Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MNR Inboard Front End??
Krismc

posted on 24/4/11 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lotusmadandy
Kris,if you only needed to add say the thickness of a nut
to lengthen the pushrod why not buy a pair of nuts and screw them
onto the rod ends leaving say 20mm thread on the end of the rod end.
Screw the rod end back into the push rod and weld the new nut onto the end
of the pushrod.

That would give you at least another 10mm adjustment for a small outlay.

Andy

Ahh of course!!

Except i need 2 Left hand 1/2 unf nuts, and 2 right hand ones

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

Krismc

posted on 24/4/11 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
Right here goes,

Wishbones are totally level, ive got 105mm clearance at front (measured just after wishbone from body to floor), and 140mm at rear just in front of the rear arch (dont know why but this has increased) so i need to lower the springs at back. MNR quote 25mm differance in height.

The Rosejoints look like this, Dirty mark is where they used to sit..........

and the car looks like this........

[Edited on 24/4/11 by Krismc]

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

lotusmadandy

posted on 24/4/11 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
Mcgill motorsport sell the nuts for a couple of quid mate.

Andy

Krismc

posted on 24/4/11 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lotusmadandy
Mcgill motorsport sell the nuts for a couple of quid mate.

Andy

Brilliant cheers,

RickRick

posted on 24/4/11 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
my cars number 80 somthing, and it was about the time they were having a difference of opinion on the wishbone fittmeant, mine have the pushrod mounting upper most, could be you have the short pushrods for mounting on top, i'd be tempted to flip lower wishbones, i know i've got 100ish mm with nothing like that amount of thread showing
Krismc

posted on 24/4/11 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Mines chassis no 40, wouldn't like too flip wishbones with out speaking to marc first, what lenght are your pushrod threads.

daniel mason

posted on 24/4/11 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
you cant flip the wishbones. there was a post a wile back on here regarding this

Krismc

posted on 25/4/11 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
Had my suspension setup by a fellow 7er today, but before setup we checked over and push rods could do with being longer but are safe enough i recon as they are, but no harm in making them longer- they seem too be missing some of them small top hat spacers (not sure who removed them) so they are not fully fixed properly at present i need to ask MNR if i should fit a bigger bolt to take up slop (unf one as a metric one is fitted and the rosejoints are unf) along with the missing spacer top hats.

As for the rest of the car.... Well..... where do i start.

The front car width is 68 1/4inch, the rear car width is 65 1/2 inch ..... thats a job for another day, i need wind the back right out and back left in a little to stop the crabbing and take spacers out the front wheels and realign arches

Tyre pressure front 40PSi rear 30Psi

on the Front raceleda hubs the rear bearings on both sides had a wrongly located spacer so they where tight but i could move brake disc a fair few mm in every direction, front wheels had 2 degrees off toe out, 1/4 degree of neg camber and 4 degrees of caster, but with the wobbley hub that could move toe and camber out even further - probably why the car wobbled along the road!

Now the bearings sorted and tight, the pushrods still need top hats but dont affect settings, camber 1 1/4 neg on each wheel all round, Even toe in all round, think we finally agreed on some where between 2 and 3 degrees , tyres down too 20Psi all round. ( dont quote me on these settings, i think thats what we did its been a long day)

Car is unbelivably better now, much more control at high speed, less bump steer and doesnt follow every bump on road. the front is over 100mm off the floor and the rear is 130mm so might reduce the ride height a little when i set up rear and then setup too suit.

[Edited on 25/4/11 by Krismc]

blakep82

posted on 25/4/11 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
just a thought, there isn't a chance that your lower wishbones might be able to go on the the other way up is there? putting the push rod mounting on top, and 'raising' it my about 30mm or so?

remember i don't do 7's so i don't know how possible it might be

oops, just saw daniels post

[Edited on 26/4/11 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Frosty

posted on 26/4/11 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
I think I can see the problem. I presume you have some form of height-adjustable coilovers?

If so, my guess is that you have it set to the lowest setting? If you add an inch of preload into the springs (that is, raise the spring platforms by an inch), you'll raise the ride height, which you can then fine-tune with the push rods.

Does the front end of the car look like this?

http://bp3.blogger.com/_lxVDE01wMCw/R-Lwny7kxTI/AAAAAAAAAQI/YxZ_cfvdd3k/s1600-h/c.JPG

Winding an inch of compression on to the springs will do the job nicely in this case.

Windscreen Wipers
Need windscreen wipers for your car? Order from a friendly kit car owner.
Don't pay a garage to do them. You built a car for God's sake - I'm sure you can fit your own wipers!

procomp

posted on 27/4/11 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

Somebody pointed me in this direction as there was reference to the Protechs for the MNR's inboard setup.

Just to let you know that we at procomp have already done this for both the MNR and the MK setup. Prices can be found HERE The kits consist of bespoke valved dampers and springs to suit the applications.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
40inches

posted on 27/4/11 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Krismc

Tyre pressure front 40PSi rear 30Psi

[Edited on 25/4/11 by Krismc]

Really They are hellish high pressures, normal tyre pressures for a 7 are between 16 - 20psi, I would take extra care if it rains

daniel mason

posted on 27/4/11 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
they were high. which is probably part of the reason he was skipping around the bends. but as hes changed them to 20 psi it should improve things
also. have you been driving around with the top of the pushrod not fixed in the mounting bracket? or have the spacers been replaced with washers

Krismc

posted on 27/4/11 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
Yea I think where the top spacers should be where i have washers in them so there's play in push rods, I've emailed mnr to get some spacers if i need them and asked if metric bolt in rocker/pushrod is right, as the push rods are unf. (are they open this week ive had no reply)

And yes I now have 23psi.

[Edited on 27/4/11 by Krismc]

Frosty

posted on 27/4/11 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Krismc
Yea I think where the top spacers should be where i have washers in them so there's play in push rods, I've emailed mnr to get some spacers if i need them and asked if metric bolt in rocker/pushrod is right, as the push rods are unf. (are they open this week ive had no reply)

And yes I now have 23psi.

[Edited on 27/4/11 by Krismc]

Did you check your coilovers to see if they are height adjustable?

Windscreen Wipers
Need windscreen wipers for your car? Order from a friendly kit car owner.
Don't pay a garage to do them. You built a car for God's sake - I'm sure you can fit your own wipers!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.