Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: KLDE larger displacement than 2.5L??
KFC

posted on 7/11/14 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by v8kid
quote:
Originally posted by Ugg10
. Finally, a normal mod is to use the Mondeo single piece fly wheel rather than the dual mass Jag one.

Just to clarify the mondeo 4 cylinder models have an 8 bolt fixing flywheel and the 6 cylinder models have the same 6 bolt fixing as the jag but are dual mass flywheel.

What solid flywheel do you reckon fits?

Cheers

I don't actually know but it was only 2 hours for a good machinist to lighten my flywheel an put the 8 holes in it. He copied my standard flywheel to insure a perfect match.
It meant that I could use the same clutch, gearbox, starter for proper engagement. A whole list of potential problems solved just by using the flywheel that came with the gearbox.
What car are you thinking of? I'm doing a RX8.

Kevin

KFC

posted on 7/11/14 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ugg10
Have you been in touch with clairetoo on here aka crapengineering.weebly.com. She knows quite a bit about thi KL engine and has fitted them in a fury and mx5. She has engineered a throttle body set up and mx5 gearbix fitting kit. There is quite a numbervof posts on mx5nutz about this engine. Also quite a bit on mx6.com on turboing it.

Clairetoo hasn't got back in touch with me after I wasn't happy with the accuracy of an adapter plate that was made. I was happy enough to make the alterations and I've sent countless emails but not one reply.

v8kid

posted on 7/11/14 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote

What car are you thinking of? I'm doing a RX8.

Kevin

The jag engine is going in my wife's Mk 3 NC MX5 shopping car - I just haven't told her yet

Bruce on MX Nutz has done it with a Mk 2 but the Mk3 is quite different being based on the RX running gear I think.

The gearbox is a I4 duratec bolt pattern rotated 10 degrees and I have a flexplate Jag 3.0 to fit.

Problem is I don't want it to be off the road for long when I do it so am trying to plan in advance and its a pain getting CAD dimensions and working out clutch spline fits. ( the adaptor plate throws the gearbox input shaft splines further back from the driven plate splines reducing engagement)

More apologies to KFC for hijacking

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DIY Si

posted on 7/11/14 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
One of the main reasons for picking the KL over the duratec is the size and weight. The KL is tiny.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

v8kid

posted on 7/11/14 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
One of the main reasons for picking the KL over the duratec is the size and weight. The KL is tiny.

I did some research and this appears to be a myth. It all depends on whose figures you believe and what is or is not included. In circumstances like this there is very probably nothing much to differentiate.

Also Clair on this forum has installed a KL and Bruce on MX5 nuts a Jag 3.0 both into MX5's and both look a tight fit so again I would suggest there is nothing to choose on size or weight.

Both require adapter plates and, currently, both have individual throttle bodies added to fit so nothing to choose between there.The issue seems to be the flywheel/clutch/first motion shaft fits.

The jag has more grunt but with the throttle bodies will loose much of the torque advantage of the standard manifold but retain the extra power.

Logically there is not much in it. IMHO of course

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
KFC

posted on 7/11/14 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

I did some research and this appears to be a myth. It all depends on whose figures you believe and what is or is not included.

Well, I'm looking at a jag 3.0L tomorrow to take measurements, and to be fair, if it's near identical then I'll take it. The measurements I'll take, I'll end up posting here against my MX6 2.5L. I don't include the sump or inlet as they all change in any conversion. I'm really currious now.. Could be a very cheap mod as the only thing that I've done for certain is had an adapter plate made and bought some headers cheap and cut the clearance holes in the bulkhead. A turbo or supercharger is an expensive mod, I'd like to keep it naturally asperated.
Watch this space......

40inches

posted on 7/11/14 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Measurements:
Crank to widest part of head= Cam cover 42cm
Crank to top of head, at intake face 28cm
Cam cover to cam cover outside measurement 58cm
Crank pulley face to bell housing face 49cm
Crank to bottom of bell housing 19cm
The bottom of the sump is around 20mm below the bell housing.

DIY Si

posted on 7/11/14 at 11:48 PM Reply With Quote
The measurements I have for my KL are:

Widest point: Standard exhaust manifold to exhaust manifold 550mm,
Height: Bottom of standard sump to top of cam gear cover 570mm,
Front of crank pulley to rear face of block 480mm.

So whilst the KL looks smaller, there's less in it than I had expected to be honest. I'm unsure of the weight of the KL, as I think it's 100Kgs but I don't know what ancillaries this includes.

I won't know for sure until I weigh mine, but having had a 2.5 Duratec V on my bench before, the KL feels lighter.

[Edited on 7/11/14 by DIY Si]

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

KFC

posted on 8/11/14 at 05:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

So whilst the KL looks smaller, there's less in it than I had expected to be honest. I'm unsure of the weight of the KL, as I think it's 100Kgs but I don't know what ancillaries this includes.

I won't know for sure until I weigh mine, but having had a 2.5 Duratec V on my bench before, the KL feels lighter.

I've got scales so I'll weigh mine bare...

KFC

posted on 8/11/14 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
Measurements:
Crank to widest part of head= Cam cover 42cm
Crank to top of head, at intake face 28cm
Cam cover to cam cover outside measurement 58cm
Crank pulley face to bell housing face 49cm
Crank to bottom of bell housing 19cm
The bottom of the sump is around 20mm below the bell housing.

Looks good! I went out to measure a jag v6 3.0 today and this is what I found. I failed to measure the overall width of the heads, well, I measured the widest point at the back of the engine and got different figures. This point of measuring is critical to the bulkhead. If you don't mind checking mine against yours that would be helpful!
I'll post detailed dimensions of the klde shortly.
Agreed on the length of the engine..

[img][/img]

[Edited on 8/11/14 by KFC]

v8kid

posted on 8/11/14 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
Oops! I gave some bum info there I just noticed your flywheel has 8 bolts and I said they had 6! Went out and checked mine and it has 8 as well. That means the blasted CAD drawing I have that is supposed to be the Jag bellhousing bolt pattern is duff 'cos it shows 6.

Ho hum 2 steps forward one step back

Cheers!

KFC

posted on 8/11/14 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Oops! I gave some bum info there I just noticed your flywheel has 8 bolts and I said they had 6! Went out and checked mine and it has 8 as well. That means the blasted CAD drawing I have that is supposed to be the Jag bellhousing bolt pattern is duff 'cos it shows 6.

Ho hum 2 steps forward one step back

Cheers!

Ah what a shame..
It took me a while to find a genuine accurate cad drawing of the klde bellhousing but have one and proved it's a good genuine drawing. I weighed my engine without any auxilaries and sump, quite bare, 105kg. The alternator weighs 6kg and the sump is 3kg so that's 114kg. I saw somewhere that a Jag engine bare with an alternator weighed 140kg?

First one just showing the scale is set to zero on jack stands.

[img][/img]

Actual weight.

[img][/img]

KFC

posted on 8/11/14 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Photo shows the scale zero set.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

DIY Si

posted on 9/11/14 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
Be careful measuring the back of the engine as the front of the right cam cover is the highest point. Otherwise, pretty much as what I measured, which is good to know!

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

KFC

posted on 9/11/14 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Be careful measuring the back of the engine as the front of the right cam cover is the highest point. Otherwise, pretty much as what I measured, which is good to know!

It's ok for my installation as I have loads of room under the bonnet, the very minium at the front from the inlet face I have 20cm. My issue is between the clutch master and the heater matrix pipes.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.