Poll: Best Format for Listening to Music... [View Results]
Vinyl
CD
WAV
Other (please state in thread)

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Best Format for Listening to Music...
scudderfish

posted on 23/11/11 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
Makes no difference to me, my ears are f*cked.

foskid

posted on 23/11/11 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
Makes no difference to me, my ears are f*cked.

Same with mine, been hanging around jet engines too long.

But I voted cd for the convenience of it.

He knows nothing and thinks he knows everything. That points clearly to a political career.
George Bernard Shaw

alistairolsen

posted on 23/11/11 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
High quality MP3 for convenience on phones or in the car where the quality isn't so much of an issue (I challenge anyone to pick the difference between CD and MP3 on a decent stereo in a small car.)

CD at home.

I have no time for vinyl whatsoever tbh, sure it's fun and the whole being-a-total-pain-in-the-arse adds some occasion like driving an old car, but on a technical level, no.

Tapes shouldnt still exist, there was little excuse for the quality in 1995 and certainly none now!

My Build Thread

FASTdan

posted on 23/11/11 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alistairolsen

Tapes shouldnt still exist, there was little excuse for the quality in 1995 and certainly none now!

Yep!

IMO minidisc should have been THE format of the 90's, far better/more practical than CD for the average listener. CD's in a car do my head in, too big, too fragile etc. For most of the noughties I had 30+ minidiscs slewing around in a single door pocket in my XR2 (happy days), most without cases. They ALL still play spot on, never had one failure.

Then came the ipod - handy, small etc but remembering to take it with me was half the problem. Now I'm using my HTC phone with straight forward MP3's purely for convenience but it sounds pretty good on the ford/sony system in my mondeo. Still use the ipod for running/cycling but itunes does my head in so it rarely gets updated these days.

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
ken555

posted on 23/11/11 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
twybrow

posted on 23/11/11 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
Define 'best'?! Easiest to plat? Highest audio quality? Most available?

MP3 - very easy to get hold of. Can be ripped onto a CD, or added to your phone/iPod. Quality is more than enough for most people,a nd certainly enough to listen in a car.
CD - I still like them, but they are a pain to store, and they all degrade over time.
Tape - no no no. It wasn't good when it was modern. Now, it is simply awful! What are the redeeming features?!
Vinyl - I like them for mixing, but then modern DJs can dop much the same with MP2 mixers, or CD mixers... Otherwise, I cant see the appeal. They just have more background noise - you can't tell me the recording artist wanted you to really appreciate the background hiss you get?!
Live - yes please, but only when the sound system is good. I saw a well known group play live a few years back, and I walked out half way through, as the audio quality was so poor you could not distinguish the words bing sung!

02GF74

posted on 23/11/11 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
for convenience I have sony player (Atrac format) that fits into a small pocket bit for serious lisening, it is CDs. CDs also for the car, rarely do they jump and not have one trashed by the player.

I have lots of vinyl and should really get the Linn LP12 plugged in, as well as sorting out the arm for the Michel Gyro .............

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.