Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mozilla Firefox
Chris_R

posted on 9/8/04 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
Have 148:13:54 on mine and I'm still stuck for things to listen to.

[Edited on 9/8/04 by Chris_R]

A bit of slapstick never hurt anyone.

http://www.chris.renney.dsl.pipex.com/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 9/8/04 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
wasnt clit eastwood in this movie

He only got the part because I turned it down. A plane controlled by brainwaves was too far fetched. I'm still trying to get my legs to follow orders.

[Edited on 9/8/04 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 4/10/04 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
after using firefox for about a month on one of my pc's - an athlon 1400 with windows me, id say it was pretty buggy.

it crashes out at least once per session and slows up the pc.

its a good alternative against the crap that afflicts IE but it still needs some sorting out.

Also, it complains a bit about plugins that would normally be in IE

atb

steve

Chris_R

posted on 4/10/04 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
I'm using ver 0.9.2 and it's fine on my system (AMD Athlon XP 2000+). The previous version was very buggy though.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 4/10/04 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Updated today

It's now on preview release 1.0. Some of the early extensions don't work with the new release but the browser side is stable.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

craig1410

posted on 4/10/04 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
I've been using it for 6 months and it's been fine, no crashes at all. Currently on version 0.9.3 with no issues other than a slightly slow startup first time it is used.

Cheers,
Craig.

blueshift

posted on 5/10/04 at 12:58 AM Reply With Quote
I use firefox and thunderbird. thunderbird is much like the mozilla email client (surprise surprise). It's straightforward and does what it says on the tin, does proper style quoting (>) and smart word wrapping, all without the gaping security holes of the outlook family.

I find the tabbed browsing very handy for this site. switch it into the mode where middle button opens a new tab in the background (you can switch between background/foreground opening with shift, I found) and go down the main page click click click on all the forums with new messages. then click click click all the new topics, and they all load up in the background and you can trundle through them at leisure. Otherwise I keep forgetting what I've read and what I haven't.

[Edited on 5/10/04 by blueshift]

craig1410

posted on 5/10/04 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
Blueshift,
Yes I downloaded Thunderbird and played with it a little bit but have never got around to copying all my mail across from Outlook Express. I use loads of mail rules and folders to keep everything neat and don't fancy the job of converting much...

However, with the ever present problem of security vulnerabilities with IE and Outlook I think I'll make the break before someone plants a trojan on my system!

By the way, do you know if it is possible to make Firefox load any faster by "pinning" the DLL's or something? That's the only thing that annoys me at present.

Cheers,
Craig.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 5/10/04 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
firefox on my system give several errors - Ive had it only about a month

1. dll errors and jumps out

2. reports not enough memory (256mb installed)

3. refuses to launch at all after dll crashes.

4. long pauses before it wants to recognise a url

sae machine, using IE, has none of these probs....

perhaps I need to try latest vers.

atb

steve

blueshift

posted on 5/10/04 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
By the way, do you know if it is possible to make Firefox load any faster by "pinning" the DLL's or something? That's the only thing that annoys me at present.

Whoo that sounds like some kind of black magic speak. It loads fast on my computer, might just be the spec of my machine.. I vaguely remember some kind of fast start TSR type option when it was installed that I enabled, but that might have been mozilla.

Steve, those problems sound quite weird. I've been using firefox for more than a few months and not had those kind of errors.. maybe something funny going on with your computer, some adware got its claws in messing things up perhaps? Worth trying the latest version of firefox anyway though.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 5/10/04 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
the pc has had a recent total re-install and firefox put on it.

The faults occurred after this. Im pretty sure the pc is clean. I also run norton antivirus

the hd shagged itself previously - IE was used just to download firefox.

atb

steve

blueshift

posted on 5/10/04 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
Curious. what OS do you run? mine's on XP SP1.
stephen_gusterson

posted on 5/10/04 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
windows millenium edition

blueshift

posted on 5/10/04 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
Aaaah everything becomes clear

Windows ME is famed for it's horrid rubbishness. (technical terms you learn if you do a CS degree). Suggest you try 2K or XP, should make computing life in general much more pleasant.

Chris_R

posted on 5/10/04 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
3. refuses to launch at all after dll crashes.

ctrl, alt + del it, go to processes, scroll down the list to firefox, select it then hit the end process button. Should start ok after that.

chrisg

posted on 5/10/04 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
I've heard of these other browsers - but Bill Gates knows where I live!

Don't want a "visit"

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

bob

posted on 5/10/04 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
We call it midnight shopping down here

Not that i've ever done this and wouldnt condone such actions

Chris_R

posted on 5/10/04 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Bob, shouldn't that be in the abandoned car thread.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 5/10/04 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
ive just looked and im running version 1.0. thats as up to date as it gets.

As all the other progs ive run on the three PCs I have access to (1 at work, 2 at home) run fine on ME, there aint no way im changing just for firefox.

I use ME all day at work and crashes are rare.

There is no way im lining gate's pockets with the value of two copies of xp.

atb

steve

craig1410

posted on 5/10/04 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
I'd echo what Blueshift has just said about Windows ME. It is truly aweful even when compared to other Microsoft OS's. Even Microsoft prefer to pretend it doesn't exist!

Blueshift, sorry about the "black magic" speak but I'm an Oracle database developer and "pinning" is what we call it when we hold a program or library in memory rather than have to load it each time. I'm sure you can do something similar with DLL's in Windows and shared libraries in Unix.

Steve, just saw your last posting - I understand how you feel, I try not to line Mr Gates's pockets under any circumstances...

Cheers,
Craig.

[Edited on 5/10/2004 by craig1410]

stephen_gusterson

posted on 5/10/04 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
Generally, Im really late changing OS systems.

Mainly, cos since '95 came out, as far as a user is concerned, they are all the bloody same.

For developers, newer versions probably offer huge extra resources. We do whizzy stuff with it in the products we make at work. But for 98% of average Joe' surfing the net or writing to auntie marge, its all for nowt.

basically the same interface - might be whizzier in the background (embedded stuf) but apart from USB added in 98SE there is nowt different.

Apart from the Fisher PRice look that ME has.

I can say that i havnt really seen any fantastic difference in any version of windows ive used.

You do however get to a point where you are forced to change, cos the hardware you want to use doesnt get supported in the OS you are using.

Im not at that stage.

Xp forces you to register. That means buying software if you cange your hd, or video card,. it cries that it needs re-registering.

why should I move to something thats less flexible?

Microsoft have come out with nothing original worth having since 98SE.

Ok, it might be more whizzy and can play shoot em ups at the speed of light, but im talking serious use here. Give windows more power, and its just gobbled up with hardware that needs more software resources.

Diminishing returns.

Microsoft will replace Xp soon. Will it be any signifcantly better? or just more hyped.

But lets face it, if they dont 'improve' it, will they sell more copies. No. IF windows doesnt 'evolve' microsoft dont make money.

The scary thing is if microsoft says jump, then we jump. there is no other serious mass OS system. MAcs, unix, and similar are minority os.

If microsoft decided that win bollx 2005 had to be operated by your feet, thats what we would have to do. Thats the hold they have.

Upgrade to Xp. not for some time yet....

atb

steve

[Edited on 5/10/04 by stephen_gusterson]

Hellfire

posted on 5/10/04 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
I was VERY sceptical about upgrading too for similar reason as you Steve.

However, I have taken the plunge following advice from my uncle who is a software and systems analyst. I've now go XPSP1 and (touch wood) it truly is good IMHO. It's not once let me down and it is slick and user friendly, starts up in half the time of my laptop with W2000.

If I were you bite the bullet and do it - it is worth it!

Went around Hemel 'Magic' roundabout today - I SURVIVED!!!! What a crazy thing that is!!

stephen_gusterson

posted on 5/10/04 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
ya know, every time I re-install ME i get a video by microsoft telling me how fantastic ME is.

You dont mean to say they lied

and that XP is the perfect os?

so, we had

98se
me
xp

(missed any?)

before Msoft got it right?

give it 18 months and people will be saying what a heap o crap Xp is / was and that you really should use winbollox 2008.

atb

steve

Chris_R

posted on 5/10/04 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
2000 and nt

stephen_gusterson

posted on 5/10/04 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris_R
2000 and nt

didnt include those cos they ran in the same time as 'business' versions.

not of course inc all the service packs for them....

atb

steve

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.