my comment goes to show just how much i think about the whole situation

You been watching Chuck Norris movies again

Strontium Dog

posted on 11/3/11 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashg
forget the invasion, no fly zones. send in a crack team lockup or execute Gaddafi, move on job done.

yes i know its much more complicated than that but my comment goes to show just how much i think about the whole situation

[Edited on 11/3/2011 by ashg]

Er, on the other hand it might just work and would cost a lot less than the last two debacles!

Edited to say

Especially if we sent Chuck Norris to do it! Lol

[Edited on 11/3/11 by Strontium Dog]

swanny

posted on 11/3/11 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andi
No.
Its got oil, so has Iraq and oil price has rocketed.
Makes you think, what if we and the US owned all the oil? Maybe we could run the monopoly and
charge what we like as there would be no competition?

Hmmmmmmmmmm!

you mean like opec does?

btw according to the CIA handbook 2009 Libya produces just 2% of global oil.

[Edited on 11/3/11 by swanny]

Ninehigh

posted on 11/3/11 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
How about we go into the Democratic Republic of Congo and wipe out the sort of militia that will rape a 3 year old child as a weapon? Oh no there's no oil... But wait there's a mineral that gets mined there, that's used in every laptop, phone etc... Maybe a cheap ipad is worth it?

David Jenkins

posted on 11/3/11 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
We should be like Sweden - their armed forces exist for 1 reason - to defend their own country. They also happen to be one of the most fearsome and best-equipped armed forces in northern Europe...

whitestu

posted on 11/3/11 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

'... in Britain (where) for 57 years the Queen has been ruling. I have been in the same situation.'

Im sorry, anyone whose that dim shouldnt be allowed that much power.

That's no way to talk about the Queen!

Triton

posted on 12/3/11 at 05:15 AM Reply With Quote
I'm a Royalist and that oik needs a kick in the nose for comparing himself to our Queen

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cliftyhanger

posted on 12/3/11 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
Mr Gaddafi seems to be quite intent on regaining his power, and the way it is going that seems likely. The country will be a nightmare for some time, and to top all that this countries "leaders" have already said far too much. Should have taken the standard "we will watch with interest" stance and not comitted, at least publically, to supporting either side. We really have no right to interfere with our countries squabbles, oil or no oil.
As pointed out elsewhere, we don't seem to mind other atrocities happening, and are prepared to turn a blind eye to things that make vast amounts of money (usually for companies, sod the rest of us) and I am not at all happy about the military being used in MY name for financial gains for multinationals

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 12/3/11 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
I think yes- if the rebels want help.
But not with boots on the ground. Airstrikes and a no fly zone maybe. Even better give them the support they need- help them with intel, give them the weapons they need to fight maybe even training if possible.
They have the will and man power, what they lack is the materiel and training.
After seeing how an unarmed mob managed to overun an army base that had been bombarding a protest with artillery and anti aircraft weapons I have nothing but respect for the rebels.
If we do nothing and Gadaffi wins, everyone loses.

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

Strontium Dog

posted on 12/3/11 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
How about we go into the Democratic Republic of Congo and wipe out the sort of militia that will rape a 3 year old child as a weapon? Oh no there's no oil... But wait there's a mineral that gets mined there, that's used in every laptop, phone etc... Maybe a cheap ipad is worth it?

Even I'd get off my arse and help kick those animals butts. No oil there though so no chance of ever going in and helping all the people living in such fear and suffering!

Ninehigh

posted on 13/3/11 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
We should be like Sweden - their armed forces exist for 1 reason - to defend their own country. They also happen to be one of the most fearsome and best-equipped armed forces in northern Europe...

Yeah because their budget can go on training and cool equipment rather than constantly transporting troops and paying for bullets.

I've always said we should sort our own problems out BEFORE we sort anyone else's.

So we've brought democracy to a previously dictatored state. Great, but I'm still struggling to pay the mortgage.
Even if we do remove a bonkers despot from Lybia, does that mean I can actually leave the car at home because buses run properly?

Call me short sighted but I'd rather know that my son can have a job when he leaves school rather than someone on the other side of the world..

02GF74

posted on 14/3/11 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Badger_McLetcher

hmmm, but who exactly are these rebels?

The Taliban are rebels too and I'm sure they could do with our help to take over Afghansitan..... in fact meddling by the British there (training the Taliban against Russian forces has backfired somewhat).

Cameron is going to end up look pretty stupid once Gadaffi has regain control.... now if Cameroon or his childrem had to go in the front line and fight, I am pretty sure he would not be so gung-ho.

nick205

posted on 14/3/11 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
NO!

Leave them to it and to their oil.

Spend the time, effort and money on freeing ourselves of oil dependance and therefore interest in these countries and other sensitive parts of the world.

scootz

posted on 14/3/11 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Spend the time, effort and money on freeing ourselves of oil dependance and therefore interest in these countries and other sensitive parts of the world.

Some chance! I've been looking into wind-turbine's and it's looking unlikely to happen as a minority of people think they 'spoil the pretty scenery'! Hell, there's even a local action group here who make it their business to attack every wind-turbine planing application as a matter of course!

Don't suppose these same people (and the lame officials who entertain them) will be around to apologise to the generations destined to live on a scorched (or frozen) planet because we didn't take measures soon enough

It's Evolution Baby!

JoelP

posted on 14/3/11 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
go nuclear, ive always said

Japan is currently a great role model for nuclear power IMHO, they had an earthquake 7 times stronger than the plants were designed for, a tsunami that took out several of the safety devices, the associated problems with staffing and fueling the generators, and there has still been no significant leak of radiation, nor will there be even if it all does go tits up. What more can be said?

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Ninehigh

posted on 15/3/11 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
go nuclear, ive always said

Japan is currently a great role model for nuclear power IMHO, they had an earthquake 7 times stronger than the plants were designed for, a tsunami that took out several of the safety devices, the associated problems with staffing and fueling the generators, and there has still been no significant leak of radiation, nor will there be even if it all does go tits up. What more can be said?

Face it if those plants came here they'd fall apart of their own accord.

The past two mornings I've been down New Brighton, and looking out to the sea two things strike me, the wind farm and the low-hanging cloud over Liverpool. Only it's not cloud it's pollution... I'd rather see a wind farm thanks

StevieB

posted on 15/3/11 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:
Originally posted by Badger_McLetcher

The Taliban are rebels too and I'm sure they could do with our help to take over Afghansitan..... in fact meddling by the British there (training the Taliban against Russian forces has backfired somewhat).

A few crossed facts in that one, I'd say.

The Americans supplied the Mujahadeen with weapons (most ntably Stinger missiles) and training to fight against the Russans.

The mistake wasn't in training and arming the Mujahadeen against the Russians, it was the US turning it's back on the country once the Russians bugged out, thus leaving a war ravaged nation to the Taliban for the taking.

02GF74

posted on 16/3/11 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
^^^ quite possibly but my inside sources told me the SAS had trained the Taliban, obviously not all of them .... but nevertheless, the principle remains the same i.e. outsiders messing.

scootz

posted on 16/3/11 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
Why aren't we making noises about Bahrain???

It's Evolution Baby!

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 17/3/11 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StevieB

The Taliban are a completely different situation. TBH arming and training a fanatically religious group is never a good idea at any time.
The rebels in Libya aren't religious nuts, they're just people who have had enough of being shat on from a great height. They're trying to rid themselves of a oppressive and corrupt government, which is something that should be lauded wherever in the world it comes from. If they don't manage to hold then Gaddaffi will have no hesitation in raping, murdering and torturing them well past submission.

Edit: At a guess about Bahrain, because it's not (yet) a fully fledged revolt, just a harsh crack down. Also it took a hell of a long time to do anything about Libya so I wouldn't expect anything yet anyways!

[Edited on 17/3/11 by Badger_McLetcher]

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.