Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cheap powerful engine
DaveFJ

posted on 16/7/04 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scoobyis2cool

Cosworth would be very nice indeed! How much do you think it will cost for a complete installation? How much power are you expecting?

Pete

Err Lots and errr Lots

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

Aston

posted on 17/7/04 at 12:42 AM Reply With Quote
I have considered the SR20DET that all of the 240SX guys love over here in the states. It would be a pretty expensive option. However, factory turbocharging and tons of power make it almost worth it.

The CA18 from the Japanese 180SX is also a good engine.

What about the 4AGE, or 4AGZE? Lots of power, and reasonably cheap. I have no idea what those engines go for over the pond though.

-Aston

85' Dodge Omni GLH
Project Locost

scoobyis2cool

posted on 17/7/04 at 01:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aston
I have considered the SR20DET that all of the 240SX guys love over here in the states. It would be a pretty expensive option. However, factory turbocharging and tons of power make it almost worth it.

Why do you say this would be an expensive option? I was beginning to think it might be fairly cheap - fits into locost chassis without mods, gearbox also fits so no need to a bellhousing to a ford box. you'd need some way to connect it to the diff and obviously an exhaust, but this wouldn't even need a cat.

Maybe I'm missing something here, anyone care to point it out before I end up getting hold of an engine that is going to cost me a fortune?!

Pete

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 17/7/04 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
IIRC the 2 litre engines was found in the newer editions, maybe 97/8ish onwards, hence a more expensive donor.

id go bike myself, bag a zx9 for 500 quite easily. then you have good power and even better weight.

on the plus side you can get crap loads of power out of the sylvia/sx engines.

i am tempted by the idea of turboing a big beamer engine too, i recently read about a 800bhp 'homemade turbo' 3.8 lump. old m5 origin.

scoobyis2cool

posted on 17/7/04 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
Ah yeah sorry, the 2L was in the later models which are fairly expensive but you may be able to get hold of an engine on its own relatively cheaply. The older 1.8 still produces 171bhp and you can get hold of a donor for well under £500 so I'd say that's still a possibility.

WRT bike engines, I'm not sure it's really what I'm after, I want something that will be fairly driveable on the roads and I've heard bike engines cane be a bit of a pain when crawling around town. Also I think there may be a lot more work to do to fit one - making engine frame, new propshaft with adapter, gear lever etc, not sure if my skills (or budget) are quite up to that at the moment. Still, I'm not discounting them yet...

Joel, 800bhp in a locost, are you mad?! Would be intersting to see but pretty difficult to keep in a straight line I'd imagine, and you'd get through tyres at a ridiculous rate! Would still like to see you try though

Pete

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 17/7/04 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
i too would like to see me try, but i suspect it wont happen! the guy who made it was a mad swede, using a truck turbo, in a 3 series chassis. Impressive stuff?! i do like the idea of the 'carb-in-a-box-turbos', so if ever i get bored or see a cheap 535 or m5 etc, i might be tempted. before that, i hope to make a zx9 gokart!

Aston

posted on 18/7/04 at 01:57 AM Reply With Quote
Perhaps not terribly expensive for some. However, for me, a $1200 engine + tranny is expensive. And that typically doesn't include the "bits" you would need to make it actually work.

A full front clip can be had over here for about $2000. Still expensive, but it would come with everything you need.

$1200-$2000 on an engine is a lot of money for me. I think our definitions of the word "expensive" may be slightly differant. If a couple thousand dollars is no big deal for you, then i'd say "Go for it!". An SR20DET Locost would be awesome.

-Aston

quote:
Originally posted by scoobyis2cool
quote:
Originally posted by Aston

Why do you say this would be an expensive option? I was beginning to think it might be fairly cheap - fits into locost chassis without mods, gearbox also fits so no need to a bellhousing to a ford box. you'd need some way to connect it to the diff and obviously an exhaust, but this wouldn't even need a cat.

Maybe I'm missing something here, anyone care to point it out before I end up getting hold of an engine that is going to cost me a fortune?!

Pete

85' Dodge Omni GLH
Project Locost

dave1888

posted on 18/7/04 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
Zetec SE you can pick them up for £350-400. The 1.6 from fiesta/focus year 2000 onwards. Very small and compact I think you could use the original inj system. You need a aftermarket bellhousing £200 but no sump mods required because of it,s size. Check out www.shawspeed.com
Trev Borg

posted on 10/8/04 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
200sx motors in 1.8 Ca18det were upto 1994, from 94 they were the 2.0l SR20det with 205 bhp, still old shape. So a 94 2.0 with nop cat is a good option.

Ally engine instead of steel, loks very promising.

Just saw a nice car for sale complete and mot'd for £1600, so a crashed damaged one would be coming closer to my budget !

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes.

By that time, who cares.

You're a mile away, and you've got his shoes

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.