Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bondage!
David Jenkins

posted on 4/12/02 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
I left the paint on when I fitted the panels - the polyurethane was meant to be more of a sealant than a glue, with the rivets doing the mechanical work.

The fact that PU is a very good glue is a bonus, as far as I'm concerned.

David

philgregson

posted on 4/12/02 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
If expansion was a problem with glue it would surely be a problem with rivets too.

There is not much point in bonding with a glue with give in it, as part of the concept of bonding with glue is to increase the stifness by increasing the bonding between the chassis and panels as compared to rivets.

As regards painting - I've given this some thought and I think that painting the chassis with a strip of masking tape along all bonded surfaces is probably the answer.

interestedparty

posted on 6/12/02 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by philgregson
If expansion was a problem with glue it would surely be a problem with rivets too.

Not really, the holes in the rivets can elongate slightly, the rivet material can distort slightly, the aluminium can crease slightly between rivets.
I wasn't recommending using a glue with 'give', simply suggesting that using a hard glue was not without possible problems.
On balance, I would recommend using a PU type sealant and rivets

John

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

gjn200

posted on 11/12/02 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
I'm gonna use this stuff:
http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/s/SIRPF15LM/

Along with some rivets,(inner panels, tunnel etc) manly becouse getting the drill in is gonna be a right bugger and 90 degree ones are £££.

Graham

ProjectLMP

posted on 12/12/02 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
I would personally stay away from using just adhesives if you want the panel to be structural in any way. The pro's can do it but it takes a lot more technology than we have. Some of the epoxy based glues have good shear strength but they all have pretty poor peel strength. The technique used in a lot of race car construction is to use structural rivets and structural epoxy adhesive. if maximum strength isn't required then you can substitute sealer for the epoxy. In both cases make sure that the metal is perfectly clean e.g. lightly sand and then wipe with acetone JUST before bonding.

One trick you can use to keep paint/rust from the areas of the chassis to be paneled is to use masking tape. With a suitable kind of tape you can also use this technique when getting the chassis powder coated. This leaves nice clean metal to bond the panels to.

Someone was asking about preformed panels. Are you referring to honeycomb panels or something else?

Home of the Astronomicalcost Mid engined LMP project

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 12/12/02 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gjn200
I'm gonna use this stuff:
http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/s/SIRPF15LM/

That's a respectable price, if anyone needs the stuff.

David

MakeEverything

posted on 5/8/08 at 03:36 AM Reply With Quote
I used to work at a well known Automotive paint manufacturer starting wtih Du (Not Dulux!!), and they had a number of factory chassis from manufacturers like Aston Martin, Lotus, Ford etc for testing, and they all use PU adhesives for fibreglass repairs, and even for sticking parts of the chassis together, in order to use less rivets or welds. The PU Glue is as strong as a weld, and rarely cracks. Its a definite part of my build, though im going to weld the chassis, and just use glue on sheet metal or fibreglass. Square or round tube IS better welded, because of the limited surface area.

[Edited on 5/8/08 by MakeEverything]

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.