<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: RIP Mandela....
Theshed

posted on 7/12/13 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ken555
He was a terrorist.
Remember, the difference between "freedom fighter" and "terrorists" is purely in the eye of the beholder.
He just happened to be a terrorist who was on the right side of the fight.

Is a terrorist on "the right side of the fight" not a freedom fighter? If the targeting directly or indirectly of civilians is terrorism then presumably Churchill's decision to bomb civilian centers amounted to terrorism as did Truman's decision to fire bomb and later nuke Japanese cities. Surely those decisions were far more extreme than anything done by the ANC? Noting your location I would ask whether Robbie the Bruce, Wallace or the Bonnie Prince are generally referred to as terrorists?

What the young black African above is politely pointing out to you is: who are you to judge the proper reaction to an oppressive regime which dictated where a black could live, walk, work and who they could sleep with? I know where I would stand and did stand. I supported the armed struggle morally and by donations to the dedicated individuals sleeping for years on the steps of the SA Embassy.

JoelP

posted on 8/12/13 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
Well said you last two. I think some people labour the terrorist aspect because they want to hold a contrary opinion.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

brum_gustavo

posted on 8/12/13 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
Whatever opinion one might have about Mandela, this thread only confirms how important he was. Yet, if he was such a terrorist, once in power after 27 years in jail, it would semm natural for hiw to make south african whites go through the same suffering apartheid did to black people, yet, he struggled to bring peace and mutual understanding, and the fact that, unlike most political leaders of Africa or elsewhere, he stepped down after his first term as president (instead of using his popularity to stay in power for a second term, as in most democracies, or until his death like so manyothers)
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 9/12/13 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
I think perhaps if those who choose to damage Mandela's reputation took the time to find out exactly what he did and didn't do and did and the policies advocated and didn't advocate they would realise theier argument simply vanishes on closer examination.

Apartheid is such an evil concept and the freedom to protest was put down with such extreme measures that the ANC's [I] " terrorism " [/I] was justiied.
Sharpville Massacre BBC Link

There are plenty of good sources on Mandela on the web why not find out for yourself.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Scuzzle

posted on 9/12/13 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
Mandella admits to his part in the numerous killings of civilian women and children in his autobiography, he does say he's sorry about it though.
carpmart

posted on 9/12/13 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
There is no clear unequivocal position here on either side. Mandela clearly did 'stuff' which even he believes he shouldn't have done. Sure he made a huge difference to SA over te years, but to hold him in such untainted and high esteem as some do, I find difficult personally to do. Unsurprisingly i personally find apartheid abhorrent too, but I really do get frustrated that both sides of the Mandela camp have such views as they do. Should he be revered in the way he is by many right now, no he shouldn't. Should he be vilified in the way he is by the other camp, no he shouldn't.

As I said in my first post, I feel ambivalent to Mandela.

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.