Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: The stress of building a kit car...
bobinspain

posted on 30/6/12 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
i hope the cradle is out,becausus handling er if its chassis which is not square your gonna have some serious handling issues

"It is are not raining here also." (Tony Hancock------'The Radio Ham'

omega 24 v6

posted on 30/6/12 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
Interesting thread in as much as yes the supplier ( who is a regular on here ) should be refunding you, but as yet he hasn't replied on here at all. ??
I doubt the chassis is out, as, looking at the pictures, the casing on the box/engine is way out from the mounting boss.
You need to get a refund OR a properly fitting/ welded cradle.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

Dangle_kt

posted on 30/6/12 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
The point of this guys thread is the stress. Complaining and trying to practically beg for a refund IS stressful.

If you can avoid it and have the skills then doing it himself might feel like a better option to him.

jabbahutt

posted on 4/7/12 at 07:07 AM Reply With Quote
I see what you're getting at Dangle but on the flip side, Firstly the nagging stress that you paid for something that is wrong would slowly drive me mad and secondly if MK aren't notified and sort this out countless others are also going to experience this stress and might not have the skills to rectifiy it.
Davegtst

posted on 4/7/12 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
Trust me MK have been notified and seem to have done absolutly nothing about it.
stevegough

posted on 4/7/12 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davegtst
Trust me MK have been notified and seem to have done absolutly nothing about it.

That is a dreadful shame. Aftersales service is something (a lot, but not all of) British companies are pretty bad at.

If the OP can confirm that MK are basically telling him to 'get lost' then I think we as a group ought to totally boycott MK.

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

Twin40

posted on 4/7/12 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
Woah calm down! I posted this up just to share my problems with like minded people for a bit of support - not boycott a manufacturer!

I have not spoken with MK, and i'm sure if i had done I may have been able to source a replacement engine cradle. Its my choice to fabricate my own, purely down to being a fussy git and wanting to get the car built asap.

Obviously i'm not the first person to have issue's with the MK builds, many here have had varying problems. As a 'newbie' i don't know if its just part of building a kit car, but hopefully these forums will help others watch out for potential problems before they get to far with their own builds.

cheers

C.

jabbahutt

posted on 4/7/12 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
I admire your extremely chilled attitude, I wish I possessed a similar mins set. I still feel though that MK should be made aware of your problem as others further doewn the line may not have your skills and abilities to fabricate items that should of been correct in the first place.
stevegough

posted on 4/7/12 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Twin40
Woah calm down! I posted this up just to share my problems with like minded people for a bit of support - not boycott a manufacturer!

I have not spoken with MK, and i'm sure if i had done I may have been able to source a replacement engine cradle. Its my choice to fabricate my own, purely down to being a fussy git and wanting to get the car built asap.

Obviously i'm not the first person to have issue's with the MK builds, many here have had varying problems. As a 'newbie' i don't know if its just part of building a kit car, but hopefully these forums will help others watch out for potential problems before they get to far with their own builds.

cheers

C.

Leave us alone! We are endeavoring to have group therapy here, sharing your stress, soothing the waters.....a serene sunset scene with the lone call of an Owl hooting in the wilderness.....

Luego Locost C20XE.

Twin40

posted on 4/7/12 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote

fimi7

posted on 8/7/12 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
I hit the exact same problem with my sump. I eventually used the same cradle, just moved it about 1 inch to the right. I also raised it about 1/4 inch so I could run a flat bottom.

Keep in this affects several things. My exhaust is now very close to the body and the shift cable never lined up right again.

For this specific problem you really cannot blame MK. Come on... You buy a kit to use standard engine parts then swap them out for aftermarket, with a drain in a completely different location and it does not fit and you want to blame the manufacturer? really... Wow

--- Ali

Twin40

posted on 9/7/12 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fimi7
I hit the exact same problem with my sump. I eventually used the same cradle, just moved it about 1 inch to the right. I also raised it about 1/4 inch so I could run a flat bottom.

Keep in this affects several things. My exhaust is now very close to the body and the shift cable never lined up right again.

For this specific problem you really cannot blame MK. Come on... You buy a kit to use standard engine parts then swap them out for aftermarket, with a drain in a completely different location and it does not fit and you want to blame the manufacturer? really... Wow

Kimi, I totally agree with you regarding the sump - MK didn't know i was going to run that - and i never specifically blamed the manufacturer, i was highlighting the difficulties i've experienced when building a kit car.

And i'm well down the line now with the "new" version and will post up some pics when done.

Cheers

C.

MakeEverything

posted on 9/7/12 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fimi7

Dont they sell the sump kit though?

The exhaust being close to the body seems common also, which suggests a design flaw or as previously posted by someone on this thread, the Jigs are wrong.

But, i suppose that'll t'do for some.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

bobinspain

posted on 9/7/12 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
The exhaust being close to the body seems common also, which suggests a design flaw or as previously posted by someone on this thread, the Jigs are wrong.

But, i suppose that'll t'do for some.

I took a Dremel to the side panel around the exhaust manifold after a run out when I noticed melted fibreglass dribbling down the panel. 20 minute job, but really awkward to get at. I now have a minimum of 5mm clearance around the underside of the manifold. It's such a socking great hole for the manifold anyway, might as well oik off an extra cm where the bottom of the manifold exits the car and guarantee clearance.

MakeEverything

posted on 9/7/12 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
So not only should a hammer and crowbar be included in a kit, but a hacksaw / dremel too?

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Confused but excited.

posted on 9/7/12 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
Re; 'Stress'.
I have found over the years that it is better not to get wound-up, but to look calmly upon things that go wrong as a challenge.
As far as 'Stress' goes, it is much better to give than to receive, so this is what I now do.
I let the other side have all the stress.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

Custardpants

posted on 13/7/12 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
As far as I know MK now sell the SBD dry sump despite being well aware that a busa engine with one attached clashes with their placement of chassis rail - mine was exactly the same.

In the end I modified the rail itself rather than move the engine. Your weld quality on your engine cradle is far worse than my own MK one - looks crap really, I'd get it re-done, probably not by MK but by a proper welder unless you're local..

It suprised me as my roll cage welds by MK were very good.

[Edited on 13/7/12 by Custardpants]

jakeob

posted on 14/7/12 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
I can sympathise totally with the stress building/working on your own car

I,ve just completed a drum to disk conversion, what i thought was going to be straight forward. Turned out to be a bugger of a job. Although in the end i managed it, the stress of trying to sort it out , for me out weighed to satisfaction of doing it myself.

I have just had the car picked up by MK whos fitting a new body and a roll cage, then the cars going to York to have a new engine fitted where i will pick it hopfully all done. I was going to do it myself but just dont want the hassel.

stevegough

posted on 14/7/12 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
Although I can understand how you can have one of those days when nothing goes right, and every small thing seems to be an uphill struggle, I found going in the garage for months on end building the car to be actually very enjoyable and theraputic.

I know for a fact that it did help that I always had plenty of time on my hands - courtesy of the great shft system I work (4 on 6 off).

Luego Locost C20XE.

SCAR

posted on 15/7/12 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
STRESS! STRESS! dont tell me about stress!
Try building a car with no manuel and upto 15 twelve to seventeen year olds in tow.
oh the blood!
isn't even my car at the end

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

Actually its not too bad provided you stay completely chilled and keep things in perspective

No body died (so far) and everything done once can be re done and its (supposed to be) an interesting and enjoyable project.
Anybody local is welcome to pop in and see what we are doing during our Saturday morning car building club.
If anyone has any donations by way of unwanted materials, engines (lawn mower, scooter etc), tools or even money they would be gratefully received and will go towards teaching our youngsters the benefits of DIY mechanics or completing our build
Cheers all
Steve P
Team SCAR

[Edited on 15/7/12 by SCAR]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.