Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: unavoidable accidents in Locosts
Liam

posted on 10/11/02 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson
My Jag xj-s V12 would break away on a mini roundabout on just 1/3 throttle at low speed in the wet - a lot of torque isnt always a good thing.

Funny you should mention that - now I dont feel too ashamed to own up Only last week I managed to spin my 4.2 XJ6 180 degrees in exactly the same situation

I was wondering whether it had an LSD or not and [like a fool] thought that if I tickle the throttle a little it might spin the inside wheel on the way out of this mini roundabout and help me decide. Couldn't believe what happened next - it was virtually at idle speed, through an AUTO gearbox, I just prodded the loud pedal and essentially did half a donut! Completely astounded it happened so easily, I mean it weighs 2 tonnes. Scary.

Luckily I didn't hit a single thing and there was not a soul around to see it, so i just drove back onto the roundabout and carried on my way. It was actually all rather graceful and sedate. I guess 240lb ft, RWD and wet roads (and a twat) dont mix.

I'm not surprised at all to learn most W*fields etc meet their end as a result of RWD biting ya head off if you make a mistake in the wet. In fact thinking back I have two mates who wrote off their parent's Sierra and Carlton respectively in similar 180 degrees into a wall fashion.

So sod impact protection - just dont go out in the rain (unless you have 4WD)

Liam

[Edited on 10/11/02 by Liam]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stephen_gusterson

posted on 10/11/02 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Funny you should mention that - now I dont feel too ashamed to own up Only last week I managed to spin my 4.2 XJ6 180 degrees in exactly the same situation[Edited on 10/11/02 by Liam]

The XJS and the series 3 have the same chassis/flooor tray and suspension. So, its likely it HAS got a limited slip cos my 89 did.

A torque converter does what it says on the tin. It turns some of the bhp into amplified torque - its not just a slipping clutch. This helps the car accellerate away better with fewer gears.

I never did a biggie on mine - it was always obvious. Closest I got to trashing it was coming off a big roundabout - hit a massive patch of diesel and went into the mother of all tank slappers. Just missed the central armco. My kids then asked me if I had done that for a laff!

Told plod in a police car 200yds away about this lethal slick, and basically they went back to their donuts and coffee.

atb

steve

interestedparty

posted on 11/11/02 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

The XJS and the series 3 have the same chassis/flooor tray and suspension. So, its likely it HAS got a limited slip cos my 89 did.

Only the XJS and the XJ12 came with LSD as standard, LSD was special option on XJ6 (all series, including XJ40)

If you're not sure, jack the rear up so both wheels are off the ground, and the car in neutral. Turn one wheel and watch the other. If it goes round the same way, then it's an LSD if if turns the opposite way then normal diff

John

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

liftarn

posted on 5/12/02 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by interestedparty
I know that head-on happens sometimes, because the other driver has pulled out of a side road (I didn't see you). Anything else?. Anyone know of a seven-style car that has been hit in the side?

I read about a case whwre a Locost was hit in the side when pulling out of a side road (I didn't see you). It seems visibility (or lack of it) is a major factor for sevens.

Perhaps I should rethink my choise of BRG...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jollygreengiant

posted on 5/12/02 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
I did it in my Mk1 cortina ( see prior posts for engine spec).
Ok it was Icy (Black ice, already clocked that) but grandad was doing 10mph in car in front. 12:30 in morning (going home from girl friends, now wife) no trafic on road, waited for 1.5mile straight, pulled out carefully, paused, breathed gently (with feather) on loud pedal.
Next thing I know ive done a perfect 180 ending up faceing wrong way on the starting side of the road, watching grandad disapear in rearview mirror.

just Gotta love those sharp learning curves.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.