Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Alloy hubs and bearings
loggyboy

posted on 28/8/13 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
The freezing alone trick didnt work, they must not have shrunk by much, if at all, in my domestic freezer. Didnt try the heating. at the mo ive tapped them in a mm or 2, stopped going further till i decide to continue hammering, remove and try heat for hubs AND freezing of shells, or to take them to my mates garage and press them.

I found the rear steels ones very easy (see the build thread update).

The old ones came out with a drift and hammer, and the new ones when it with a small hammering to get them started and pressed them the rest of the way with a vice.
I think alot depends on the type of bearing. Tapered go in easier as you only have to be rough with the shell.

Mistral Motorsport

Mr Whippy

posted on 28/8/13 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
So are the bearings in yet????

Freezing the steel is a waste of time anyway unless you have liquid nitrogen at hand as they shrink a tiny amount. Heating the hubs up in the oven is the correct way as the aluminium expands a lot. The shell would then just drop in.

Can't believe how many comments there were about the mysterious if not mystical changing of the metals property in a domestic oven, seriously it's just a car wheel hub

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Litemoth

posted on 28/8/13 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
Press them in.

As I said, heating and cooling will often stress-relieve bearings (especially cheap Chinese ones). Bearings are ground to microns (0.001mm) accuracy and any upset (thermal or impact shock) will cause them to change shape and fail sooner than necessary...as will bearing housings that are out of shape or too tight.

There are stories that some of the alloy hubs being way out of tolerance though (often oversize)

Mine took about 3-4 Tonne to push into my alloy housing. A Fiesta rear (double bearing) I did recently took 10 tonne to push out and about 6 to push back in (std road car with steel bearing housing)

Driving them in with a hammer and a drift wouldn't have been an option

britishtrident

posted on 28/8/13 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Litemoth
Press them in.

As I said, heating and cooling will often stress-relieve bearings (especially cheap Chinese ones). Bearings are ground to microns (0.001mm) accuracy and any upset (thermal or impact shock) will cause them to change shape and fail sooner than necessary...as will bearing housings that are out of shape or too tight.

There are stories that some of the alloy hubs being way out of tolerance though (often oversize)

Mine took about 3-4 Tonne to push into my alloy housing. A Fiesta rear (double bearing) I did recently took 10 tonne to push out and about 6 to push back in (std road car with steel bearing housing)

Driving them in with a hammer and a drift wouldn't have been an option

If you seriously think heating any steel to sub-200c temperatures will stress relieve or make any other difference to any steel you are pretty wide of the mark For the types of steel used for bearings (istr 1% Carbon + 0.45% Mn + 1.4%Cr) once it has been heat treated hardening by quenching from 850c then tempered by reheating to a lower temperature and slow cooling nothing short of 500c will have any effect, the stress relief temperature would be in the order of 650c held for along period.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

loggyboy

posted on 28/8/13 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
All done, heated the hubs and they did almost fall in, just the lightest of persuasion. I didn't heat the bearings anyway, although the shells would have had some heat transferred to them but I'm sure they will be fine.

Mistral Motorsport

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.