Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: am thinking of buying a house which occasionally floods! am i mad?
mds167

posted on 19/1/12 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
1; if i were to tank all the internal ground floor walls up to 1 meter high, and put a couple of 6" steps out of garage into the other ground floor rooms,raising the floor level,would this be adequate for insurance reasons to make the ground floor habitable? and insuring contents

It sounds like the current owners make the best of the situtation currently. By trying to make the lower area habitable you'll increase the risk (and so cost) of any insurance.
It really sounds like the kind of house you buy because you want to live in it, not make a profit on, as others have said.
It is possible to obtain and run two mortgages at the same time in the current climate but take care with ancillary costs running two propoerties. Two sets of council tax (you might get a 6 month discount for an unoccupied property), two water bills, electric, gas. I found it really hard to get buildings only insurance on the unoccupied property ~ very different from a couple of years ago. Insurers now want a minimum security level on the house, weekly inspections (not a problem for you when it's so close) and a minimum temperature so you have to keep the heating on. And you might have to have the insurance as a condition of the mortgage.
One last word of warning, mortgages are quite cheap at the moment but they might not be forever.

oldtimer

posted on 19/1/12 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
You sound enthusiastic, your ability to borrow the money on a flood prone property will be a deciding factor. It is not flood resistant to 5 year events let alone 100 year events.......Cockermouth nearby?!....over 12"of rain there in 24 hours......I once bid in an auction for a cliff edge property in Devon, really cheap and still there 12 years later....
wilkingj

posted on 19/1/12 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
I would NEVER entertain it.

You only need to get flooded out just once, and your insurance costs would rocket. (let alone trying to re-sell it later on) Flooding WILL have an effect on the resale price, and also the desirability for other buyers to buy it in years to come. You are already concerend about this property, and its not even yours (yet). Think what others would be thinking if you owned it and then try to sell it.

Not to mention the heartache and Ballache of having to get the place dried out, sewage removed, replastered, lost personal items that cannot be replaced, and then filled with new carpets, furniture etc. Its rare that the insurance company will stump up for everything you claim for. So you could be out of pocket as well if it floods.

Think long and VERY HARD about this. Its probably the most expensive purchase you will make in your life (a House). Play safe and dont get it wrong.

It wouldnt matter how cheap it was... I would NEVER buy on a flood plain.
Sorry... But Its TOO big a issue to get this wrong.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
daniel mason

posted on 19/1/12 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
Slight confusion in mortgage details. I would be selling my current house and moving into the house mentioned. Not 2 seperate mortgages. Thanks for the comments though.

TheGiantTribble

posted on 19/1/12 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
Ok silly idea time but...
Instead of trying to tide proof the house, could you not creat an embankment type of thingy round the garden to stop the water getting near the house.
Also in terms of how long water damage can last for, property's in Harwich still have problem with where they were flood'd back in the 1950's (or was it 60's) even though they havn't been flood since!
And lastly, just because you are willing to put up with 'a little bit of water' now, how are you going to feel 10 or 20 years down the line, things you happily laugh off when your younger ain't so funny the older you get. Especially if you can't sell the house becuase of the flooding when you are fed up with it.

mds167

posted on 19/1/12 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Slight confusion in mortgage details. I would be selling my current house and moving into the house mentioned. Not 2 seperate mortgages. Thanks for the comments though.

Ah, sorry - was on the bus when I started reading. Still asleep! I'm sure there's a way forward, just do as much research as you can! Good luck!

splitrivet

posted on 19/1/12 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
Some good advice in this video regarding this quandry house buying advice
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

contaminated

posted on 19/1/12 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
Apologies if someone else has already commented as follows - I couldn't be bothered to read all four pages

Is the house actually in a fluvial flood plain? Does the area benefit from flood defences? Have you checked this with the Environment Agency?

If you PM the postcode I'll check for you.

Dan

Tiger Super Six Independent
www.southernkitcars.com

scootz

posted on 19/1/12 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
Yes... you are!

It's Evolution Baby!

RK

posted on 19/1/12 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
One word for you: MOULD not good. Please consider this carefully before you regret it. Insurance is the least of your issues. Those scoundrels try to weasel out of anything, whether you live by a river or not.
daniel mason

posted on 19/1/12 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
spoken with estate agent today, and they say there is no problem with house insurance at all. under £200 per year with boarderway from carlisle. but no contents on ground floor insured for flood damage

Ninehigh

posted on 19/1/12 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Did you ask them about getting some flood prevention in? I'm thinking building up a bank at the end of the garden might well be the easiest

contaminated

posted on 19/1/12 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
I'm thinking building up a bank at the end of the garden might well be the easiest

Which means you use up flood water storage potential and pass the problem down the road. Like I've said, check if it's actually in a flood plain first.

www.southernkitcars.com

wilkingj

posted on 22/1/12 at 01:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
spoken with estate agent today, and they say there is no problem with house insurance at all. under £200 per year with boarderway from carlisle. but no contents on ground floor insured for flood damage

OMG.... And you would ACTUALLY BELIEVE an Estate Agent!!!

The general consensus appears to be DONT Buy it. Just look elsewhere on higher ground.
I am sure the majority of the LCB'er dont want to be saying "We told you so" in a few years time.

Sorry, but I just would not even give it a first thought, let alone a second one.

EDIT:

As an experiment, I would approach several insurance companies and ask for a quote. Even if its from an online one! Might be worth a try.

As said, I would never trust a salesman where this kind of money is being spent. You cannot afford to make a single mistake on those levels of finance.
Sorry to bang on about it.

[Edited on 22/1/2012 by wilkingj]

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jeffw

posted on 22/1/12 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
Your Estate Agent is right....until 2013 currently

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/blog/2011/dec/19/insurers-deplore-lack-progress-flood-insurance

BryanC

posted on 22/1/12 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
I once designed a block of apartments at the side of a river. My client was told that the Planning Application was opposed by the River Authority so before the Council met, he arranged a presentation to locals including councillers at a local hotel with nice pictures and wine / cheese and crackers, and some polite conversation. The site was in a prominent position and was prior to development an eye-sore. The Planning Committee met, the advice of the River Authority was ignored and the scheme went ahead.
A condition was that the floor level should be 600mm above the 20 year flood line which coincided with the 100 year flood prediction.
Having got Planning Approval my job was done.
Several months later I got a phone call to say the foundations were being dug and after rain was already in flood. Work was suspended till it dried out.
About a year later, severe floods hit the country with pictures in the paper of typical flood stories, and there was a picture of my design with the Fire Brigade helping residents out of their apartments by rubber boat cos they were cut off. The 100 year flood line as predicted occurred that year.
The River Authority had warned that as various towns got larger and more areas got paved over, the ground could not absorb the rain and so water courses flooded. It would only get worse.
The point is :
- Dont risk it not happening cos it will, and it will get worse.
The NRA did have guidance on protecting properties with removable boards to go across doorways, etc which might be worth reading, but you now have the facts. Its upto you to consider the risk.
I've registered on this site just to make this point.

[Edited on 22/1/12 by BryanC]

Krismc

posted on 22/1/12 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

3; what tanking systems work best to prevent water penetrating?

If you serious about water tanking i know a guy from the company who sealed the new tyne tunnel when it started to leak, they have a mobile injection machine and tank for me all the time as i dig bore holes. never had a single leak

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

cliftyhanger

posted on 22/1/12 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
the thing is that the ground floor floors are all concrete and walls are all stone. so there is no wood to rot or smell etc, no carpets down. living area is on 1st and second floor and i cant imagine 3-4 hours of 6"-12" flood water every 3-4 years causing too many problems! other than insurance and mortgage.
if there was no 2nd floor,or groung floor was lived in,it would be a definate no go but in this instance i dont think its too bad!

Concrete and stone won't rot, but they are absorbent (of, not stone, but the mortar joints) and they will soak the water up, and they will smell. And take ages to dry. I think masonry takes a month for every inch to dry.
And don't underestimate the hassle of even small floods. If you car is parked there, it may get written off, anything wet may well need to be thrown away.

For all the potential grief, it really isn't worth it.

Krismc

posted on 22/1/12 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
quote:
the thing is that the ground floor floors are all concrete and walls are all stone. so there is no wood to rot or smell etc, no carpets down. living area is on 1st and second floor and i cant imagine 3-4 hours of 6"-12" flood water every 3-4 years causing too many problems! other than insurance and mortgage.
if there was no 2nd floor,or groung floor was lived in,it would be a definate no go but in this instance i dont think its too bad!

Concrete and stone won't rot, but they are absorbent (of, not stone, but the mortar joints) and they will soak the water up, and they will smell. And take ages to dry. I think masonry takes a month for every inch to dry.
And don't underestimate the hassle of even small floods. If you car is parked there, it may get written off, anything wet may well need to be thrown away.

For all the potential grief, it really isn't worth it.

I thought it was a inch a year lol ...pesimist

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

MakeEverything

posted on 22/1/12 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
Yes

You're mad

Insurance companies won't touch you with each other's! (going on what I've heard after every flood anyway)

That's wrong. We found out that the house we were buying had been underpinned after being committed to the purchase which would have cost us about 2k to pull out. After some research, it turns out that the existing insurer is obliged to insure the property with its problems whilst it is standing.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

MakeEverything

posted on 22/1/12 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
If it were me and I had my heart set on buying, I would look at flood defense or even a sump pump of some description. Just to keep the water out of the buildings, rather than stop the flood. Could be costly though, and e size of pumps required could require three phases.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

daniel mason

posted on 23/1/12 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
i have now been in contact with insurance and current owner just to try and get some answers. it appears that the property has only been flooded once in the last 20 years due to a massive tide and bad flooding,which resulted in a damaged washing machine which was on the ground floor.
insurance covers building and all contents including ground floor for under £200. and some flood defenses have apparrently been installd to stop water getting into the garage.( i have not seen what these are yet)
think i might go and check it all over with a good builder friend of mine who actually lives in the house i mentioned previously about 30-40 yards away!
my main concern is any potential damage which could have already occured to the property in previous years as i would be tanking out all walls and floors on ground floor and use it as a gym and store for my trailer.
itt never ever floods from localised flooding as its location is good in that respect,even the largest fo floods can not raise the river level even close enough to overflow. the problem is when freak tides occur at the same time.
i think i should go and check the property properly and look at flood defenses

contaminated

posted on 24/1/12 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
i have now been in contact with insurance and current owner just to try and get some answers. it appears that the property has only been flooded once in the last 20 years due to a massive tide and bad flooding,which resulted in a damaged washing machine which was on the ground floor.
insurance covers building and all contents including ground floor for under £200. and some flood defenses have apparrently been installd to stop water getting into the garage.( i have not seen what these are yet)
think i might go and check it all over with a good builder friend of mine who actually lives in the house i mentioned previously about 30-40 yards away!
my main concern is any potential damage which could have already occured to the property in previous years as i would be tanking out all walls and floors on ground floor and use it as a gym and store for my trailer.
itt never ever floods from localised flooding as its location is good in that respect,even the largest fo floods can not raise the river level even close enough to overflow. the problem is when freak tides occur at the same time.

Start by putting the postcode in here.

http://maps.environment-agency.gov.uk/wiyby/wiybyController?x=531500.0&y=181500.0&topic=floodmap&ep=map&scale=3&location=London,%2 0City%20of%20London&lang=_e&layerGroups=default&textonly=off#x=531500&y=208019&lg=1,&scale=3

www.southernkitcars.com

contaminated

posted on 24/1/12 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by contaminated
quote:

Start by putting the postcode in here.

http://maps.environment-agency.gov.uk/wiyby/wiybyController?x=531500.0&y=181500.0&topic=floodmap&ep=map&scale=3&location=London,%2 0City%20of%20London&lang=_e&layerGroups=default&textonly=off#x=531500&y=208019&lg=1,&scale=3

Edit - cut and paste the link, clicking on it doesn't work.

www.southernkitcars.com

MakeEverything

posted on 29/1/12 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
This Link Does though...

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.