Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DIY V8 from 2 bike engines
undecided

posted on 30/7/04 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
It will cost you more than 15 grand to make a v8 yourself that works so why bother
JoelP

posted on 30/7/04 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
[chong]

for the ride, man!

[/chong]

tks

posted on 31/7/04 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
Engine building...

I think its possible to do it..

but not in the way you want to

I think you can't put all that power on the normal clutch/gear box.

to make a 8 cylinder i wouldn't place it in V vorm i would just put it in line...

Bike engines are short..soow i think it could fit..

but then you have the problem of the clutch and then the gearbox.

I think the project after allot of money will work..!!

and the car will run but it will no be practical because of the replacement of allot of components or you should also invest moeny in that part...etc...

if you want 2 engines i suggest just put 2 unther the bonnet connect both whit a chain.

double all the things..clutch, gas, gear..

and go in that way.. you could use one way bearings to overcome rotation speed problems.. (if they resist the power..)

TKS

Wadders

posted on 31/7/04 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
Thats it! 2 V-Max engines, joined in line, 280hp and 140ft/lb of torque mmmmmh

i]Originally posted by tks
to make a 8 cylinder i wouldn't place it in V vorm i would just put it in line...

crbrlfrost

posted on 1/8/04 at 03:06 AM Reply With Quote
Wow, definitely surrounded by optimists here aren't we? As we all know most great projects are not about the money but about the journey. Since we're on the Locost forum, it certainly makes no sense to try to dissuade someone from building something. Besides, the primary component that would need to be sent out is the crank. If he could do the block and send it out to be final machined, then build and intake and exhaust, it should be to huge of an issue. Not to belittle thousands of man hours put into a new engine, even using some pre-existing components, but I'd never be the one to knock someone for trying it. Cheers!
NS Dev

posted on 1/8/04 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
why bother joining the engines at the engine? Just jpin the transmissions (after the gearbox). IN autograss where you are all sick of hearing that I race (!!!) They have been doing this for years!!!

Look at Chris Allanson's (Z-Cars) creations, like the twin engine Tiger's and Westfield's he has built, for less than is being talked of for an engine!!!

I don't wholly agree with the idea of an engine foe the front and an engine for the back like his Tiger, but the Westfield used both engines to drive a bespoke transfer box which drove the propshaft and was just rwd.

Loads and loads of twin Hayabusa/ZX9R/ZX12R/GSF1200/GSXR1100 cars in autograss class 10!!!

JoelP

posted on 1/8/04 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
the glory is in the struggle! the whole idea is, IMHO, to make a badass v8 on one crank! linking them end to end may have the same effect but it is definately cheating! If you successfully make one of these real v8s, you would be a workshop hero of the first order.

NS Dev

posted on 1/8/04 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
yes, I know where you are coming from and I agree with that sort of thinking, but the machining required would make the engine more expensive than almost any of the alternatives!

Nive to be able to say " I made that" though!!

stephen_gusterson

posted on 1/8/04 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
why build a V twin for a 3 wheeler when a honda CX500 engine is already that, AND has the convenience of shaft drive......

atb

steve

quote:
Originally posted by paulf
I once considered building a V twin to put in a morgan three wheeler replica and intended to either get the crankcase cast or fabricate it from plate with bolts and dowels.and use 2CV barrels and heads.However never got around to it as I started building a seven instead, maybe it could be my next big project.
Surely it would be easier to make a billet crankcase, it would be stronger lighter and more stable than a welded fabrication .A welded crankase would also have to be very carefully stress relived and machined to avoid distortion, as the tolerances involved are a maximum run out on the main bearing housings of half a thou.
Maybe a primary reduction gear could be used to drive a car gearbox as in bike engines.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by Bob C
For the custom crankcase I planned to fabricate from ally plates tig welded up - there's some history for this approach, in fact TVR used a fabricated crancase in their recent V12.
Plus remember I'm just shooting the breeze for the next couple of years on this - IF it looks practical I'll start building in 2006!
cheers
Bob
PS I still can't see why a normal gearbox should'nt be run at 2x speed - nothing will break, the main worry is lubrication - will all the oil get thrown off????

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 1/8/04 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
refering to the mention of the twin bike enginened tiger i think it was,

does anyone know why the bespoke transfer box costs £2500!

I have seen the pictures

it doesn't look that complicated unless the gears themselves are special?

as usual though i am happy to be proved wrong

P.S.
the idea of mating 2 bike engines into a v8 is a cracking fun idea, why the hell not so what about the expense let the people with the cash have a go !

[Edited on 1/8/04 by liam.mccaffrey]

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

paulf

posted on 1/8/04 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
I never really liked the CX500 and wanted to have an aircooled engine to look more original, I could have used a Motoguzzi ,but the main reason was to make it myself.I would have fitted it to a car gearbox.
Paul
I dont have as easy access to the required machinery now so will probably stick to building model engines.
Paul
quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson
why build a V twin for a 3 wheeler when a honda CX500 engine is already that, AND has the convenience of shaft drive......

atb

steve

quote:
Originally posted by paulf
I once considered building a V twin to put in a morgan three wheeler replica and intended to either get the crankcase cast or fabricate it from plate with bolts and dowels.and use 2CV barrels and heads.However never got around to it as I started building a seven instead, maybe it could be my next big project.
Surely it would be easier to make a billet crankcase, it would be stronger lighter and more stable than a welded fabrication .A welded crankase would also have to be very carefully stress relived and machined to avoid distortion, as the tolerances involved are a maximum run out on the main bearing housings of half a thou.
Maybe a primary reduction gear could be used to drive a car gearbox as in bike engines.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by Bob C
For the custom crankcase I planned to fabricate from ally plates tig welded up - there's some history for this approach, in fact TVR used a fabricated crancase in their recent V12.
Plus remember I'm just shooting the breeze for the next couple of years on this - IF it looks practical I'll start building in 2006!
cheers
Bob
PS I still can't see why a normal gearbox should'nt be run at 2x speed - nothing will break, the main worry is lubrication - will all the oil get thrown off????

bikkel

posted on 2/8/04 at 06:24 AM Reply With Quote
hi

some guy in germany has done it:
look at :

v8 bike engine

thought that some mp3's are on his site

i hope you knowledge of german is good

koen

www.zx12r-indy.tk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Noodle

posted on 2/8/04 at 06:58 AM Reply With Quote
I've mentioned this before, but Hart made a V8 from two FZR1000 Exup motors a few years ago.

They displayed it at one years Autosport show. I know because I won a bag o' crap for being the first person to spot it for what it was.

Never saw it used anywhere though.

Cheers,

Neil.

Your sort make me sick

Bob C

posted on 2/8/04 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
cheers Koen - stacks on that german link (I understand a tiny bit..)
Everyone seems to use yam donors - wonder why..
Bob

locost_bryan

posted on 3/8/04 at 01:01 AM Reply With Quote
If John Britten could build this in his garage 15 years ago http://www.nzedge.com/heroes/britten.html , the world's first carbon-fibre motorcycle with a home-built stressed member V-twin and p*ss all over Ducati at Daytona , then why can't you build your own V-8?

[Edited on 3-8-04 by locost_bryan]

Bryan Miller
Auckland NZ

Bruce McLaren - "Where's my F1 car?"
John Cooper - "In that rack of tubes, son"

crbrlfrost

posted on 3/8/04 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
The yamaha motors are most likely used due to proven performance, the ability to have them in 5 valve if you wish and the center cam drive which makes things a bit more convienent (Don't have to run a chain off both ends of the crank or, alternatively come up with a machining intensive front cam adaptor for one head.) The block and crank are usually enough for people to worry about....not to mention intake, exhaust, ignition.....Cheers!
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.