Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Range Rovers
jeffw

posted on 16/5/12 at 04:54 AM Reply With Quote
It has been on the rollers at MRC Tuning who did the custom map. I've also had it on the rollers at Surrey Rolling Road where is made the same figures. Mihnea (the main map guy) says he can get 320-340 BHP out of these engines if they are autos but the manual (which mine is) can't cope with the increase torque on the clutch. Apparently the A4 version is the best one to go for on power. MRC did my S4 & RS4 maps/upgrades.

Mine was a custom map which I've had for 2.5 years/40000 miles. It also has had a Audi Music Interface fitted (with a 500Gb USB HD) and the bluetooth module on the MMI to replace the phone prep. It had 19" split rim wheels.

[Edited on 16/5/12 by jeffw]

mcerd1

posted on 16/5/12 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AllWeatherDan
Although I have to say I did go back to a D2 from a D3.
Once it was fully poly bushed etc its now amazing on and off road and towing.

I know more and more switching to troopers, but I suspect that could be a bit crude for jeffw...

-

DM

posted on 23/5/12 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
I've taken a fancy to the Range Rover

V8 petrol - go for it!

thinking of doing the same myself

Arthur C. Clarke; Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

nick205

posted on 23/5/12 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Can't see it myself. Unless you actually need serious off-road 4x4 capability an Audi quattro will tow as well if not better, be nicer to drive, cheaper to run and a better all rounder than a Range Rover or most other 4x4s.

The 4x4s I've had the (dis)pleasure of driving (Shogun, Trooper, Merc ML, Disco 2 and Defender) are all abysmal to drive anywhere other than in the woods. I haven't driven a Range Rover of any vintage, so may be wrong on that specific wallow wagon, but still can't see the attraction.

Ninehigh

posted on 24/5/12 at 06:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DM
quote:

V8 petrol - go for it!

Just inherited shares in BP?

David Jenkins

posted on 24/5/12 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Can't see it myself. Unless you actually need serious off-road 4x4 capability an Audi quattro will tow as well if not better, be nicer to drive, cheaper to run and a better all rounder than a Range Rover or most other 4x4s.

The 4x4s I've had the (dis)pleasure of driving (Shogun, Trooper, Merc ML, Disco 2 and Defender) are all abysmal to drive anywhere other than in the woods. I haven't driven a Range Rover of any vintage, so may be wrong on that specific wallow wagon, but still can't see the attraction.

Round my neck of the woods these vehicles have difficulty staying on their own side of the road...
...doesn't prevent them driving too fast though.

(And no, I don't hate 4x4s, except when they're driven by half-wits who don't know how wide they are so stay 1 metre away from their own side of the road. Or by mummies to take their little darlings to school. Or by drivers who insist on driving them as though they are in an ordinary saloon, instead of a glorified van).

I still remember one occasion when a range rover driver swerved to avoid a 6" deep puddle, nearly taking me off the road...

[Edited on 24/5/12 by David Jenkins]

jeffw

posted on 24/5/12 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
quote:
Originally posted by DM
quote:

V8 petrol - go for it!

Just inherited shares in BP?

He just doesn't go very far

DM

posted on 24/5/12 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
>He just doesn't go very far
Yep. Exactly! Im fortunate enough to do so few miles I wouldn’t recoup the higher used prices of the diesels vs the petrols. Given my low mileage and preference to drive something I desire rather than something purely practical, a full-fat RR makes sense for me.

Compared to their showroom prices (which, yes, do have the comfort of a warranty!) I still see a lot value in accepting high running costs on a substantially depreciated car that is still *special* enough to make me feel good when using it. Feel good factor is of course subjective and it's an unnecessary expense, but each to their own... I did the same with a 4.2 pertol A8 and enjoyed (almost) every moment.

Arthur C. Clarke; Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

lsdweb

posted on 24/5/12 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
I have an S6 (2010) and it's a superb tow car although you do tend to forget you're towing!

It's reasonably quick for a 2 tonne car too :-)

I had a 3l TDi Quattro A4 a few years ago and that was excellent too. I could be tempted by a Toureg next time but really can't see what would pull me away from Audi.

W

nick205

posted on 25/5/12 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lsdweb
I have an S6 (2010) and it's a superb tow car although you do tend to forget you're towing!

It's reasonably quick for a 2 tonne car too :-)

I had a 3l TDi Quattro A4 a few years ago and that was excellent too. I could be tempted by a Toureg next time but really can't see what would pull me away from Audi.

W

Exactly my point and when you're not towing you're driving a normal, comfortable, road car, not a wallow wagon.

perksy

posted on 25/5/12 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
Had a go in this thing a few weeks back
90k when new, fully spec'd and even had a heated steering wheel
I couldn't get over how well it went and handled for such a big car (V6 Turbo Diesel)

If i could afford to run one, i'd have one in a heart beat

Really impressed by it

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.