Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: My Camaro Project
Benzine

posted on 26/9/11 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
Nice project dude ^_^ Good progress on the welding, I'm facing a similar level of rot on my amazon at the mo, feels good when new metal starts getting welded in!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
flak monkey

posted on 26/9/11 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
I considered giving up...but nothing is impossible! Personal challenge now and determined to rescue the car rather than scrapping it. Its only bad in a few places, and then its bad due to small problems not being resolved then turning into bigger ones!

Once all the rust is gone it'll be a good car

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

l0rd

posted on 27/9/11 at 06:43 AM Reply With Quote
I would say

Scrap the chassis. Keep the body panels and start building a new chassis NASCAR like

flak monkey

posted on 27/9/11 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by l0rd
I would say

Scrap the chassis. Keep the body panels and start building a new chassis NASCAR like

Er....yeah, righto...

Sera

flak monkey

posted on 2/10/11 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Haven't managed to get much done this weekend, dont really know whats happened.... Nonetheless managed to start patching up the kick panel area in between helping change the cambelt on the other car. Oh and a mate popped over, which was a nice break from laying in the footwell of the Camaro

Wirebrushed and painted inside with Jotamastic epoxy as recommended. Seems like good stuff. Other than it don't half burn well when you weld near it Smells good too After that started repairing the hinge support plates, inner sill, the pinch weld area at the door opening and a few other time consuming bits

Then welded in a new piece at the bottom, plug welded to all the inner structures and seam welded to the sill.

The rust in the background is the back of the cowl shoulder panel thats coming out soon. Everything thats staying has a good coat of paint.

Just the top pieces to do now, might start on it this week one evening.

[Edited on 2/10/11 by flak monkey]

Sera

matt.c

posted on 24/11/11 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
Any updates mate?

l0rd

posted on 24/11/11 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
can't believe i nearly went through all the posts and looking on the pictures to remind me the progress and look at this

quote:
Originally posted by matt.c
Any updates mate?

flak monkey

posted on 4/12/11 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
Some tardy updates me thinks. Been spending every dry day at the weekends working on this thing. Now at the point where most of the welding at the front end is complete. Warning...this post has lot of photos!

Still loads to do, probably about halfway ther with the shell repairs. Once all the topside stuff is finished I'll be flipping it over on a rotisserie to do the underside properly. Looks bad, but nothing time and patience can't fix. Hopefully its going to be worth it!

Stripped out the interior completely

Took the front end off

Rust repairs to the front of the drivers side sill/cowl area

Picked up a complete GRP and Carbon/Kevlar front end. And yes it has a stupid bonnet scoop and front spoiler
The wings and bumper are GRP and the bonnet and splitter are carbon/kevlar. Cheap as chips

Had some decent rear lights shipped in from Canada. Set about restoring them to their shiney glory. Need to polish the lenses up to finish them off.

New and old

Got some new sheet metal

Found a load of filler and damaged quarter panel

Cut the passenger side sill off to replace complete thing. Thankfully they do factory thickness full replacements

Nice and solid inside, coated it liberally with 2k epoxy paint

New sill ready to go on, also epoxied inside

Just like new

Hoiked out the engine, and stripped the useful bits off before flogging it on...

The joys of working outside in the winter

Pulled out the screen so I could work on the cowl area. Knowing it needed lots of work

Easy to see why it was leaking into the interior. The sad thing is if it had been stopped quickly the damage wouldn't be so major. Nevermind!

The worst bit was the passenger side pillar... yes this has another 6 months MOT left yet!

And thats where I am with the bodywork. Most of the front end is finished now, just need to prep the inside of the cowl for 2k epoxy and seam sealer before fitting the new vent/dash panel.

Oh I got some goodies as well...

Monroe Sensa-trac shocks, Competition Engineering sub frame connectors and some new front calipers

Sera

scootz

posted on 4/12/11 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
You're nuts... but I like it!

It's Evolution Baby!

flak monkey

posted on 4/12/11 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
You're nuts... but I like it!

Thanks on both counts

Sera

l0rd

posted on 4/12/11 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Sometimes you must love the friendly MOT testers
flak monkey

posted on 4/12/11 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah sometime they are handy. Most of the serious stuff wasn't visible to be fair, but its scary what can lurk beneath.

I have a new section of rear frame rail somewhere on a plane over the atlantic at the moment as well....

Sera

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 4/12/11 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Awesome work there flak. Not seen this thread before.

JoelP

posted on 4/12/11 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Hats off, i can only imagine where you get the determination to bother with a project that big. I'd have burnt it in a rage long ago

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

ReMan

posted on 4/12/11 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
Hats off to your perseverence!

I'm sure you keep telling yourself it will be worth it, most would have either scrapped or bodged it by now, which is exctly what you've found so far

Good luck, look forward to seeing it finished.

My bro had one 20 years ago ands that was wors than this one then

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ō≈ōﺣ

locoR1

posted on 4/12/11 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Im going to echo scootz comment You're nuts

Being serious that's a lot of work but looks your getting on top of it, keep up the good work sure it will be a stunner when its finished!

Description
Description
Check out my CB500T Cafe Racer build diary

PSpirine

posted on 4/12/11 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
I'm in complete awe of your dedication. Looks like you're doing a top job of all the fixes! Will be so worth it in the end.

However, I can't help but chuckle thinking back to your post when you just got it when I'm sure you said something along the lines of "pretty solid, no major rust, just a few small bits to sort out!"

flak monkey

posted on 5/12/11 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
I did say that. Lol. Nevermind, it did look solid on initial inspection. 2 people looked all over it before I bought it. But there we go.

Been painting today

2k Jotun Jotamastic, marine grade epoxy mastic paint. Should hold up as its designed for submersion in salt water

Sera

jacko

posted on 5/12/11 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Hi David fantastic work you are a hero taking that on
Have you thought about putting this on Retro Riders they would love this on there
Graham

http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.cgi

[Edited on 5/12/11 by jacko]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
big_wasa

posted on 5/12/11 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Love it.
flak monkey

posted on 6/12/11 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
Today I went around the cowl area with seam sealer. Hopefully I havent missed anywhere, I dont want this thing leaking when I have finished! Then gave it another couple of spray coats of epoxy inside and out. Spraying let me get right into the hinge areas of the cowl as well. So hopefully thats got as much as possible coated.

Also scuffed and sprayed the new cowl panels.

Then started to remove the rear axle. To my suprise everthing came loose without many problems. One clip nut broke, but I had the floor cut away above that anyway.

And the drivers side torque box looks good. Bar needing a coat of paint where I did the repairs a couple of months ago.

Passenger side is good towards the front, which means it will be a little easier to replace the frame rail as I will have a good datum to work to.

Thats all for today. Can't get a lot done in 7 hours of daylight

Sera

flak monkey

posted on 7/12/11 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
Very cold and windy here today. Started off chancing welding the cowl shoulder panel on, but gave up after 10 minutes.

Instead decided to do some work in the garage with the doors firmly shut!

Herb Adams mod on the leaf spring mounts.

The old mounts were a bit manky, covered in the usual 30 years worth of filth and underseal. That said one of the 5/8" bolts holding the mount to the front bush was so loose it came undone with a ratchet and no force at all. The mounts also have about 1/4" sideways play on the crush tubes of the bushes. Will have to make some spacers up to go in there when I reassemble everything.

Just marked out the new holes, and where to cut the top of the mount away to clear the spring eye then sliced it with the trusty angle grinder.

Welded some 1/8" plate over the new holes to add a bit more strength to the bracket. Then gave them a coat of POR15.

Another job done.

This is the gap between the bushing and mount. They were like this fitted to the car...no wonder it handled a bit funny, and it wasnt just down to it having cart springs on the back

Sera

flak monkey

posted on 9/12/11 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
It was 4deg C here today But the weather held out so...

Fitted the new cowl shoulder panel

Painted all the seams inside the cowl again with epoxy (plus I had some mixed up from something else, so figured it can't hurt!)

Then test fitted the cowl panel and marked out the positions for the spot welds. Also checked the fit of the screen and it fits nicely. Then drilled lots of holes in a nice new panel

Then after lots of welding, grinding and swearing (mostly at the welder as it kept unravelling the wire today, I swear it's possessed !) the cowl panel was fitted, seams/joints coated with epoxy and the bare metal etch primed. Tomorrow I'll be going around all the seams with seam sealer so its ready for a top coat. Not sure what I am going to paint it with yet though.

And these are the new heads I picked up yesterday

A quick clean up, and check over then they should be ready to use.

Sera

Confused but excited.

posted on 9/12/11 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
That's going to be one mean machine.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

jeffw

posted on 9/12/11 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
Looks good....but shouldn't you be busy with my Plenum

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.