Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: MK Indy Busa weighing 542kg...
ludobenc

posted on 21/11/13 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
my Indy r 1340 with car battery, 15 revolution wheels with 225 rear (very very heavy) reverse and half tank weighted 530 kg.
i hope to buy a set of 13 TD, and remove reverse this winter, to arrive at 499

a friend with indy r r1, 13 TD wheels, no reverse weighted 420

http://www.youtube.com/user/LudoBenc

sam919

posted on 26/11/13 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
It can turn into quite a infatuation trying to reduce the weight of a 7.

Paint thickness, carbon (as been said $$), using half as many rivets in panelling especially when bonding as well, drilling everything that isnt structural, inc bolts, driveshafts can be gun drilled, diff casing fins can be reduced, thinner ali than used/ carbon sheet, using less silicone hose in cooling system minimising the over lap onto coolant pipe, wire runs kept to a minimum, battery close to the starter also to reduce wire run, ali wheel bolts (not for racing), swapping heavy materials for light weight alternatives.

Its good fun, and a a balance between lightness and operational limits/ engineering limits .............safety!!

coozer

posted on 27/11/13 at 01:08 AM Reply With Quote
I surprised to find my MNR CEC, with a 1.8 zetec and type 9 was 525kg at SVA. Though it would have been higher..

Then a change to ali bellhousing, Wilwood calipers and 13" wheels took it down a bit further BUT adding the front bit of the cage, which by the way I added to it, stuck 20kg back on.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

PAUL FISHER

posted on 27/11/13 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
The problem is why we are getting big variations in weights of cars, is not down to pub talk etc, in my opinion is how the cars are weigh, as "coozer" said above his car weigh 525kg's at SVA. At SVA they are mainly interested in total axle weights not so much overal weight, so they weigh each axle and just add these together, and some take that as the weight of your car, and it is not, my first Indy fireblade weigh something like 440kgs at IVA, but when weigh electronic scale for me by Chris Mason it weigh 496KG's.
He also weigh my ZX10R turbo MK Indy R, this came in at 486KG's if I recall, but that had Hi Spec brakes all round, light weight full cage, Raceleda alloy front uprights, race battery etc, and full Indy R spec.

[img] Rescued attachment cadwellfeb5[1] (996 x 555) (996 x 555).jpg
Rescued attachment cadwellfeb5[1] (996 x 555) (996 x 555).jpg
[/img]

[img] Rescued attachment newark8 (800 x 533).jpg
Rescued attachment newark8 (800 x 533).jpg
[/img]

[img] Rescued attachment Indy usa.jpg
Rescued attachment Indy usa.jpg
[/img]

[Edited on 19/05/04 by PAUL FISHER]

sam919

posted on 27/11/13 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
Using corner weight scales has to be the most accurate, although I get the concept your aiming at, from a consistency point of view you need a single method.

My blade fisher was 420, and the caterham duratec was 515. The fisher could have been lighter and so could the caterham, it would be good to be the next build under 400!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.