Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Westy Just Wont Start!
britishtrident

posted on 30/10/12 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Please read this carefully and take from a thread the advice what you may not want to hear.

I'll put it in very simple terms your engine is trying to run backwards ! because it has way too much ignition advance at cranking RPM.

Also the current the starter took in a bench test is nothing to do with the current it draws under the load trying to start the engine under normal conditions never mind the massive current the starter will draw fighting an engine that is trying to run backwards.

So you want to stick in a massive battery something like a type 096 that would be more at home in a 3 litre diesel, it may well a enough ummph to fight the kick back and get it started but you are lugging around an extra massive weight. So how come there are guys on the forum running Zetecs with tiny 14ah motorcycle batteries ?

If there was anything wrong with your battery it would have shown up under test, volts drop tests on batteries measure the voltage a battery produces under a massive current load, nearly three times what would be demanded by a 2 lite petrol engine during a cold start in current weather conditions.

As for your "tuners" do they not posses a a volt meter and timing light to run very basic tests ? A simple cranking voltage test with the ignition disconnected would tell a lot as would checking the ignition timing at cranking speed.

[Edited on 30/10/12 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

lordbenny

posted on 30/10/12 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
I think that my crap Mini/Austin/British Leyland battery just isnt man enough, I am no expert by any means but my cheap battery cold cranks 300amps and a standard Mondeo battery cranks at least 450. Im wasnt thinking of getting something too massive, just the right tool for the job!
BaileyPerformance

posted on 31/10/12 at 12:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lordbenny
I think that my crap Mini/Austin/British Leyland battery just isnt man enough, I am no expert by any means but my cheap battery cold cranks 300amps and a standard Mondeo battery cranks at least 450. Im wasnt thinking of getting something too massive, just the right tool for the job!

I would say unless your battery is known to be faulty its not that! just think about it, your engine should start in sub zero temps, even with a battery that's no fully charged.

You said a couple of time "its just been tuned", well, to be fair the dyno operator who tuned you engine (when warm) for maximum power - this has nothing at all to do with how it starts - you need to chk the cranking timing settings within megajolt, this WILL NOT EFFECT your dyno tune!

A zetec will start off a 45AH 200A battery no problem, even if its not fully charged, this is fact ;-) a bigger battery may well fix your problem, until cold weather!

Cheers Dale www.baileyperformance.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 31/10/12 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
are you using megajolt?

if so, just disconnect the MJ and it'll go into limp home mode. If it starts in LHM, then its the ignition advance.

My mini is a pig to start due to this sometimes.

Or, try removing the battery completely and jumping it. If it starts ok, its the battery. Is all wiring to and from the battery ok? correct grade, well crimped etc? no issues with impedance?

EDIT:- just saw no MJ. What ignition are you using?

[Edited on 31/10/12 by Norfolkluegojnr]

britishtrident

posted on 31/10/12 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
These are real figures measured by myself a few months back.
In moderate weather a normal modern high compression 1.4K litre engine in a Metro draws a bit over 70 amps from a 45ah type 063 battery at 11 volts.
A 1.8 Rover K engine with a massive type 096 battery draws just under 80 amps at 12 volts.
In sub-zero weather obvious current drawn increases and the voltage the battery can produce drops.

A standard high discharge battery tester draws about 200 amps and to pass the test the battery must produce 9v the size of the battery in both CCA and AH capacity don't make much difference to the test voltage. If a battery passes this test it will start any engine that is in good working order.

CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) is measure at -18c and is defined as the current the battery can produce for 30 seconds without the voltage dropping below 7.2v

[Edited on 31/10/12 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

lordbenny

posted on 2/11/12 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
Hey guess what?

Bought m'self a new battery today (480 cc amp) and looks like my problem has been solved!

lordbenny

posted on 7/11/12 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
No it hasn't, started first time I tried with the new battery then half an hour later I tried again and NOTHING!

No spark, nothing.

The engine is cranking at a million miles an hour but wont fire up!

steve m

posted on 7/11/12 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
While putting the battery in its holder, you have displaced somthing
lordbenny

posted on 7/11/12 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
While putting the battery in its holder, you have displaced something

You reckon?

I must admit I thought I may have done just that but I checked the earths and all other connections but it still wouldn't fire up! Will have another loo tomorrow.

Jenko

posted on 8/11/12 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
I've not read the entire thread so apologies if this has been said before......Back to basics, compression, timing, spark and fuel. These are the fundementals of getting the engine started.........

If the engine is now spinning freely with the new battery, and you STILL have no spark then your ignition cct is clearly at fault. First question is how have you verified there is no spark?. I would look at all spade connections to the coil, your distributor, and earth points.....

MY BLOG - http://westfieldv8.blogspot.co.uk/

lordbenny

posted on 8/11/12 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
Going to take off the earths again and file them/ wire brush them...again today!
Jenko

posted on 8/11/12 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
To be fair, if you have done this already, then they are probably ok......Can you check the voltage to the coil?. Use a dvm to do this, should see 12v when ignition is on...If this is ok, then the fault must be beyond the coil.

MY BLOG - http://westfieldv8.blogspot.co.uk/

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.