Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ex up or not
ChrisGamlin

posted on 27/4/05 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by short track 123
I think tunners like to show big numbers on the dyno to people who are spending becouse the 1st thing people ask is whats the BHP.

Jason

That may be true of some, but if all tuners just produced peaky top end tuning products people would soon start shying away from them. If you look at race R1s, they'll want the best power spread possible yet they all junk it too.
It might gain you 1 or 2 bhp in the midrange somewhere but if it was that significant then Im sure many more tuning shops / race bikes would keep it.

[Edited on 27/4/05 by ChrisGamlin]

short track 123

posted on 27/4/05 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
I've seen them on F1 cars to improve midrange.But then again they can sort the software to get the thing to open when it needs to.
If you know of any one who can sort the software on the Yam ECU let me know.
And i will put 1 on a dyno and see what
happens.
I know some people with bikes that would be intrested as well.

Jason

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
ChrisGamlin

posted on 28/4/05 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
See Paul's comments above, there's appears to be no need to sort the software in the Yam ECU if you disconnect it unless you need to use the dash as a dash.

Ive not noticed anything like that on an F1 car before, have you got any pics? The F1 exhausts Ive seen (when they show them on the dyno or on a stand at Autosport etc) are usually only about 50cm long and of a regular design coming straight out the bodywork sidepods almost as soon as they go into the collector, I would have thought an EXUP type valve would rob them of too much top end to be worthwhile but I might be wrong.

At the end of the day the BECs seem to perform well enough with no lack of mid range without them, the british superbikes don't use them as far as Im aware so for me there seems little point making the exhaust look like a dogs breakfast and then not significantly gain anything

cheers

Chris

[Edited on 28/4/05 by ChrisGamlin]

short track 123

posted on 28/4/05 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
Have no pic's i would get the sack.They didn't put them on show engine or in press photo's.Some teams in the 3.5Lt days did have them.Don't think they are still used.May be not allowed any more? Not up to date with the reg's.

Still i agree a bit of scrap hanging off the side of a car for at best i would think 1 or 2% in the midrange.Not on my car thanks.

Good to torque about these things it gets the grey stuff going.

Jason

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
ChrisGamlin

posted on 28/4/05 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting, wonder why they'd want to keep that a secret specifically, its not as if its rocket science technology any more so than the rest of the engine etc. I guess any team using them would have needed to scrap them when they went to chimney exhausts exiting on the top of the bodywork just cos there's no space for it?

Hows your R1ot coming along, they look a quite neat little package from what Ive seen in the mags?

[Edited on 28/4/05 by ChrisGamlin]

shauwny

posted on 28/4/05 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Riot

Hi there, I'm off to stoneleigh this weekend to have a look at the Riot with the alloy zetec in it. Still not sure if to go bike or car engined. I would be interested to here how the build is going also.
short track 123

posted on 28/4/05 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Not got the chassis yet only ordered from sylva 2 weeks ago.

But on the drive side have been burning in oil.
Will be using a neat Diff that bolts onto the engine so no chain also has reversing gear built in and it has LSD to boot ( If i could post a pic i would but computers are realy not my thing )

The engine side of thing I'm going to try some thing different and use a Triumph 3 cyl ( the one with carbs )
I used the engine for some dev work a few year ago it's bit tiered now but new liners,pistons,and rings have been ordered.Mains and big ends i have a few sets from the dev project and are now in.
It did make some good power and i have a few new things to try ( If it go's bang we'll think again )

cheers

Jason

[Edited on 28/4/05 by short track 123]

evo3500

posted on 29/4/05 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
exup to be or not to be ?

Try this one www.jbracing.co.uk they do aR1 exup motor replacement module desisned to trick the ecu that you have a servo fitted prevents the fault codes,on the rev counter and prevents any restriction to the cdi mapping,they fit it to track bikes to unleash more power.
you now you have to have it ive got one on my gt1,no tacho faults,but yet to drive it on the road.

Good luck regards Simon

progers

posted on 2/5/05 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
Exup replacement

Sorry to wee on your fire Evo, but you have just spent £80 on something that will do nothing to enhance the performance of your R1. As I have mentioned before, the removal of the exup valve will not change any ignition maps (race teams do this all the time - if there was any loss in power they would notice!). If you notice even on the jbracing site they say "possible" ignition problems. Its marketing bullshit.

The only benefit this device will give you is the removal of "tacho tango" if you use the R1 clocks. As stated before in this thread though, if you short the exup wires wou will only get an indication on the tacho when the engine is off with ignition switched on, any other time when the engine is running you will not get any problems at all.

As I said, sorry to give you the bad news but I just want to avoid other people getting ripped off for something that claims to do something it doesn't. If you you doubt me just ask jbracing for a before and after dyno plot to see the "extra" they get. I'll bet you get zippo response.

All the best

Paul

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.