Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Whats gone wrong here? any ideas?
MikeFellows

posted on 14/1/12 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
the bits look like cutting disks off a dremel
mcramsay

posted on 14/1/12 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
I found these in the sump, once it was removed, I thoroughly checked the sump and cannot find anything these parts would have come from, also the casting marks on the items do look identical to the rough castings on the non polished parts of the zetec head, but I do agree I cannot think how items that large would get down to the sump, I think I will do about more investigating tomorrow and see if I can find the guilty holes. If not I will box up and forget about it until it gets to the point that it is an issue
AndyGT

posted on 14/1/12 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeFellows

+1

Do you have any enemies? People you share a garage with? Now or over the past since you've had the engine?

nothing is impossible
everything is possible

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ashg

posted on 14/1/12 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
thats defo caused by bolts that are too long. i have done exactly the same thing on a fiat block when i was a lot younger. just clean out the sump and check for fragments under the cam cover. it will be totally fine.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

stevec

posted on 14/1/12 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AndyGT
quote:

+1

Do you have any enemies? People you share a garage with? Now or over the past since you've had the engine?

Are you taking the piss?

Steve

NS Dev

posted on 14/1/12 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
Don't know zetec heads very well but it is possible on most heads for bits to get into the crankcase via the head oil drains, which are pretty big. If a bit had popped off in the oilway in the head and got washed down the oil drain with returning oil. I'd look very carefully at the head

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

AndyGT

posted on 15/1/12 at 03:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevec
quote:
Originally posted by AndyGT
quote:

+1

Are you taking the piss?

Steve

No, not taking this piss, just exploring ALL possibilities!! Some people are this nasty.

I mean, I know of a mechanic who once drained the oil out of someones tweeked Subaru in the early hours of the morning just because he "stole his girlfriend". There are some pathetic people out there.

I just hope you haven't permanent damage to your engine!!

nothing is impossible
everything is possible

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
omega 24 v6

posted on 15/1/12 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
Its gotta be bolts to long pushing the casting of into the sump. Again is it alloy or cast iron ( head or block) it looks like iron in the pic and probably from a 6mm bolt scaling it agaianst your finger. ( unless you've got fingers like an ape LOL)

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

rusty nuts

posted on 15/1/12 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
I think the first thing to do is decide what the bits are made from as already suggested. If they are cast iron then they come from the block , if ally from the head. Remove each bolt that you have disturbed one at a time and probe /measure to the bottom of the hole, any that have no bottom are likely to be the home of the bits and can be sorted out accordingly. Has the engine lost any coolant , if not then the cause of the white oil is likely to be condensation or cheap oil.
Peteff

posted on 15/1/12 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
Do any of the manifold studs or bolts break into an oilway in the head ? Take a few out and poke a welding wire down to see how far they go. If the engine runs well I wouldn't be worrying too much about it. You'll get the mayo in any engine that runs for short periods without getting really hot no matter what oil you put in it.

[Edited on 15/1/12 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

omega 24 v6

posted on 15/1/12 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
I'd also say that the bits of metal in the sump have more than likely come from the same area/source.I'd doubt the engine is scrap but I would give everything a good flush out a couple of times for peace of mind.

Paul Turner

posted on 15/1/12 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
No parts in the cylinder head have a dark finish as shown in the photo's, the head is a totally natural alloy finish inside and out. If they are magnetic they are from the cast iron block but internally that has an as cast finish from memory.

My money is still on a couple of bits from elsewhere finding their way in somehow when the sump was off. Still don't think the oil returns are big enough to allow bits that big to get from the cam area into the sump plus they would likely cause cam/follower damage before finding their way down.

mcramsay

posted on 15/1/12 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
the dark finish in the photos is due to the lighting, they are bright alloy, i have run a magnet over the particles and they are not magnetic which points to the cylinder head.

there is no way on earth i fitted the sump with the metal fragments in there already. i spent hours cleaning it, its something i would have instantly seen.

im going to start removing bolts one by one and try to find the offending holes, then i will seal up said holes and box everything back up and run the engine untill it decides its time for a piston to leave the block.

omega 24 v6

posted on 15/1/12 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
Be careful sealing any holes. As said if its into an oilway and you inject sealer/gunk of any kind you may do more damage than good.

mcramsay

posted on 15/1/12 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
well i have found the problem,

Basically its on the top row of exhaust manifold to cylinder head fixing bolts, for what ever reason 3 out of 4 bolts along the top have punctured into the cylinder head. breaking the casting directly aside the valve spring.

basically if you look through the exhaust manifold bolt holes on the cylinder head you can see one of the exhaust valve springs through the holes, on cylinders 2, 3, and 4.

looking in from the other side of the head you can just see behind the valve spring and there is evidence of small chunks of casting missing, although its really really hard to see, but you can just make out some swarf and ragged edges.

the problem i have now is obviously exhaust gases passing into the cylinder head oil system (technically shouldn't happen if the gasket is holding) / oil leaking out the bolts on the exhaust. will normal thread sealant handle exhaust temperatures?

also 3 holes have evidence of the casting breaking off, however i have only found 2 bits of casting?

one last thing, how the hell did the casting chunks manage to get from the cylinder head to the sump without casing damage?

omega 24 v6

posted on 15/1/12 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
well at least you've found the problem and IMHO it's not an engine killer. So studlock the threads of the studs and find that last missing bit ( which may have been removed at the engine build stage mind if it had been seen). On the pluss side if its not floating about the head area then its unlikely to do any damage farther down as it will be on the sump/pickup side which is well enough filtered.

mcramsay

posted on 15/1/12 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
yeah im going to go and have a good look for it now, if its going to be anywhere it might be some where near the oil return, who knows i will spend some time looking. at least i found the issue. made a rubbish weekend a little bit better, at least its not new engine time.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.