Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Wheels
OX

posted on 1/5/05 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
loads of us have used 17" wheels and i still think they look good even tho iv used 15" this time but its a bit of an insult judging the quality of build by the size of the wheels

richardR1

posted on 1/5/05 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
Suprisingly for someone choosing to run 17's I do have a reasonable grasp of the compromises of running that size of wheel, particularly with reference to unsprung weight and the lack of warning when approaching the limits of adhesion. However I do think that these drawbacks do tend to be exaggerated to a certain extent by the advocates of the smaller rims. The fitment of larger rims certainly doesn't mean that a car is going to handle like a basket case.
In my case the car is being built as a fun road car, and as such the public highway is not the place to be exploring a car's on the limit handling, be it on 17's or skateboard wheels. I hope therefore to have fun safely on my ridiculous wheels, and if the need arises to push it that bit further, rest assured it will be on a set of 13" minilites with Dunlop moulded slicks off the Mini in my Avatar

Rorty

posted on 1/5/05 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OX
loads of us have used 17" wheels and i still think they look good even tho iv used 15" this time but its a bit of an insult judging the quality of build by the size of the wheels

As I said, I estimate people either put form before function, OR, they haven't a bloody clue. Read what you like depending on your preferences. I also said: IMHO which I'm entitled to, harsh or otherwise.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Rorty

posted on 1/5/05 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by richardR1
Suprisingly for someone choosing to run 17's I do have a reasonable grasp of the compromises of running that size of wheel, particularly with reference to unsprung weight and the lack of warning when approaching the limits of adhesion. However I do think that these drawbacks do tend to be exaggerated to a certain extent by the advocates of the smaller rims. The fitment of larger rims certainly doesn't mean that a car is going to handle like a basket case.
In my case the car is being built as a fun road car, and as such the public highway is not the place to be exploring a car's on the limit handling, be it on 17's or skateboard wheels. I hope therefore to have fun safely on my ridiculous wheels, and if the need arises to push it that bit further, rest assured it will be on a set of 13" minilites with Dunlop moulded slicks off the Mini in my Avatar

Good for you! You put form before function, but intend fitting smaller, grippier tyres before you break traction.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
richardR1

posted on 1/5/05 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe if I stick it backwards through a hedge you will have to reassess your conclusion and put me in the 'haven't got a bloody clue' category!
Benzine

posted on 1/5/05 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
I'm going to fit 21" alloys

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

john_p_b

posted on 2/5/05 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
I'm going to fit 21" alloys

with spinners!!!!!!!

type r1

posted on 2/5/05 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
hi peeps.

hope everyone is well and enjoying the fantastic sevening weather!

i had a very nasty accident in a car with 17" rims, partly caused by the fact that my driven wheels lost traction and broke away without any warning. admittedly, i had a bike engine in the car and i was a novice at the time, but you cannot escape the fact that a lack of tyre wall flexibility was a major contributor. i spoke about this very subject at the time, but some people never learn.
why do track sevens and formula1 cars run high tyre walls?
even rally cars run 15s on forest stages.
this fashion for massive rims comes from touring cars. they weigh a good deal more than a seven and need larger wheels to accomodate larger discs. sevens don't need big brakes, so they don't need big wheels, period.
loads of sevens are actually over braked, especially at the back. why else would people be fitting brake bias valves?
this argument has little to do with whether a car is run on the track or on the road.
i was travelling at 40 mph when my accident happened, and i certainly wasn't "exploring the limits of adhesion" or doing anything else crazy.
you are actually endangering your life when you put a bike engine into a car that weighs 450 kg and then fitting 40 profile tyres.
apart from the issues of rotational inertia and the effect that has on braking and the gyroscopic effect of big heavy wheels and the effect that has on steering.
rorty has a very important point to make, in that the fundamental principle of design is that "form follows function". he has been diplomatic enough to say in my humble opinion (imho), so why the tough guy attitudes?
i, too, would question the integrity and safety of a design, if it contained obvious flaws. you would have to be ignorant not to.
so give rorty a break. he is only concerned about your safety, as am i. i, for one, would not want anyone to go through what i went through last year, and i'm sure none of you guys would either.

kindest regards,
dom

[Edited on 2/5/05 by type r1]

john_p_b

posted on 2/5/05 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
oh er!

i think folks are maybe getting carried away here. rorty has imo come across as being rather harsh on those who do fit 17"s on their cars. i think everyone knows 17"s do effect the way the car will handle etc etc but i think what some ppl maybe need to realise is not everyone is building a 7type for track use or country lane thrashings etc.

my 2p worth anyway.

Benzine

posted on 2/5/05 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by john_p_b
oh er!

i think folks are maybe getting carried away here. rorty has imo come across as being rather harsh on those who do fit 17"s on their cars. i think everyone knows 17"s do effect the way the car will handle etc etc but i think what some ppl maybe need to realise is not everyone is building a 7type for track use or country lane thrashings etc.

my 2p worth anyway.

Exactly. I'm not going to drive my 7 like a crazy foreign taxy driver. The last thing I want to do is die. That's the whole point of life, not dying.

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

type r1

posted on 2/5/05 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
dudes.

if you're planning on using your seven for doing the weekly food shop, rather than blatting around on b roads, it doesn't really matter how you set the chassis up, does it? just be sure to stick to the a roads and motorways and try to avoid going faster than 30 mph around roundabouts.
should be fine then.

kindest regards,
dom.

OX

posted on 2/5/05 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
dom ,you make me laugh.the big wheels can hardly be to blame for the 10 miles that you got to do in your car before bending it and to say you wernt giving it any beans when it spun out brings tears of laughter to my eyes,you make out that they have no grip at all when in fact they do have plenty of grip and they can be caught and drove sideways just not as nice and easy as 13" or 15" wheels.
this of course,in the lame ass way,is all IMHO

indykid

posted on 2/5/05 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
so then o mighty sages of all things handling, if i were to be looking to get a set of 13/14" minilite splitrims, what size tyres should i be looking at putting on them? what size rims should i be looking to get?

iirc, the 185/70/13s that were on the donor give a rolling radius within 3/4 mm of 205/40/17s but would guess they would need to be slightly lower profile side walls, to take some of the wallow within the tyre out. what about width? i've picked up that narrow is best for the wet, but what about dry?

i am your clay, mould me
not with your hands though
tom

DEAN C.

posted on 2/5/05 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
Just remember this is a debate and we are all entitled to our own opinions as long as you dont go bigger than 15"!

Once I've finished a project why do I start another?

Jasalarms

posted on 2/5/05 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone want a set of 15" octane black with 205 r888 rubber!!!!

Was the first, but now just one of many!!!

type r1

posted on 2/5/05 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
ox and indykid.

no offence intended and none taken.

kindest regards,

dom.

richardR1

posted on 2/5/05 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
I think one or two people are getting a little carried away with the notion that 17 inch wheels are a sure recipe for death and carnage unless you drive to Asda on tickover. Both the Elise 111R and the VX220 Turbo run 17 inch wheels on 45 series tyres and whilst not as light as a BEC they are fundamentally light and very powerful cars. They also happen to be praised highly for their handling prowess.

I have also used a Williams Clio for the last 8 years for sprints, trackdays and road use on 17's and found it very easy to control on the limit. It was also a second a lap faster round a sprint at Elvington than it was on the same day on standard 15 inch.

I think everyone should be allowed to make their own choice without others questioning their decision.

But maybe one day I will see the light and buy those CXR's you seem to have had for a while type r1.

type r1

posted on 2/5/05 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
richardr1.

point taken.

not real cxrs unfortunately. would love a set of them, though!

kindest regards,

dom.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.