Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Poppies
T66

posted on 12/11/11 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt
was daft to ban the anti poppy group (whatever name they go by).

They were not doing anything violent or terrorist like - therefore the law used doesn't apply.

To restrict the freedom of speech of a group that (whilst doing something very distastful) aren't causing harm or inciting other to, goes against the freedoms that were so hard fought for, and if anything, unfortunatly makes them look more reasonable to impressionable people, and the UK more extreme than it actually is.

[Edited on 12/11/11 by Dangle_kt]

You assume, all accept their behaviour as "distasteful" - Personally I find it downright insulting. and so would a lot of others in GB

The Home secretary has prevented potential disorder by gagging and branding a bunch of extreme idiots, none of whom represent or are supported by moderate muslims.

They have been dealt with, not the end of them no doubt, but the Home secretary has a duty to protect the good public of this country, she has dealt positively with them, at a time of particular sensitivity given the time of year.

Freedom of speech is absolutely the cornerstone of Great Britain, more so than any other country in the world, I have and will listen to anyones point of view if its delivered reasonably, if its done as that extreme group chose to do, and they offend and insult me and my beliefs, I can either fill them in, or hope someone does something about it.

For once the Home secretary has acted on my behalf......

The public order act 1986 deals with offences of using,threatening insulting words and behaviour They were committing offences.

Burning poppies, Union Jacks - is equally as offensive as Koran burning - Both are acts of extremism, not freedom of speech.

We appear to differ, but for once the majority have been supported.

Simon

posted on 12/11/11 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
Excellent. A post to remember the few who gave so much and it turns into a slanging match.

Can I suggest everyone shuts up with their race/religion comments and remembers what the post is about. Start another thread if you want to argue.

monck

posted on 12/11/11 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
What Simon said ^^^
adithorp

posted on 13/11/11 at 12:07 AM Reply With Quote
Something as honarable and dignified as the poppy shouldn't be used to express extremist views by anyone. Please stop doing it Bob.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

mistergrumpy

posted on 13/11/11 at 03:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Stretching laws to ban any group doing something not actually covered by the law

As already stated. Burning poppy wreathes would be seen as S.5 public order. Causing harassment, alarm or distress.

bobinspain

posted on 13/11/11 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp

Point taken. I'll wrap up.

Something as honarable and dignified as the poppy shouldn't be used to express extremist views by anyone. Please stop doing it Bob.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.